Bartlett Audio Bass Microphone

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by james condino, Jul 29, 2018.

1. james condino

james condino Spruce dork Supporting Member Commercial User

Sep 30, 2007
    asheville, nc
    At my Django gig Saturday I had the opportunity to meet and chat it up with Bruce Bartlett. He is the mind behind Bartett Audio and makes very nice small microphones for the spectrum of instruments, including a bass specific one, all built right here in Asheville, North Carolina. He's got solid street cred: 30 years experience working for Sure and Crown, authoring 8 books, and he is a musician. I have no financial interest; strictly bass nerd interest. He kindly dropped off several of his mics for demo here at the shop.

First impressions are very good soundwise. His prices are also fair- by selling direct to the customer, they are very competitively priced at just under $180. I'll be giving them a workout locally and fellow talkbass nerds are welcome to come by and give them a good test....

Bass Mic

2. Jay Corwin

Jay Corwin Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    Definitely interested in hearing your opinions on this. After using the RS Mic a few years ago, I started experimenting making my own mini condensers similar to this. Eventually I just went back to pickups because of the volume considerations.

The price point on this is attractive.

3. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    it all comes down to feedback and bleed. how does it do?

MDrost1 likes this.
  4. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    You Don't Know What Love Is, aah what a great tune, and what beautiful playing. As to the mic, it sounds like a mini condenser, better than either the RS or the Crown minis. The cost is very reasonable,
    and I like the way it mounts. James have you played uptempo tunes with this mic? What usually happens is that they will start picking up the drummer if they start to "bash". The head is designed differently
    from the Countryman I2.

5. richhansen

richhansen

Oct 2, 2006
    Utah
    Endorser of the KSM Foundation Bridge.
    I'm interested in hearing about this mic too. The recorded sample sounds amazing, and you can't beat that price. Have any of you been able to test it out yet to see how feedback/bleed-proof it is? The web page shows what appears to be two ways of mounting the mic; One with the foam between the strings and the mic pointing at the top of the bass, and one with the foam in the f-hole. I wonder which works best?

MDrost1 likes this.
  6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021