1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass amp around 350$ - TC Electronics vs Ashdown vs ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by marekgaw197, Feb 4, 2019.

1. marekgaw197

marekgaw197

Jun 22, 2011
    Hi, i was thinking to sell my current Taurus BL-12 - great amp, but too heavy to move it for every rehersal up to the 2nd floor (about 26kg). I was thinking about something more compact, however loud enough to easily takes rehersals (1 guitar and drums, rock band).
    ATM i had 2 potential ideas : either a lighter combo (the easy way) or a small cab + head.
    For option 1 I was thinking TC Electronics BG250 1*12' or 1*15' if the 12' wont be enought.
    Option 2: my local music store has an ashdown mi10 (10' cabinet 250W, 8ohm, super nice price as it is the last one in store) and I was thinkig to combine it with either ashdown RM220 or TC Electronics BH250/BQ250/BG500 all of which are 4ohm. I may just add, that I don't care too much for the tone print option - not a gamechanger for me.

I always owned a combo, so I have minimal knowledge about head+cab (played many, but owned none :D ). I would be very grateful for any opinions on those amps or some other alternatives both for combos or heads.

2. And I

And I Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Witchtown, MA
    one 10-inch speaker is not going to cut it unless your drummer plays with plastic straws.
    used GK MB 210 might be a nice simple option for you if you can find one. otherwise, any head which can operate at 4 ohms will be totally fine with an 8-ohm cab. you just need more speaker area than one 10.

3. marekgaw197

marekgaw197

Jun 22, 2011
    Ok, so if I rule out the 10' cab, I won't be able to stick with my budget. So cab+head is off my list, which leaves me with the combo. Will the tc bg250 be engough on a single 12' or 15' ?

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 18, 2021