1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass and Drum teamwork

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by tunewriter, Oct 28, 2013.

1. tunewriter

tunewriter

Jul 26, 2012
    Anyone wish to share any tips or tricks, other than listening to the dreaded metronome, that bassists and drummers use to keep perfectly in time. Most drummers often use sticks to get the band to start on beat and the musicians often listen for certain beats or rolls to end together but does anyone have any tricks to stay right on the beat throughout the song. I just get a sick feeling in my gut when my drummer and I are just a fraction off and it seems to happen more then it should. We're all in this together... Thanks for sharing

2. Hamlet7768

Hamlet7768 Here to chew gum and rock. Still have gum.

Jun 5, 2011
    Practice.

Practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice.

Did I mention practice?

3. lweastdad

lweastdad

Feb 5, 2011
    +10 :bassist:

4. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    practice without singer and guitarists

5. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2013
    SEPA
    Definitely practice.
    I will mention that I have heard that some groups play - or at least practice - with a click track in their IEM's...

6. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    First of all, I don't think you literally mean "perfectly" in time, do you? Since there's no such thing as perfection - even amongst the most accomplished professionals. There is only more in sync, or less in sync. :eyebrow:

Yes, practice. But also, learn to listen to one another - very, very closely. At all times. Most out-of-sync playing likely happens when one or more players get lost in their own little worlds, and don't pay close enough attention to what the other(s) is/are doing.

Likewise to simply practice a great deal, without qualifying the type of practice one should be doing, is to miss the whole purpose. The proper type of practice is critical listening practice, in which mistakes are quickly recognized & corrected, and every effort is made to mindfully come to complete musical agreement on how to collectively approach performance.

One hour of proper (i.e. high functioning) practice is worth at least four hours of aimless, unfocused, sloppy practice. :eyebrow:

MM

7. talk to your drummer about counting.
    count out loud to each other at rehearsals...especially if you are doing some syncopated fills together, count 4 or 8 or whatever before the fill.
    tap your foot to the rhythm of the kick drum, and make sure he/she knows are doing this.
    bob your head up and down so your hair is in sync with the snare hits.

8. I'd also recommend using a beat bug when practicing. Lets you know if you are speeding up or slowing down with out worrying about getting out of sync with the metronome.

9. It's kinda like a quarterback/wide receiver combo in football. Some guys mesh well, and some guys just don't. In the end...it's all about timing...