1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bass arrived broken.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mattbass6945, Oct 10, 2018 at 10:16 PM.

1. I had never order a bass online and was nervous about having it shipped. It showed up with a broken headstock. What should be my course of action? Complain to UPS or just get a refund (minus shipping and restocking fees) from the seller?

Attached Files:

Ellery likes this.
  2. Snakeman1066

Snakeman1066 Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2007
    Central Valley
    Yep contact seller...Get a refund or a replacement and let them deal with the carrier...

mcnach, Relsom, Rojd and 13 others like this.
  3. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone. Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    This.

It’s the seller’s packing, carrier choice, and therefore, the seller’s responsibility to resolve the issue.

rtav, Sixgunn, MDBass and 5 others like this.
  4. Thanks, guys. I messaged the seller that it arrived broken and supplied pictures. I'll see what happens. Wish me luck.

Plake, xroads64 and EatS1stBassist like this.
  5. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    ouch, that sucks, nothing worse than a new bass day down the toilet. I live in the same fear and always have the neck popped off for safer shipping and a much cheaper rate. what kind of Epi did you almost get?

SirMjac28 likes this.
  6. themarshall

themarshall

Jun 26, 2008
    cochrane wi
    I think I read Allen Woody.

Bummer.

dalkowski and mattbass6945 like this.
  7. One just wonders what the hell happened to that box for the bass to arrive in that shape...

Bass Man Dan and gebass6 like this.
  8. kohanmike

kohanmike Gold Supporting Member

Same thing happened to me last week, but I buy online all the time. It's an acoustic bass uke from Aquila in Italy and it went through a month long trek all around Italy until it ended up back at Aquila. They sent it again, but when I opened the partly squished box, I found the top was cracked in three placed from the tail to the bridge, the binding was broken at the strap button and the ABS bowl body was cracked to the side of the strap button. Someone obviously dropped it from up high onto the end of the box. In all honestly, it was not packed all that well, in a gig bag in a cardboard box, no padding.

I sent Aquila photos of everything and later that day they said they would send out another with more packing, and not bother to return the broken one, not worth the expense.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018 at 12:39 AM
    SirMjac28 and EatS1stBassist like this.
  9. Epiphone Rumblekat b stock from a reverb store. The bass was repackaged in the original epiphone box using Christmas wrapping paper in place of what should have been bubble wrap.

Bass V likes this.
  10. Old Blastard

Old Blastard

Aug 18, 2013
    Virginia
    Hmm.
    I can't imagine how anything went wrong.

tradernick, rtav, MDBass and 5 others like this.
  11. Exactly. I hope the seller is reasonable, but I suppose if they were reasonable, then they wouldn't have used wrapping paper. Might as well used saran wrap and bricks.

tradernick, nbsipics, rtav and 4 others like this.
  12. pedroims

pedroims

Dec 19, 2007
    Michigan
    Contact the seller and request a refund or another bass. It will be way easier for them to deal with UPS. I have have very bad experiences with UPS and FEDEX when trying to fill a claim for damaged goods, avoid this pain at all costs.

13. TNCreature

TNCreature Jinkies!

Jan 25, 2010
    Philadelphia Burbs
    Sorry this happened.
    Amazing that people who sell for a living try to cheap out on the packaging. This could be avoided.
    Good luck!

pcake likes this.
  14. Element Zero

Element Zero Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    Lol. Merry Christmas!!!

15. Ghook

Ghook

Sep 25, 2018
    Eastern US
    Reverb should be in your court on this.

16. SpazzTheBassist

SpazzTheBassist

Jun 20, 2006
    successful shipping far outweighs unsuccessful shipping -- sorry this happened to you on your first online go......

17. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    I feel your anger and frustration as this happened to me about 15 years ago with a vintage acoustic guitar. I believe the seller pulled the old " bait and switch" on me. The headstock wasn't damaged but the body of the instrument had a hole and multiple cracks in it when it arrived. The photos of the instrument that I thought I had purchased was in perfect condition when I bought it. The seller had sent the instrument in a hardshell case via USPS, when I told him that the instrument was destroyed he told me that he filed an insurance claim but after months of waiting nothing became of it. Ultimately I ended up parting out the instrument in order to get my money back.

I hope that the seller will step up and do the right thing to resolve this for the OP.

TD

18. Acoop

Acoop Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2012
    Seller hires shipper so, it's up to those two to duke it out. ... What did Oswald say, "I'm just a patsy." ... Stay on top of it every week till you get your money.

Rojd likes this.
  19. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Even if you were to get a refund, why would you be responsible for shipping and a restock fee? It's not like you got cold feet and decided not to keep a fully functioning instrument.

xroads64 and ajkula66 like this.