1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bass arrived broken.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mattbass6945, Oct 10, 2018 at 10:16 PM.

1. Big Hoss

Big Hoss Up note, down note, blue note, brown note...

Don't accept being charged for shipping / restocking fees. They failed to ship you an intact instrument. 100% on the seller / shipper.

2. ZAR14

ZAR14

May 15, 2016
    Cleveland,OH
    The seller should be responsible for the item until the time it arrives at your door...

3. jumbodbassman

jumbodbassman Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2009
    Stuck in traffic -NY & CT
    Born Again Tubey
    totally agree. ups will screw the stand alone person every time. did to me twice. no recourse..... a business that uses them all the time they will do the right thing.

4. EatS1stBassist

EatS1stBassist

Apr 15, 2016
    So cal
    30F6AADD-A633-4CBD-933C-814EC625FC8A.
    Another Member mentioned that the retailer told him to keep the bass and they would ship out a new one. If this happens to you that neck headstock break is very easily repaired tight bond and a couple clamps 24 hours later you’ll be able to play that but only if they give you new one and allow you to keep that one.This broken Wildkat took me awhile but it eventually came back together!

Robert B likes this.
  5. EatS1stBassist

EatS1stBassist

Apr 15, 2016
    So cal
    E7A834CB-07AE-418C-AB33-25649EB2BC0A. 30F6AADD-A633-4CBD-933C-814EC625FC8A.

6. If you went through Reverb or Feebay, you will have no problem getting a refund. As a seller, I just went through this scenario. I sold a bass through Reverb and shipped it via Fedex using the Reverb label and protection. Some how Fedex managed the snap the head stock off.:crying: The buyer took pictures and chased down the driver who left it on the doorstep in the rain without the mandatory signature.:rollno: I issued a refund to the buyer and then called Reverb and got squared away with them.:D It took a few phone calls and emails but I finally got reimbursed because I bought the protection from them.:D I have always done well with Fedex but now I will be more cautious when dealing with any carrier as there is sooooooo much incompetence out there now.:banghead:

EatS1stBassist likes this.
  7. scuzzy

scuzzy

Feb 15, 2006
    Troy, MO
    Save all packaging and take as many pics as possible. UPS will wanna see it all. And I had the same happen. UPS always says "insufficient packaging" though, so someone is gonna get reamed.

8. pudge

pudge Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2008
    NY
    'Hog neck ,no volute= disaster waiting to happen.Just add a plane or truck ride.

9. ajkula66

ajkula66

Sep 23, 2016
    NEPA
    Right. That's why every single Gibson/Epiphone-based instrument gets destroyed in shipping and no one ever gets to play them...:rollno:

To OP: sorry to see this has happened to you, stay on top of the seller and accept no less than a full refund including shipping.

Good luck.

Robert B and EatS1stBassist like this.
  10. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    I've never had a package damaged, but one time when I paid for overnight delivery, it wasn't delivered for several days. When I called UPS they said they since I wasn't their customer, they couldn't/wouldn't deal with me and I had to take it up with the store that actually paid for delivery.

11. Larchi

Larchi

Jul 1, 2012
    Vic, Australia
    I do
    I don't really have anything constructive to add - only that you definitely have my genuine sympathy.
    We are all looking for that perfect piece of gear to get our sound or to complete our setup. And when you buy it and find that there's something wrong with it, or it arrives broken, it is truly s**t.

12. Thumpin6string

Thumpin6string Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2013
    Redding CA
    Should have been packed better and the strings should have been loose or removed. Looks like the seller's fault. Hopefully they will take care of it, because UPS might refuse that claim due to poor packing. If you have problems getting it resolved, contact Reverb, they are pretty good to deal with. Good luck!

13. ProfFrink

ProfFrink

Jan 16, 2015
    Well, it sure sucks to get an instrument in this condition, but FWIW, I got at least two basses (that I recall - maybe more) though international shipping that were only protected by the original cardboard box plus another generic box from the retailer. If you design these boxes right, and the shipping company manages not to actually squeeze or bend - it's scary but usually you'll get a bass in perfect condition.

14. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    Reverb has your back no worries...

15. BIGEJ2

BIGEJ2 Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Happy Valley, PA
    NEVER CONTACT THE CARRIER DIRECTLY IN THIS SITUATION.

Damaged in transit is the seller's responsibility to fix. They will take care of it. You should get 100% of your money back then its up to the seller to recuperate its loss.

16. grrg63

grrg63

Dec 14, 2005
    Pittsburgh
    I bought a bass off Reverb last month which was delivered by fedex. I got a tracking number from the seller and created a fedex account and asked for it to be left at the side door in case I wasnt home. As it happened I was home and looked out for it all day. It was a nice day so I had all the windows open. I finally looked out after 4 pm and there it was leaning by my front door. I didnt hear the truck or the driver knocking (if they actually bothered).
    The bass was fine but the point is, with more & more stuff being home delivered every day, you have to keep track of your item every step of the way because the delivery companies either just dont care or dont have time to care.
    Sellers should automatically supply their buyers with which delivery service is being used and a tracking number.

17. Good luck! :thumbsup:

18. It's also worth noting that I found what appeared to be shoe prints on the box as well. I guess this thing didn't have a chance.

Seems like the seller is being reasonable at this point in time.

Attached Files:

Wolford, EatS1stBassist and ProfFrink like this.
  19. I really appreciate all the helpful comments. I've gone from heartbroken to angry and trying to just accept it. It helps to vent here.

20. mrcbass

mrcbass

Jan 14, 2016
    Sacramento, CA
    To quote somebody on this forum: "That'll buff right out!"

That's what I was going guess - nice little step stool for the delivery guy....or it flew. Those airline guys make the old Samsonite commercial gorillas look careful.