1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bass arrived broken.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mattbass6945, Oct 10, 2018 at 10:16 PM.

1. That's messed up right there...

As a proud Allen Woody player, I died a little inside when I saw that break. :(

EatS1stBassist and mattbass6945 like this.
  2. onamission

onamission Supporting Member

If you don't hear from the seller in a timely manner let Reverb know, They'll contact the seller and make things happen.

EatS1stBassist likes this.
  3. BobKos

BobKos

Apr 13, 2007
    You've received good advice worth following.

I would only add the rationale for why this happens. Proper shipping is expensive. Way more than the markup received for the instrument itself in many cases. So retailers curtail shipping costs two ways.

1) Self insure. Meaning if the instrument is damaged in transit they simply eat it. This banks on the premise that XX% of packages make it through undamaged and that the cost of fighting the carrier for the remaining XX% is more than the return. The money saved outweighs the cost of damaged merchandise.

2) Packaging costs are high. Boxes, bubble wrap, tape, and manpower to put it all together is expensive. OEMs have packaging experts that can ship a set of glass light bulbs through hell in a carefully designed paper bag and they'll survive. Resellers try to emulate this minimalist approach and avoid the additional packaging expenses. Probably 99% of the time it is a good move. The other 1% it is a disaster.

I have found it to be a great bargain having FedEx / Kinkos package and ship instruments for me. It is $25 on top of the shipping cost and well worth it to me as an individual seller. A business could not operate that way though.

4. Ah damn! Feel for ya, dude.

5. The seller is communicating so far. It was bought from someone who sells b stock items. I've wanted a Rumblekat forever, so this is heartbreaking. I do find the packaging odd though. Christmas wrapping paper in lieu of bubble wrap or something like that?

EatS1stBassist and ProfFrink like this.
  6. CatchaCuda

CatchaCuda

Feb 3, 2018
    Transfer, PA
    This is your first ever online bass purchase? What a terrible start to your first experience, I'm sorry you have to deal with this. If the seller doesn't, Reverb will certainly take care of you.

7. I've ordered a bass from Guitar Center online that didn't come as expected either, but had it delivered to the store so I could inspect it before I got it home. I've ordered tons of pedals, strings, etc.....but I'm 0 for 2 on basses ordered via the internet. Making me question my luck.

lfmn16 and EatS1stBassist like this.
  8. gt96g

gt96g Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Philly Area
    I actually bought an epiphone bass recently and the first on I got did not have a broken headstock but it did appear to have cracks running along each side of the neck near the nut where it met the headstock. Needless to say I exchanged it.

9. CharlieMac

CharlieMac Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2017
    This is why we loosen the strings ALOT before shipping. and pad the head stock. And why we use Paypal. They can claw the money back from the seller if there is trouble.
    Expect this to take a month

10. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Columbia, Md
    You see this same breakage pattern over and over. United Breaks Guitars!!! (Or fill in whatever carrier you want.) But people keep shipping and transporting their tilt back, glued headstock instrument in hard cases. Most hard cases have zero padding. It’s just a little bit of shag fur on particle board. So, the box or the case is stood upright, it falls over and all of that downward momentum is transferred to the free floating headstock and “snap”. There goes the headstock.

You can’t do much about how it’s shipped from the retailer, but if you travel with and instrument with one of these headstock, invest in a Reunion Blues Continental gig bag. It’s like putting your instrument in between two thick memory foam mattresses.

11. creaturegods

creaturegods

Sep 23, 2017
    That's a bummer! Try not to let that discourage you from buying instruments online altogether. Plenty of sellers actually know how to pack items so they won't break during shipping. This is not "the norm."

That being said, beyond requesting a refund from the seller (Actually get on Reverb and hit the "Request a refund" button, in addition to sending a message to the seller), I would recommend sending a message directly to Reverb, just to make sure they are looped in and aware of what's going on.
    As far as online marketplaces go, Reverb is great. They take care of sellers and buyers very well and will help you resolve this quickly.

And if you end up getting to keep the instrument, at least it looks like a clean break! Any luthier would be able to fix that and make it better than new.

12. Doctor Intrepid

Doctor Intrepid

Dec 27, 2017
    I've got all of my basses via shipping with no issues. I have to because of where I live. Anyway, sad to see this happen to you. All of the excitement of a new bass immediately replaced with stress and anxiety. Bummer.

EatS1stBassist and ProfFrink like this.
  13. Rojd

Rojd Supporting Member

May 29, 2018
    Rocky Mountains
    Hey, what could possibly go wrong?

perch and EatS1stBassist like this.
  14. I had the same problem with an Epi Embassy pro, ordered online to a well known British Company. I Called their Customer service. They asked me for some pictures and almost immediately sent me a shipping label. I had a replacement bass within one week or so (in red instead of white). The broken bass was in its original cardboard box, with original protection and labels. Box was in perfect repair. I don't know whether the bass has been broken during shipping from Korea to UK or from UK to my home in France, or, who knows, in the storage premises of the seller. I think its the desease of Gibson/Epiphone mahogany necks (wouldn't have happened to a maple neck)

15. I wonder what goes through the minds of airline baggage and freight handlers.

I was going to get a Hiscox case for my daughter's acoustic guitar for her 18th. Asked around friends who tour internationally regularly and one of them who would have sworn that Hiscox was the go had her guitar smashed the other week in Europe. She said they'd have had to drive over it to do the damage that was done.

Another friend who tours even more extensively uses a thick Mono semi-soft case. She's only had one issue in over 10 years and over a hundred flights. She believes they actually are more careful of instruments that aren't in hard cases and flight cases. Most non-musicians appear to think that a hard case will withstand anything but will put a softer case on top.

mattbass6945 and EatS1stBassist like this.
  16. mrcbass

mrcbass

Jan 14, 2016
    Sacramento, CA
    Why is this so funny? :roflmao:

17. B-Mac

B-Mac Sorting Things Out Supporting Member

I had a brand new Dillion arrive with two tuners bent and when I grabbed one it broke off. The box didn't have a scratch on it and it was in a gig bag in a box with bubble wrap all around the gig bag and a smaller size bubble wrap all around the headstock and neck inside the gig bag.

I bought it on Regurge from an actual brick and mortar store that was a Dillion Dealer. Notified him and he notified John 'Dillion' Vinci and two days later via UPS I got two replacement tuners and a note from John 'Dillion' Vinci. Sometimes it happens and I thought it was going to be a real hassle but everything worked out fine.

18. EatS1stBassist

EatS1stBassist

Apr 15, 2016
    So cal
    Someone took it out of the box :cool: and after it “got itself broken” someone put it back. Forensics.

19. gumtown

gumtown

May 7, 2007
    New Zealand

here is your guitar

20. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    I had a Roland JD-XA delivered today. I have two dogs that go nuts when someone knocks or the doorbell rings. I was in my office working and never heard a peep out of either of them. When I went down to let the dogs out I saw the Roland on my porch. Apparently I signed for it too. :D Maybe it was one of the dogs???

21. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I convert 4 string Rickenbackers to 5 string basses.
    Ya I figured it had to ups

mattbass6945 likes this.