Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass cabs

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by The Stingray, Feb 20, 2014.

1. The Stingray

The Stingray

Jan 17, 2011
    Hi there, hope you guys are well. I just wanted to ask the pro's & con's of having 4ohm as opposed to 8ohm cabs ? Cheers

2. sinbad7

sinbad7

Dec 17, 2010
    I run a 4 ohm cab and love it, but I have an 8x10, so odds are, I won't be adding a second cab. The downside to having a 4 ohm is that if you add a second 4 ohm, you are now running at 2 ohm and a lot of amps won't handle that. With and 8 ohm, if you add a second 8 ohm, then you are at a wonderful 4 ohms. If you ever want to add a second cab, I would just go with an 8 ohm cab. If you are looking at going big right away or don't plan on getting another cab, go with the 4 ohm

3. nashman

nashman

Feb 11, 2011
    I chose 2 x 4 ohm cabs - only because my amp is 2 ohm stable. If your amp can only handle a max 4 ohm load, go with 8 ohm cabs. The volume difference with one cab 8 ohm vs 4 ohm will be negligible - with the benefit of future expansion capability.

4. I have 2x10 i use vertically for most small gigs... I liked it at 350 watt@ 4ohm but could not use it with any other cab like outside or big venues since all my heads are 4ohm minimum. ....so i got some celestions and made it into an 8ohm 400watt cab.. so I can add it on top of my 15....maybe its the new speakers but the2x 10 alone is hitting like a beast now and feels like I can push it more if i want. I love breaking in speakers!