1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass combo with built-in FX?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Warpeg, Dec 28, 2016.

1. Warpeg

Warpeg Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    So, I'm in the market for a low-priced combo that has built-in FX. It would nice to have a fun, little amp to mess around with in my office without having to break out the pedal board and eat up all my floor space. There have been very few that I can find. Really, the Ampeg BA-210SP, Line 6 Lowdown stuff, and Peavey Vypyr (multi-instrument amp) are the only ones I can find. What other ones are out there?

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Not many, because most bass players decided that having a cheap combo amp full of weak digital effects isn't as good as it sounds on paper.

3. Dan Robbins

Dan Robbins Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2006
    Central CA
    Roland bass cube 120 XL has a looper, reverb, chorus, delay, distortion, compressor... very nice sounding little amp.

PeterH, Spidey2112 and Dragonback13 like this.
  4. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    Don't know anything about the 120XL, but I own this, and I love it. It's my most used piece of gear... and it runs on batteries.

Roland Bass Microcube:

micro_cube_bass_rx_top_gal.

PeterH, Helix, BurnOut and 2 others like this.
  5. iagtrplyr

iagtrplyr Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2013
    Clinton, IA
    The Roland is nice, but more for private playing. If you want to jam with buds or play in a coffee shop then might I suggest the Fender Bronco 40?

While I agree with Jimmy that the effects are not top-notch, the amp stil sounds pretty good with some tweaking, plus you'll have some volume too. $249 before discount.

Spidey2112 likes this.
  6. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    nixdad, EdO. and Wfrance3 like this.
  7. Wfrance3

Wfrance3 Supporting Member

May 29, 2014
    Tulsa, OK
    +1 on the TC. The one that has 2 8" speakers will take an extension cab, so you could get, like a 15" or something like that yo go with it later if you want.
    Also- if I followed the YouTube I just watched correctly, you can have the last 2 tone prints you used on a foot switch if you opt to get that. Double check me in that...

EdO., Jamvan and osv like this.
  8. Dan Robbins

Dan Robbins Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2006
    Central CA
    I have the Roland Micro Cube XL bass as well...LOVE that amp for a tiny battery powered amp! Sounds great as an iPhone speaker in a pinch too. The auto wah setting is fun as are the cheesy drum beats for practice.

9. Check out the Fender Bronco.

10. rockscott

rockscott

Aug 28, 2010
    massachusetts
    I use a fender bronco for practice, its a fun little amp to just jam away and explore strange new worlds, to boadly go where no man has gone before!

laughing house, Linnin and Spidey2112 like this.
  11. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    Fender Bronco
    Roland
    Line 6
    TC Electronics

12. Jamvan

Jamvan The Bassist Formerly Known As Meh Gold Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2014
    Minnesota
    +1

TC BG250-208 is the BH250 head mated with a 2x8" enclosure. As such, the TC Switch-3 works with it, giving you access to two TonePrint (effects) slots (even though there's only 1 knob on the head) and a mute button. It's the only TC combo that has an external Neutrik cab connection. Good for pairing up with a larger cab if you need a little more volume for gigs. It's tiny as well for easy office use where it won't take up much floor space (not much larger than a piece of paper - see below).

Here's mine in use for a small acoustic gig:

IMG_4800.JPG

And here it is paired up with a TC BC212:

FullSizeRender 7.

Helix likes this.
  13. edencab

edencab

Aug 14, 2013
    Toronto, On
    +1 to the Fender Bronco recommendations above......great little Swiss Army knife of an amp....perfect for office practice.....gets plenty loud if you want, lots of effects, amp models, tuner , DI out, Aux In to jam to your fave tunes, Headphone jack, USB for computer recording with included software....and as mentioned, pretty loud for small coffee house, acoustic jams

Linnin and Spidey2112 like this.
  14. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    i recently sold my fender bronco, but i think it's very versatile with a good variety of effects, amp (SWR, ampeg, GK and several fender amps) and cab modeling and if you're motivated, you can edit everything quite deeply via your computer. it sounds richer with more bass than other small amps. very nice. if you only want to play quietly, the roland bass micro cube is super, with lots to play with plus it's tiny and light.

Spidey2112 likes this.
  15. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    I have both the Bronco 40 and a Roland 20 (for guitar)... love'em both!

16. Roland or TC.

Had a Line6 LD175... Sold it, just to not have to burn it :-D

Ever considered buying a more decent combo and a multi fx pedal like a Zoom Multi Stomp 60 or a B-3?

Last edited: Dec 29, 2016
  17. Doner Designs

Doner Designs Steve Doner Gold Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2012
    Metro Chicago Area
    Doner Designs is an alias for Steve Doner
    Blasphemy!

staurosjohn likes this.
  18. BurnOut

BurnOut It's The Billy Baloney Show Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2015
    The Natti
    What's the fx for?

19. EdonBass

EdonBass

Dec 29, 2016
    Dorado, PR
    The TC112 combo would be worth the money even if it did not have the built-in effects (which it does...). Hands down a great combo that can hold its own in small to medium gigs. The DI out works well too, if needed. This combo is not a toy and I find myself taking it to most situations even with the choice of an Ampeg Portaflex 2-10 with a PF500 and a Markbass Little tube 500 with a TC RS212. At 35 pounds, to me it's a no contest. Just my $.02.

nixdad likes this.
  20. Warpeg

Warpeg Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    I did, briefly. Really, I just want a tiny "jack of all trades, master of none" type of combo amp that will take up very little floor space in my office and can be used for quiet-ish acoustic gigs. So far, the Roland Cube RX and Fender Bronco 40 are looking pretty good, although I was hoping to find something under $200 (if possible).