1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass Deal Dilemma

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Hansel, Mar 14, 2008.

1. Hansel

Hansel

Jan 20, 2008
    Kitchener, Ontario
    Okay, well this may be lengthy so thanks for reading in advance.

Background

I'm a amateur bassist who has been playing for 2 and a half years. I'm in a band. I currently have a Modded Squier P and a Samick 5 String that is out of commission. I have about 500 in the bank as of today.

Problem
    I often browse craigs and kijiji for random gear. I found a really nice Jazz bass, which I think is a great deal (I dont know, im hoping you all would) considering condition and extras.
    -4 string Fretless MIM Jazz bass in Midnight Wine.
    -Custom Black PG. Custom Pickup covers (both fender genuine)
    -Perfect condition.
    -Only studio use.
    Pic:
    1550761915_167105ca97.

Craigs Post

Also, I planned on getting this Amp, because I'm in need of one.
    "Ashdown MAG C210-T, 307 watt 2x10 combo"
    [​IMG]
    MusiciansFriend Listing
    -2x10, 300 watts, good for small gigs and its about 600/700 here.

I want to get both, lol, but here are the

Contributing Factors to Ashdown
    • I'm in a band and I need the amp to practice with, because I cant use my friends fathers for much longer.
    • It can be bought within one more paycheck (two weeks)
    • It's a healthy Deal for a Sweet amp
    • I really need an Amp..

and the Contributing Factors to Jazzz
    • My Guitarist is Failing science, and we cant practice till he gets another test and passes it well, so I have time before getting the amp.
    • The bass is only available for a limited time, because anyone can buy it, where as I can just order an ashdown. If I get the amp It might be gone.
    • Its a good deal?
    • Its amazing looking
    • its fretless, something I haven't got into yet
    • I can buy it tomorrow if I wanted
    • I will have a balance of 150, with some cash equaling to 200 ish, and the amp is 700 ish.

I'm goin crazy peeps.

Thanks for getting through all that, and If you have any questions, lol, please do ask. I need alot of opinion on this!

P.S. sorry this is a bit late, I know.

EDIT:

In response to those saying to shop used, I've looked up some used bass amps/pre's/cabs that I can get locally. Please take a look if you have a second.
    Yorkville (Traynor) 400 watt 2x10
    Peavey pro PreAmp
    Fender MB1200 PowerAmp
    Yorkville 400xs head and 4x10 CAB for 800
    Same Yorkville setup, 750.
    GK RB800 Head
    Hartke 700 watt head
    Peavey 700 watt Firebass Amp, 500
    Ashdown Mag300 4x10, $490 lol

AND!
    The 115 Extension That would complement that ashdown 210 Combo for 175 bucks..

2. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Banned

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    Assuming that bass is actually a MIM and not a lesser bass masquerading as one, that's a nice deal. In fact, if you hold onto it, in thirty or forty years you could make quite the killing. :p

But you should only upgrade your bass if you're unhappy with it, if you like your basses, I'd suggest going with an amp (and you might want to consider going used, you'll save a lot of money)

3. Hansel

Hansel

Jan 20, 2008
    Kitchener, Ontario
    Well It's not that Im unhappy with my current bass, It's that I dont have a fretless yet, and as for getting into it I think this is a sweat deal, rather than spending big bucks later on you know what I mean?

4. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Banned

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    I know that feeling, I know it well, but you said it yourself "I really need an amp."

On the other hand, that is a purty bass, and fretless really is a lot of fun...

But it seems like the bass is more of a "want" versus the amp being more of a "need."

EDIT: and you could get a lot more amp than that for 700-ish, especially if you look used.

I checked MF for combos ranging from 500-700, and I came up with a couple of other contenders
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ashdown-MAG-C410T300-Combo-Bass-Amp?sku=485034
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Nemesis-RS410-Bass-Combo-Amp?sku=488216V

And then I checked the Talkbass Classifieds:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=415134
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=414688
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=411702

5. Hansel

Hansel

Jan 20, 2008
    Kitchener, Ontario
    Yeah, Lol, your right. But then there's that "Can" factor where I feel that I can get away with it because of the timing, lol

6. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Banned

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    Oh, true enough. And that bass is definitely good looking enough to cause some G.A.S.

Well, it's your money, so it's your call.

7. Hansel

Hansel

Jan 20, 2008
    Kitchener, Ontario
    Oh, man. That deal on the 410 + 115 is KILLER but he lives in kentucky :(

8. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Banned

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    Yeah, but if you say you'll pay for ground shipping he might be willing to do it.

shipping is going to be a serious expense, though.

9. Hawaii Islander

Hawaii Islander Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2007
    Rio Rico, AZ
    You can get the Ashdown Mag 4x10 combo at Music123.com for $100.00 less than Musiciansfriend because of the Instant Rebate Offer that Music123 has going right now. Check out their website.

Fender products and some other brands are not eligible.

10. IME there's no point in having 3 great, even awesome, guitars but a ****** amp.

11. From what i read on this board there seems to be few players who use fretlesses regularly for there gigs, and those that are have alot of experience.

As much as a fretless would be nice will it be practical?

And buy an amp used- and consider seperating the head and the cab.

12. Jobiebass

Jobiebass

Feb 25, 2008
    That bass is sweet, does MIM stand for Mexican? or am I just going crazy??? im not down with the street lingo :D

Ive got one myself, but doesnt look half as nice as that does, personally id go for the bass, although I cant stand to play with the ashtrays screwed on. they annoy the hell out of me.

13. Jobiebass

Jobiebass

Feb 25, 2008
    Made In Mexico.
    God im such a noob. :confused:

14. Jobiebass

Jobiebass

Feb 25, 2008
    man this thread has really annoyed me. ive got the Ashdown EB 15-180 Combo, and now I want THAT amp. Booooooooo

15. $600-$700 can get you a bunch of amp (used). Not the worlds best, but certainly something you can gig with for multiple years to come. Then gig and save for some fretless. At $600-$700 I would sriousely suggest not getting a combo. On the other hand a relatively solid combo can be had for under 3, (provided you look hard)
    You almost could pull of a pre for like 200ish or less, a power amp for $250ish and a cab for 200ish. All used of course.
    Not trying to beat you up man, but your prifile is a little thin. Please consider a bit more detail and most folks on this board will provide a bit more focused advice.

16. Marcury

Marcury High and Low

Aug 19, 2007
    Mid Hudson Valley, NY
    You need an amp. You may be able to do better than that Ashdown if you look around used, but in your own words you need an amp. i say spend the money on an amp that will serve you now and down the road.

The Jazz is a nice axe (my favorite color they offer), and it's good to have a fretless at hand (personally it's all I play), but you will find the one you want or need when you have the cash and don't need an amp.

17. Kennethfaria

Kennethfaria Banned

Mar 12, 2008
    take the amp and dont buy online. This is coming from a guy in mississauga.
    Shipping will be a huge amount.
    Customs will add another 60 bucks PLUS. I got some speakers from the US, and i had to pay 40 bucks after receiving it.

The only place thats worth buying online is Axemusic.com
    THey are located in edmonton, shipping is free over $199 and you wont need to pay customs.
    But for the amp buying used gets you ALOT more thant you would new. Just keeping checking craigslist and kijiji.
    And if you want to find that bass faster, check toronto's CL and kjiji. Guaranteed youll find something good. And its not to far from Kitchener.
    OH also check
    519board.com
    and google 905 ezboard. I forgot the link but thats a forum with a lot of KW people.
    They both have FS boards on there so check them out.

18. Best precision I ever played was a Mexican Midnight Wine one. Ok, I modded it with a QP, but it was a great bass before that. Fantastic neck, smooth and dark, a really comfortable bass to play indeed. No reason why the Jazz in your pick shouldn't be just as nice.

19. Denison329

Denison329

Jan 28, 2008
    I was just in a similar situation. Had some money to spend - asked if I should upgrade my amp (had a Fender Bassman 60) or get a 5 string. Pretty much everyone here said get the amp. Soooooo, of course I HAD to at least LOOK at the basses. Ended up buying a 4 string Geddy Lee. Unfortunately, as beautiful as it is, when I plugged it into my Bassman, it just didn't do it. Wasn't really any better than my Ibanez - or at least not a lot better. So I did the only thing reasonable - I spent MORE money and bought an Ashdown 300 Mag 115 Combo. Now EVERYTHING sounds incredible, including my old bass. And the Geddy is amazing.

Moral of the story - Listen to people here. I had the ability to put the extra money together - but if I hadn't, the amp was without a doubt the way to go. By the way, my Ashdown 300 115 combo was about $400US here. I love it. Just my $.02US.

20. jakeox

jakeox

Feb 15, 2007
    Chicago
    To echo everyone else saying get a better deal on the amp:

I paid $500 total for a GK1001RB ($300 shipped, talkbass classifieds) and an Avatar 2x12 ($200, local craigslist). That's a really solid rig for not a lot of money. If you need it soon, but not immediately, you can afford to be patient and wait for a deal.

The fretless is very nice, too. I think it's a good price, but not a steal. If it's still available, see if he'll take less than 350. If you just want a fretless to bang around on, though, pick up an SX for less.