Bass Heroes of Post-Punk

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Peter McFerrin, Mar 8, 2006.

1. In honor of the publication of Rip It Up and Start Again by Simon Reynolds, which chronicles the "post-punk" era of 1978-1984, this thread pays tribute to the bassists that, in large part, were the primary drivers of these bands' sounds.

We'll start with perhaps the most famous of them all, Peter Hook of Joy Division and New Order. That's a (Shergold?) six-string bass he's playing there, not a guitar.

2. Steve Hanley, the motor behind The Fall's Hex Enduction Hour:

3. Dave Allen, with the reunited Gang of Four:

4. Barry Adamson of Magazine. Dig the Ovation!

5. The utterly ageless Simon Gallup, of the Cure:

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I saw all of these playing live in their prime - Barry Adamson was more impressive later on fretless! :)

I stood a few inches in front of "Hooky" at a secret gig in Brighton which was one of the first they played after Ian Curtis' death - incredibly instense!!

It was a small-ish basement club in Brighton which had no real stage ...

There was a local record shop which sold tickets to gigs and some friends and I were buying tickets to see Cabaret Voltaire and the shop assistant told us that it wasn't them on that date, but they couldn't say who, as they had no name - although he tipped us off it was the members of Joy Division - the band that was to become New Order!
  7. Adamson's work on Secondhand Daylight is a huge inspiration to me. So driving, menacing, yet supportive...
  8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I prefer "Correct Use of Soap" - great album and he even gets a solo spot!! ;)

Although "Permafrost" has a great bassline - I think overall the sound is too "flanged" (!) - a bit of an 80s "dated" sound cliche now!!
  9. wolfs

Jan 18, 2006
    I've always like Graham Lewis's work on the first two Wire albums... not that he's technically great, just creative.
  10. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    From the US, Joe Lally of Fugazi is an awesome player.

And, I guess the New Romantic movement grew out of post-punk, so John Taylor, Mick Karn and Nick Beggs have to get their props there.

But yup, Simon Gallup and Hooky are still on top of their game in the post-punk arena. :D
  11. scuba steve

scuba steve

Dec 28, 2005
    Hillsboro, Tx
  12. I seriously think Rourke deserves a much higher place in the bass pantheon. The great thing about his playing is the fact that he knew how to back off when necessary. Playing anything more than he did on "There Is a Light That Never Goes Out" or "I Know It's Over" could have completely ruined those songs.

I hear he fell into a decade-long heroin addiction and ended up selling off the Yamaha BB2000 he used on all the Smiths albums. Kinda sad, but it looks like he's cleaned up now: he, Hooky, and Mani from the Stone Roses are supposedly working on a project together. (Insert appropriate Spinal Tap reference here. :D )
  13. RD

Jun 17, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    I'm not exactly sure which bands are post-punk and which are new... ...whatever. But, I think the Pixies and Kim Deal fit the bill. She's definitely a heroine. But, has kicked the "H" I believe! "...on a wave of mutilation..."
  14. I'd say the Pixies are post-post-punk. :p

Kim Deal had a heroin problem? You wouldn't know it from looking at her. I know her sister Kelley did, and blew up to 300-some pounds after getting clean.

I saw the Austin City Limits with Pixies a while back. Neither (Frank)Black(Francis) nor Deal have aged especially well.
  15. new_west

Dec 28, 2005
    San Diego
    Man. I love Rourke. He's one of my favourite bassists. Guitar and Bass Magazine posted an example on his playing style in their february issue, which I was pleased about. It only got better when I stumbled onto this months bass player magazine. An interview with Rourke with more examples of his bass lines! and finally, more info on his gear! (does anyone know where I can find a yamaha bb2000 in orange county or london?) He needs to be recognized more.

Here is the interview (minus the examples)

I would love to see a similar interview for Bruce foxton..
  16. 6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    Technically, Pixies are alternative rock/pop, Kim Deal still isn't shabby player. David McClymont from Orange Juice, I think, is worth a mention.
  17. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    The period of time in which Gang of Four was up and running qualifies Sara Lee as a notable figure. I'd guess it's not part of the punk ideal to mention that I always liked her past and current work with the B-52s the most, but I'll say it anyway. :)
  18. CPL

Aug 24, 2003
    New England Area. USA
    That Ovation bass was one of the best instruments I have ever played in my life. I wish I had one. That and one of those old Guild basses with the almost pendulum shaped body. Michael Dempsey (the Cure's first bass player) had one. I loved both of those instrument. Natually, I was broke at the time when I came across them at some music stores.:(
  19. CPL

Aug 24, 2003
    New England Area. USA
    You've just about mentioned the same people that are my influences. Ha, ha.