Bass Instructional Books/Software

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Vox Populi, Jan 4, 2005.

1. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    What instructional software or books would everyone reccomend?

I planned on buying the "Bass Guitar for Dummies" book, but the price tag made me shudder (like $32 for a small paperback! This was at Barnes and Noble). Since then I haven't seen any other Bass books, just "how to play lead guitar" and stuff like that.
  2. BigJH

Jan 20, 2001
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    You can check They have a very good selection of books to choose from. I use the books by David Overthrow. They are a great help, however I am still learning myself. I enjoy using them and will soon complete the series. Just look for other places related to music and musical efforts.
  3. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    I'd get "Serious Electric Bass" (The bass player's complete guide to scales and chords)by Joel Di Bartolo. This book has absolutely no TAB, starts you off by learning all the keys in the first position before branching out and learning 2 octave scales, all the scale modes, etc.

Here's the chapter list:

1) The "Gee I Did It Myself" Guide to setting up & adjusting your bass
    2) The 1st position
    3) Major Scales & Chords in the 1st position
    4) On to some serious shifting
    5) Major scales & chords outside of the 1st position
    6) Major scale modes & chords
    7) Major scale modes & chords part 2: putting them all together
    8) 2 octave major modes & arpeggios
    9) The five position system
    10) the harmonic minor scale
    11) the melodic minor scale
    12) symmetric scales
    13) The last chapter

Each chapter is somewhere between 10 & 30 pages or so and the whole book is 271 pages long. Here's the link to the product page at : -->
  4. Check out Ed Friedland, Hal Leonard Electric Bass Complete. It is $15.61 on Amazon for the bound three volume set along with 3 CDs. You won't go wrong learning from Ed Friedland. I also like Glenn Letsch, Bass for Beginners, and David Overthrow's beginning book from Alfred.
  5. ErikP.Bass

ErikP.Bass Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2004
    I second this book. Not for a beginner but a book you could spend a lifetime in. Many interesting ideas presented. The five positon system especially....
  6. Jleonardbc

Nov 12, 2004
    The five position system is also presented in "The Improvisor's Bass Method," which is a fantastic book..I would highly recommend it to anyone interested in jazz and theory with basic bass familiarity and experience.