1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass Picks for Punk Rock music?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by LordOfBass2218, Jul 4, 2012.

1. LordOfBass2218

LordOfBass2218

Jul 2, 2011
    What picks do you recommend for Punk rock music, like Rancid, Box Car Racer, and Blink-182 music?

2. nubs

nubs

Mar 1, 2005
    Wisconsin
    red ones, yes definately red ones!

3. MRDOOM

MRDOOM

Jul 16, 2009
    Utah
    Clayton 1.5's.

4. superdick2112

superdick2112 Mile High Bassist Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2010
    The Centennial State
    Your 1st post here on TB, you have the combined experience & knowledge of thousands of seasoned players at your disposal, and you ask that?

Best picks for punk rock = nose picks.
    Best picks for country music = toothpicks.
    Best picks for lotto = quick picks.
    Best picks for metal? You don't want to open that can of worms....

Edit: When I posted, I was feeling a bit snarky from viewing too many TB troll threads.
    If this is a legit question, I prefer the Dunlop nylon 1.8mm picks, both for bass and guitar.
    And btw, welcome to the forum!

5. jordak

jordak

Apr 7, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I happen to like Dunlop nylon 1.5mm the best for just about anything, but you'll have to see what works best for you.

6. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

Nov 26, 2010
    The purple Dunlop picks (1.15 I think) work fantastically for me. I also like the blue ones (1.0).

7. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

.96 or thicker.

That is all.

8. Catbuster

Catbuster Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2010
    Louisville, KY.
    I use .73 or 1.00 Tortex picks for everything. I use 1.5 Ultex picks for heavy strings or if I'm hitting REALLY hard.

9. dcalde78

dcalde78

Apr 17, 2012
    Scotland
    I've used a range of picks as my preference has changed since I started playing, however all are Dunlop. I started out with Jazz III XLs. A good pick, but I found they wear out fast. I then moved on to 2mm and 3mm Stubby picks. Again, good, but I eventually found them too thick and they wore out just as fast, if not faster than the Jazz IIIs. Then it was Max Grip Nylon .88 mm. I couldn't get used to that ultra grippy surface since I like to adjust my grip on the fly. Then it was Hetfield Black Fangs. I never really used them much and gave them away. My choice now is either Gel Extra Heavy or Tortex .88mm. Occasionally I'll use a Gator Grip 2mm. In the end it all comes down to personal preference and trial and error.

10. Moloch666

Moloch666

Apr 22, 2012
    I've been using Dunlop Tortex .88 (Green) for everything. Thrash/black/death, punk, prog, doom, guitar.

Take to the ends with a razor blade and cross hatch them for extra grip.

11. SkaKing27

SkaKing27

Sep 1, 2002
    St.Louis MO
    I use the tortex yellow ones. Like everyone days use one that's comfortable for you.

12. shaginwagin

shaginwagin

Apr 2, 2012
    Arizona
    You'll need to figure this out for yourself with a little trial and error, but...

I find that the thicker the strings, the heavier the pick. Depending on how lively your pickups are. And how much "bing bing bing" you like. And depending on how hard you play.

I do like the Snarling Dogs 1.14, they have a gripping surface on the handle end.

All that being said, I've been using .73 dunlops on my bass that has lighter guage strings.

Go buy one of each size (thickness) and play away. You will figure it out really quick what's good for you.

13. JehuJava

JehuJava Bass Frequency Technician

Oct 15, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    Have you tried any picks yet? If so, what did you think of those you tried. If not, just go get a few and try 'em. They're like less than $1.00 each. Contrary to popular opinion, there is not punk rock pick or metal pick for that matter. No funk pick. No alternative pick. No indie pick. No country pick. No R&B pick. Well...you get the picture.

Surely the Lord of Bass would know that, though. Your highness...

14. bootsox

bootsox

Apr 28, 2012
    Biloxi, MS
    I like the .71mm Alice picks personally. They're nice and flexible, not too thin, and are easy to keep a grip on.

15. blue or purple tortex...these simply don't break!

16. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Constant state of flux
    Fender mediums, the duct tape of picks...

17. pmchenry

pmchenry

May 6, 2012
    SE PA
    Lets not jump to conclusions... he could be a professional bass fisherman. :p

I like Clayton 1.00's but really the pick is all in the comfort level for the player.

18. nubs

nubs

Mar 1, 2005
    Wisconsin
    seriously, i use dunlop nylon grips 1.0 mm

19. Phantasm

Phantasm I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For.

Sep 16, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Herco gray .75

20. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I keep a few Dunlop Tortex 1mms (the blue ones) lying around when I find I need a pick.