bass regrets

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dennis james, Jul 21, 2018.

1. dennis james

dennis james

Jun 30, 2018
    chicago area
    what bass did you once own that you now most regret getting rid of? mine's a toss up between a white P bass marked feb '65 and a blond '68 tele bass with the telephone pole neck. started playing in the early 70's and have owned and gotten rid of countless basses but those two still bring a tear to my eye when I think about them.

ThinCrappyTone likes this.
  2. soulman969

soulman969 Inactive

Oct 6, 2011
    Englewood, Colorado
    66jazz.jpg image001.jpg

Guess I might have added a bit more for clarity. The top is a '66 Jazz Bass. My very first pro bass bought new but that photo is not my actual bass.

The lower is an early '90s Modulus M92-5 "Sweetspot". It's always gonna be "the one that got away". Never sell in a weak moment what you cannot easily replace.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2018
  3. The only one I kind of wish I hadn't sold was an SX short scale jazz bass. It was a great red color with an amber finish maple neck and board. I originally bought it as a back up for my '78 Fender Musicmaster but sold it after I acquired the Squier Musicmaster. That SX was solid as a rock and quality wise it far exceeded the price. I think I paid around $150 for it off Rondo Music.

Grumry and dennis james like this.
  4. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    I don't regret selling any bass. They were all sold so I could buy a better bass.

I do regret only buying 1 brand new Fender in 1969. If I'd only bought 2 then I'd have an original 60's Fender to sell now. Same when I had both my Wal basses. I bought and sold the first one for about 20% of the price it would fetch these days! If only I'd kept it a little longer!!

I only buy what I want to play at the time. So no regrets. . . well, only a little bit!

MonetBass and Pbassmanca like this.
  5. I don't buy to sell, so I don't have any seller's remorse. I did go through an unfortunate parts bass phase though, which wasted more money than I care to think about. Learned a lot in the process though I guess.

miles'tone and 2cooltoolz like this.
  6. biguglyman

biguglyman

Jul 27, 2017
    Rochester, NY
    Early 80's G&L L2000E. Switched to a five string and needed the $$$...:crying:

exidor and Alex Bass like this.
  7. bobba66

bobba66

May 18, 2006
    Arlington, Texas
    Lost my '76 Precision in a pawn shop many years ago. Drugs are bad.:(

8. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    I have been trying to think of something, and I can't. There are a Couple that I would enjoy seeing and playing again, but then after that, I'm good with not having them permanently. I don't permanently bond with a whole lot of Stuff in my life. I enjoy it, and I usually then sell it and find some new fun.

My only regret sells are in the guitar and drums categories. In drums, I sold a cymbal set that was a giant mistake. I essentially gave them away to a young drummer, which was good, but, I never recovered from that. Those cymbals were better than anything I play today. In guitar, I had a Kramer Ferrington that I really loved, and that I did special stuff with. [church] I wish I didn't sell that guitar, and they don't make them anymore.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  9. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Although there are several basses and a few amps I wish I still had (‘65 CAR Jazz, '63 Shoreline Gold Jazz, mint ‘65 Ampeg B15,etc.,) my biggest regret is what I DIDN'T buy when I had the chance - a Rickenbacker 4005.

I was in music retail starting in 1980, and had the ability to buy whatever I wanted at cost +10%. Ric was still making 4005's at the time, but I never pulled the trigger. It hurt even more a few years later when I found out they had NOS models from the 60's that I could have purchased. :banghead::banghead::banghead::(

Last edited: Jul 22, 2018
    B-Mac, Pbassmanca, bobyoung53 and 2 others like this.
  10. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    New England
    Original 60's Hofner Beatle bass.
    1973 Rick 4003.
    Like others here, I sold them to upgrade.

bobyoung53 and nixdad like this.
  11. yodedude2

yodedude2 Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2005
    san antonio, texas
    bass regrets, i've had a few, but then again, too few to mention.

12. GSNOLA

GSNOLA Opinionated but approachable 4-string Scotsman. Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2010
    New Orleans
    God, that's easy. I once owned a beautiful Shedua faced Wal Mk 1 in Scotland. Most amazing bass. And I got ripped off by a vaguely famous bass player (if I knew then...) who convinced me to trade it for a Sadowsky fretless, made of solid zebra wood. Except a) it wasn't a Sadowsky, b) it was a piece of s**t, and c) if you kept in a hard case for more than 10 minutes, it smelled like the end of the world. I have NEVER forgiven myself. And I STILL haven't replaced it.

exidor and nixdad like this.
  13. chuck1073

chuck1073

Oct 3, 2003
    Preston, CT
    Early 80's Steinberger L2 (#958) Toured with that bass for a long time. Sold it to a student.

InnerBass, EmuBass and nixdad like this.
  14. As I got older, they were tools, well-enjoyed and well cared for, but still tools, so I lost most emotional attachments to them. I enjoyed them in their time, and when the time was up, off they went for whatever was next or #1 on the 'Gotta Get Me One of Them!' list.

I will admit, however, I do have a soft spot and miss probably the lowliest of all that came thru my hands. I had a BB400 Yamaha, an idiot simple single P bass in a sort of peanut-brittle natural finish with a rosewood board. Absolutely nothing exceptional build or feature-wise, but I've always missed it ever since. And I can't really give you a good reason why. Oh well . . . . .

nixdad likes this.
  15. DDXdesign

DDXdesign formerly 'jammadave' Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 15, 2003
    Vegas
    '77 ibanez black eagle, '04 modulus Q6, maybe one or two of my Warwicks (buzzard, dolphin...). Although the modulus and warwicks are probably too heavy for me these days.

nixdad likes this.
  16. EdwardofHuncote

EdwardofHuncote I Still Dream of Jeannie Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Southwest Virginia
    KalamazooKB1.jpeg

My first bass guitar... not a deep regret, but still wish I had kept her. It ended up on Reverb later... should've bought it back then.

rllefebv and nixdad like this.
  17. Sam Dingle

Sam Dingle Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2011
    Tallahassee
    There was a black 97(?) P bass that was super nice that I sold for a fretless bass that I never use. That p bass had some mojo that I really liked. I don't regret it per say but thats the only bass I think about and go "I wish I had that back".

Pbassmanca and nixdad like this.
  18. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

i can't say i have regrets...but i have fond memories of a few.*

* basses

19. My white Ricky stereo, bought back in the early '80's. Sold it the mid '90's cuz I really needed cash at the time. I still cuss about it :/

Mamband Mark, bobyoung53 and nixdad like this.
  20. PWRL

PWRL

Sep 15, 2006
    Mostly my 77 4001. I had a nice MIA Jazz that I was probably a dum-dum to get rid of, too, but I like my present Jazz so much that I don't really miss the MIA that much.

bobyoung53 and nixdad like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 29, 2021