Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass Speaker Suggestions With WW Head

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by JYD, May 10, 2004.

1. JYD

JYD Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2001
    USA
    Ok I finally took the plunge.
    I bought a Walter Woods Head.

Now I need suggestions on a good cabinet to produce sound.

I play mostly Jazz but I do perform some gospel and occasional rock or R/B gig.

My current setup is a 3/4 Carved Mathias Thoma Double Bass,
    Walter Woods Head Hi power (mono), Fishman BP- 100 pickup. Fender 4 string percision.

What will work well as a cabinet?

I want to be able to double with an electric bass.

Most of my gigs are medium size clubs but I do play the out door concerts during the summer and will soon be performing regularly in a large indoor 50,000 square foot room.

There are so many cabinets, all are supposed to have their strengths. I need something that is geared towards producing a quality sound with the Double Bass but won't dissappoint with the electric bass.

All suggestions are appreciated.

2. I've had a lot of success with my combination of an Euphonic Audio CXL 112 and a Bergantino HTT112. The EA tends to get most of the work due to its flexibility: it can really move some air when needed but also isn't too big for smaller rooms. I've used the Berg mostly for the quietest gigs or in combination with the EA for the loudest shows, but I need to give it more of a solo chance for bigger rooms, too, as I think it may surprise me.

Overall, if I were to completely start over on my speaker lineup I would probably go with another EA CXL 112 and combine that with the EA 10" - there would seem to be less capability overlap and a better tonal match between the two cabs.

One really nice thing about those EA's is that even though they're a bit on the heavy side, they seem damn near bulletproof.

Cab matching for a new WW - a problem I would love to have! :)

3. Ditto. I used my Hi Power with 1 or 2 CLX 112s. One is more than enough, 2 are a wall of sound, incredible :D

4. larry

larry Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2004
    Florida
    I would recommend Bergantino for sure. I just sold all my SWR speakers (including the respected origial Baby Blue cabinet) for an EX112 and HT210. I use the EX112 for small gigs, the HT210 for medium gigs and both for large gigs. Tightest low end I have ever heard. I tried EA gear, and it is great, I just liked Bergantino better with my gear (I have a 60's E.H. Roth (carved top) bass and use an SWR SM900 or Baby Blue head. I use a blend of a Fishman Full Circle p/u with a small condenser mic).

I have had some other players tell me I have the best sounding bass in town. If you are going to use any electric bass, get the HT112 (with the tweeter). Bergantino is expensive, but worth every penny and then some.

Good Luck.

5. abaguer

abaguer

Nov 27, 2001
    Milford, NJ
    I say EA. I've got both the Cxl112s and an old VL208 which I think is just great for upright. Hard to find these days, but they're out there.

6. larry

larry Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2004
    Florida
    I almost bought a VL208. I really dug it. I don't think you can go wrong with EA or Bergantino. Probably depends on the amp, sound of the bass, etc. from there.

7. Mel Monihan

Mel Monihan

Mar 30, 2004
    It sounds like you've gone the all the way on your bass and rig, so don't skimp on the last link, your speakers.Alot of companies are using the new NEO speakers(and my spelling is atrocious, so I won't try to finnind the term).These speakers are very light weight and very efficient with extended frequency ranges.Almost everyone is making them.I saw some on the Carvin site recently, and my friend Marc Serio at DR.BASS CABS makes them.They are more money, but you have certainly spent a good deal of money on your rig so far, don't skimp now.There are alot of very knowledgeably (and funny)people on this forum who can stear you to the absolute best, but sometimes you can do just as well for less money if you shop around. Tony

8. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I'd get two VL-208's, if I were you. Or a VL-208 and a VL-110. Of course, anything by EA or Accugroove is probably going to serve you well. I haven't heard a ton of Bergantino cabs, but I do think that an HT112/EX112 combo would sound great (though is slightly more colored than EA or Accugroove).

9. larry

larry Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2004
    Florida
    I have not tried the VL110. I'm sure the tone is awesome, but can it get loud without breaking up? Maybe I'll kick myelf for buying the Bergantino 2-10's. It's not fun to lug to gigs, but I got tired of wasting money on small cabs thinking they would sound bigger. You can't fight physics: bass needs space. The Berg EX112 is decent, but man, the sound difference between it and the HT210 is huge (not to mention the extra 45 pounds or so). My back may hurt, but I can still be heard when next to the loudest of drummers.

10. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    The VL-110 gets very loud for its size. However, I wouldn't use just one if you play 5-string. Two VL-110's, or the VL-110/VL-208 stack is much better. It's a funky ohm rating (2.67 ohm), but I really love the sound of three VL-208's. The low end is dramatically better than with two VL-208's (which rather surprised me). Probably the lightest package packing the biggest punch that I have heard is the EA Wizzy extension cab. Unbelievable for its size and weight (though no tweeter, for those who love 'em).

I do like the Bergie cabs, too. I heard an HT112/EX112 driven by a WT-550, and it was very impressive.

11. JYD

JYD Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2001
    USA
    I use to hear a lot about Bag End Cabinets.
    I see a couple 1X12 for sale in my area.

Anyone have experience with Bag End?

Are they suitable for a Walter Woods Head and acoustic bass.

I'm guessing most of the higher end (name brand) speakers will sound good with electric bass. Or I can tie in enough effects to get a good sound.

I'm really more concerned with achieving a a quality sound with my acoustic. I can always mess with the electric sound and color it any way I want.
    I want a stong clean production of sound with the acoustic with out having a ton of add ons.

I fought going to rig with the separate amp head for years just so I wouldn't have to worry about a complicated setup.

12. The first thing I would do is replace the BP-100, unless you happen to be the one person out of every 1000 who actually gets a usable sound from it. I think the difference in sound from one pickup (or mic, or both) to the next is substantial. You could have the best cabinet for your applications and never know it if what you're sending to it is garbage. What kind of sound do you like? Which players have the kind of sound that you would like to have?

When I use my WW, I have to roll the treble all the way down. That's with an Underwood/Trinity combination. I am still looking for a darker sound so I may eventually get a Realist or Dyn-B.

13. McBass

McBass

Mar 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    I used to use a bag end 1x12. It sounds pretty mid-rangey to me and it was heavy. If you check out its specs at their site, I think its only rated down to 50 hz. You need it to go down to 40 just to reproduce an e string, let alone a low b.
    Get a full range speaker to have the cleanest sound. something with a low woofer in a cab that can support low hz's that also has a tweeter or high range driver. That way you've got your full frequency spectrum going through your cabinet.

14. Nuno A.

Nuno A. Velvet Strings Customer Service

Jul 9, 2001
    SWITZERLAND
    I have a EA Wizzy and i really like it, its amazing the sound which comes from this little and light(only 28 pounds) cab.
    By the way, im using an iamp 500 to power it.
    You should give it a try.

NUNO

15. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    Another vote for the EA CXL112. I have two. One for all upright gigs and small/medium electric gigs and add the second for bigger electric rooms. I drive them with an iamp800. It is, to me, the best all around rig for the URB/electric doubler...period.

16. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    I have a Bag End S15 XD that works very well. A little too heavy for NYC carting about without a car, but very nice. Sound much more acoustic out front than it does up close. I also have a new Ampeg PB 112. Very good sounding for both electric and bass.

17. lermgalieu

lermgalieu Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I've got a wizzy 12 and a ampeg portabass 10. I bring both for rawk gigs, but could bring either one solo for a quieter affair. I like it.

18. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    There are only 2 cabs I would consider, the EA CXL112 and the Berg HT112. The Wizzy is a nice sounding cab but won't cut the size gigs you're talking about. The EA CXL112 is a little better sounding than the Berg IMO, but if you when you add up tone, volume, and portability, I'd suggest the Berg. Although not real heavy, the EA does not have a top handle and requires you pick it up with 2 hands. I found the Berg to the best "portable" cab just because of the amount of volume and tone it puts out and can be picked up with one hand for easier trips. If you own a WW isn't portability what it's all about?

19. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    I forgot that the WW is only stable to 4 ohm. While impressive for a 1x12, one Wizzy (4 ohm only) may not be enough for some of your gigs, and with the WW, you can't power two Wizzy's or a Wizzy plus another cab. In addition to the CxL-112 and HT112 (both being great cabs) and the other suggestions above, an EA NL-210, or an NL-210/CxL-112 modular approach, would be killer. As would an Accugroove Tri-210L. All of these cabs are very light for their size, and would move a good amount of air for the lug factor. The Accugroove can even be equipped with the Accuswitch, so you can set it to 4 ohm when you only bring one cab, but want full power, or set to 8 ohm when you want to use it with another cab. I have a neo-equipped Whappo, Jr., which I also think is an outstanding cab. It may be a bit larger than you would prefer, but with the neo drivers, it's quite manageable (about 73 lbs), and sounds fantastic.

20. Fred W

Fred W

Feb 21, 2002
    Bronx, NY
    I am using a FliteSound cab with 12'' and 4'' drivers with a WW ultra (800w @ 8 ohms). It weighs 22 lbs and handles 500 watts. I like it alot. From uprite Jazz gigs to rock-blues-club date on Fender, it delivers, and is gentle on my 50 year old back.