1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

bass stands

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by skipper, Mar 12, 2009.

1. skipper

skipper

Jun 9, 2006
    I will be attending a music camp this summer with my upright bass and want to ensure, as much as possible, that my instrument doesn't get damaged. To this end, I am considering the purchase of a stand to leave it on when I'm not playing. Is this a good idea or is the floor the safest place when it's not in the bag? If I do get a stand, is there a particularly stable one that I should get? I was thinking about the bass caddy that is on the Bass Church site because it looks like a well built one. http://www.basschurch.com/ under "accessories/stands"

Advice appreciated.

2. I believe the floor is safer than any stand, or even a nice corner. Maybe add some bumpers if you don't have some already.

3. I learned the hard way that the floor is the best place to get your bass kicked, tripped over, and generally knocked around. :(

4. Ryk

Ryk

Sep 8, 2008
    I own and really appreciate the Ingles and like the way it folds up for travel.

On a stand in a corner is the ONLY way i would leave my bass out at the "camp" setting i travel to every year. I'm working out a way to easily enlarge the lower limbs of the Ingles to accomodate my bass in its Mooradian.

Ryk

5. John Sprague

John Sprague Sam Shen's US Distributor

Mar 10, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Sales Manager, CSC Products Inc.
    I have been using the Ingles stand for years, in our showroom and at numerous trade shows, which can get a little bit rough. They've held up well, and nothing has fallen over yet (knock on wood, solid or laminate acceptable). My only dislike is that the cushion on the center of the back can mark up a new varnish. I adjust the neck grabber rod thingy so that most of our basses don't make contact with the pad at all.

6. Jazzcat

Jazzcat

Jan 20, 2009
    Titusville, FL
    I got the Ingles not too long ago after a few close calls w/out a bass stand. I especially like the overall stability of the Ingles, and the neck rest clamps completely around the neck to keep the bass from being bumped forward off the stand as well. I added foam pipe insulation to the bottom stand supports as recommended in a recent thread, and the cushy foam improves the “set” of the bass into the stand.

7. Brandon Tuomiko

Brandon Tuomiko Banned

Oct 28, 2008
    Omaha Nebraska
    I have one of the wooden ones. The ones that sit on the floor, and the bass lower bouts sit in it. The one I have was very expensive, because it has velvet plush interior, and a carved oak.

But I find them quite sturdy. I hate the metal stands. And my teacher had bad experiences. They had one and it was on stage, with a nice carved bass on it. It tipped over, and the bass was smashed into unreparable condition.

8. Brandon Tuomiko

Brandon Tuomiko Banned

Oct 28, 2008
    Omaha Nebraska
  9. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    I never had any problem with this metal stand. It's lasted for years, is sturdy, and folds easily.

10. Brandon Tuomiko

Brandon Tuomiko Banned

Oct 28, 2008
    Omaha Nebraska
    I think the one my school had was a really cheap one. But after the incident, I can not afford to have it happen, so I liked the wood case very much, and its kind of hard to push a bass over in one.

Just my $0.02

11. drurb

Apr 17, 2004
    Gee, I can't afford to have it happen either. The wood stand is nice but very pricey and not as portable. A sturdy metal stand (not a cheap one) works just fine. Of course, nothing is idiot-proof. You gotta watch over the instrument.

12. Brandon Tuomiko

Brandon Tuomiko Banned

Oct 28, 2008
    Omaha Nebraska
    Yes totally true. I would just say. Spend the time to make sure the bass is sturdy. Put it in the stand, and wobble it a little to make sure it wont slip or tip.

the stand I got was a little pricey. I got a discount. But i guess for display, its great.

13. drurb

Apr 17, 2004
    Most of us who've been doing this for many years and I dare say anyone with common sense would do that. Look, you posted about your preference and I posted about mine. Not everything has to be a conversation with multiple posts.

14. Brandon Tuomiko

Brandon Tuomiko Banned

Oct 28, 2008
    Omaha Nebraska
    Yea so- Metal stand is good for short periods of time. but if its over days or so, I think the wood box is the best.

Again, you can find the wood boxes under $100, the one I have was a special hand carved one, that is why it was so expensive!

When I got my kay, I had it sitting in the corner of my room, standing because there was no room for it to sit The scroll was resting on the wall, and one day, my little brother was messing around, and knocked it over. No damage was done, but after that, I never left it out of the box!

15. drurb

Apr 17, 2004
    You just can't help yourself, can you? Gee, my bass sits in a metal stand all day. Just knock it off, would you? Ok, we get it, you like your wood stand. You posted that. I and others have had success with metal stands. It's not a contest.

16. kurtsnyder

kurtsnyder

Oct 31, 2006
    Nashville
    I've been using the Ingles stand for right at 2 years now and have had no complaints at all with it. It's a great and sturdy stand for the money.

17. Brandon Tuomiko

Brandon Tuomiko Banned

Oct 28, 2008
    Omaha Nebraska
  18. drurb

Apr 17, 2004
    By your own admission, it was a cheap stand. It's silly to decide, based on the poor performance of that stand, that all metal stands cannot be trusted.

19. Brandon Tuomiko

Brandon Tuomiko Banned

Oct 28, 2008
    Omaha Nebraska
    I am just scared. I am sure that there are very, very good and sturdy stands out there. And the Local Luthier holds his prime top bass on one. But he said that I, as a student and in a house with little kids, should use the box for good stable support.

It is just that I saw the whole incident.

Have you ever seen a bass fall on its bridge, and suddenly--- crack, snapple, pop.
    The neck snaps off. The bridge folds in. The pressure causes a great crack and the bass does a big implosion. and is ruined forever.

I actually have the neck hanging on my wall in my room as a "novelty"!

Thats why stands and the whole idea of a bass standing by itself, and not a person, really scares me!

But what ever you find that is sturdy, you should go with it. Just avoid the cheap on something that could cost you big $$$$ to fix if it goes wrong!