Basses for Heavy Metal??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by metal_head46, Aug 17, 2005.

1. Hello fellow bassists

Just a quick question about what some people out there would consider to be a good bass for heavy metal. I want something affordable, but not cheap quality. If anyone could give me some ideas I would REALLY appreciate it because I am planning on buying a second bass at the end of this month. I have been looking at BC Rich, ESP, Ibanez and Aria but the thing is, Im not quite sure which brand to go with. Any suggesstions would be great! Thanks
  2. Well, I play an Ibanez gsr205 5 string for the metal band that I jam with from time to time. I am purchasing a SX jazz to hot-rod for that roll though. Really it depends on the sound that you are looking for and what feels best in your hand. So my suggestion is to play as many as you can get your hands on. Play them through an amp that is like the one that you already have so you know how they really sound outside the store and have fun doing it.
  3. I have a esp f-205 its a bolt on 5 string.. it's a nice bass for th money. it's has a kind of mid scoped sound. witch can make it hard to cut through when standing next to two maxed out half-stacks. BTW i play death/thrash metal, it's been working fine for me but i am looking to buy a new one because it's not really all that. If i were you i would check out the Warwick corvette-std, i know you heard this before but go out to play as many basses as you can, in the end its up to you to decide what basses you like.
  4. Id go with the Ibanez SR's, And SRX's. Id Also go with Epiphone Thunderbird or Les Paul bass. They both are really growly basses and should cut through the mix. And if you like Bc Rich, Go with the Mockingbird or Warlock(ick :scowl: ) And switch the pups for some EMG's or Seymour Duncan's. I havent spent much time with the ESP's but I played a B204 and a used F204 and new F255 recently and I liked them both. But its all about what feels good to you and whats your price range. Really, You can get any bass to be a "metal" bass(except those danelectro dooflickys, maybe :D ) hope this helps.
  5. Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    What's your budget, man? Are you averse to buying used? Are you looking for a 4-string? 5-string? Beyond? Is the amp you're using big/loud enough for what you're doing? If not, I'd recommend upgrading that first.

Because depending on your budget, a used higher-end bass will be a much better value than a new one. For example, I think new Warwicks are quite expensive (and you can often get a better/custom bass for the price of many new 'wicks) but on the used market, they're phenominal values since they don't hold their resale value super well.

Still, it's hard to say what basses are best for metal since many metal players use all kinds/brands, from budget to boutique.
  6. CaM90

Dec 14, 2004
    You could use any bass for metal. I would though reccomend either Warwick, Ibanez, or Spector.
  7. mofomage

Jun 18, 2005
    Fender P-bass, gotta have that THUMP!!! Unless you use fingers, then I don't know.
  8. NOLA Bass

NOLA Bass Mr. Worst Case Scenario Man Gold Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2005
    New Orleans LA
    I've never owned a bass that performed in metal so well as my Spectors.
  9. darkside 88

darkside 88

Feb 23, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    Schecter. The Elite series. Or those new fangled CV-4s.
  10. I play my SX Jazz basses in my metal band.
  11. well considering that we're now naming what we play for metal...warwick corvette that bass for any genre

i like the weight also.... :bag:
  12. punkmetal

punkmetal Guest

Jul 19, 2005
    WI (milwaukee area)
    He did say affordable :bag:

I played in one of my bands that was a metal/hardcore mix on a fender P bass I'd only recommend it if you put thicker gauge strings (assuming you play in a dropped tuning)
    just before I quit that band I bought a Rockbass by Warwick Corvette classic 5 string. I was one a budget because I spent money on a ibanez srx 505 :scowl: (don't conceder it) had to stay under 800 bucks because I had lost money in the ibanez when the eq craped out (choose your music store carefully) I must say the Rockbass came through, I now use it as my main bass. Rockbass also has a streamer model just like the Warwick
    you can find it for well under $500 in 4 or 5 string
    I almost bought one but I liked the corvette body better (although I really want an Corvette FNA jazzman)
    If you want to look heavy metal try a
    don't know to much but looks cool

Look for humbuckers or jazz pups mostly and remember that any bass will work as long as its the one you want and you use your amp right
  13. primus_55

Dec 28, 2004

They have the sickest growl, that is perfect for metal.

Ryknow for example
  14. Force

Aug 18, 2005
    Canberra, Australia
    Hey guys, sorry to thread jack, but I'm planning on getting a new bass good for metal also, I mainly play Metallica songs. I've been looking at these two, the Ibanez Iceman Iceman

and the Aria IGB50, the brand Cliff Burton used.Aria

Are those two good for playing metal and Metallica and stuff?
    Which one would be better to buy? or are there any better bass's for metal?
  15. Im gonna have to agree with the warwick idea, great growl.

Force, I would choose the Aria. I've played Aria's myself and they're a fantastic bass, if it didnt get sold in a day I would have bought it.

Iceman's are a good bass as well, no problems there, Of course, in the end its up to you, play em both and pick the one you want. Happy hunting.
  16. Force

Aug 18, 2005
    Canberra, Australia
    Awesome, thanks a bunch for the help f'nar. So do they both have good growling sounds for metal?
  17. Hrothgar

Hrothgar Guest

Sep 22, 2003
    I know several guys who get killer sound out of their Ibanez SR basses. One being the bassist from Hypocrisy.

18. Indeed!

Recommendation - Check out a Spector REX 2000/4 or 2000/5 depending on whether you want a 4 or 5 stringer! Neck thru, all maple construvtion with Rosewood fingerboard and EMG pickups and electronics!

I'm happy with my 5 stringer! :bassist:
  19. cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    Check out the Spector range of basses. There's one for every budget but I'd particularly recommend a Euro or Euro LX if you can afford one.
    The Spector Rex2000 is also great...

Punch, growl, definition and plenty of low end... :bassist:
  20. Techmonkey

Sep 4, 2004
    Wales, UK
    I'm building a 5er mainly for metal (Although I'll end up using it for everything really) with a wenge/wenge neck, claro walnut body, 2 Kent Armstrong soapbars (I'll be wiring them Parallel/Single/Series) but I'm not sure if I should go active or passive.
    Anyone have any views on active vs. passive? The closest thing to what we play is like a Megadeth kind of metal. I use both a pick and my fingers, with a bit of slap here and there.