1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bassists who enjoy playing LOUD!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by FunkyLemz, Oct 5, 2008.

1. smeet

smeet Gold Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Yeah, that's what I use, they work great. It takes some getting used to, especially if you sing. The high end is still attenuated (the ping of the cymbals etc.), but overall you can hear everything and get a real feeling of power and the guitarist can crank it, with no ringing afterwards.

2. Gearhead43

Gearhead43

Nov 25, 2007
    NorCal
    Playing stupid loud onstage is on of the best ways to sound like a giant pile of muddled crap.

I used to go to alot of Hardcore/Punk shows and the bands often have such loud stage volumes that the vocals end up inaudible or just plain crappy sounding. After a song or two most people in the croud have their hearing blown out, so the band just sounds like HISSSSSSSCHRrrrrrrrrcHHHHHhhhpsssss! from that point onward.

The best sounding bands I have seen take the time to get the levels loud enough for the venue, but not so stupid loud. With decent PA support, there's really no good reason to have mega-loud stage volume, unless you just don't care that you sound like ass. :rollno:

3. I read this and decided to give loud a try tonight. I wear musicians earplugs, so it was like listening to the stereo at home:).

I had my shuttle 6 at almost 1/2 volume with my Carvin 4X10. All I could really hear was myself, the drumer, and just a little lead guitar. Tightest practice we have had in a LONG time! The drummer was very happy! I have yet to come down off of my musical high!:hyper:

Woh, I could really FEEL the bass. I sat on a stool right in front of my rig. I could feel my guts shaking!

4. This could no be more true. I would never do anything too loud live. I play in a Catholic church every sunday, so I know what a volume knob is.

Regular band practice.....heheheh

5. FunkyLemz

FunkyLemz

Oct 17, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Just got my 2nd mesa 2x15 tonight!!! 4x15 for the dub

6. Bass has to be felt. If you can't feel it, then you might as well be a gui****.

Having said that, regardless of live or in rehearsal we always set our amps to a level that is comfortable to all and will have us sitting in a nice mix so that we are just resting nicley with the drummers attack.

Also I always wear earplugs. When I was younger, I didn't and I guess I was not as well informed about the dangers of not wearing them. They live in my gig bag and come out before I play a note these days. I probably have a slight bit of dammage from my younger days, but I'll be damned if I'm going to make it worse.
    I keep telling my gui**** and singer in one of my bands they need to start wearing them, but both are being a bit silly about it and haven't brought any yet. I might even do them a favour and buy some for them, because I know if I don't do it, they won't bother.

7. markkoelsch

markkoelsch

Sep 6, 2008
    For anybody that is interested I found a chart of various sounds, including various musical instruments. Please take a look, and be amazed.

Mark

8. Guys,

My Drummer uses double bass drums, both guitarist in the band use FOUR Marshall Cabs and two heads EACH. Yeah, we play loud 80s metal. I'm using 500 Watts to a 4-10 cab, another 500 watts to a 2nd 4-10 and 500 watts to a 1-15 cab. I will most like be adding a 2nd 1-15 cab just to keep up. And our vocalist can sing over that AND sound great doing it. Playing rock at low volumes sucks.

:hyper:

9. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 God of Thunder and Rock and Roll Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    My volume has to be loud enough for my bass to feed back. Yeah I'm loud.

10. P-BASSLOVER

P-BASSLOVER

Oct 10, 2008
    USA
    I like loud for various reasons,
    1. Headroom
    2. Sound
    3. Bottom
    4. Percussion
    5. Easier to play

11. fireincairo

fireincairo

Jul 8, 2008
    There's a lot to be said for playing quietly, and I think more bands should try it. That being said, it is kinda fun to rock the rooftop. :hyper:

12. fireincairo

fireincairo

Jul 8, 2008
    Awesome! thanks for the link.

13. markkoelsch

markkoelsch

Sep 6, 2008
    You are welcome.

14. markkoelsch

markkoelsch

Sep 6, 2008
    WOW! I have been in situations like that, and I do not miss it. I am glad you enjoy it, but I cannot fathom why everyone needs to be so loud. Do you think it is an image thing...perhaps an ego thing? After a point, it just becomes noise. Being that close to that much guitar power would worry me a bit...please look up guitarist Paul Gilbert, and his hearing loss.

Good luck to your hearing,

Mark

15. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Ehhhhhh? Could you repeat that? What?

16. godspeed68

godspeed68 i'm here for the sound Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next door neighbors.:eek::spit::bassist:

On a lighter note, we were tracking in the studios at McNally Smith the other day and our drummer said he could clearly hear my bass in the library.:smug:

tom

17. I like loud....it kind of pushes you out of normalcy into the moment of the music.....feeling the stage buckle under you and a warm breeze across your forearms.

Always wear plugs though......but then one tends to turn up which does get a bit silly.

Also, I've noticed that I crank the low end/volume wanting to really feel it....but due to the room (standing waves) right in front of the cab is relatively light on low....one time at one rehersal room I sat on the drummers stool in the corner while someone played by rig and holy cow...those 2 18's were really pummeling. In front of them though, can't feel much.

Massive low end is part of the key to feeling of hugeness...but does depend on where you stand. .
    .loud mids are easy to get and the lower ones chew everything up. Its possible my band will be working with a singer live and I really get concerned for balance and sound issues with that - thats something we will have to work hard at.

Heavy overdriven bass just sounds silly quiet - but it can stomp over everything.

With my current drummer he'll often say I'm a bit loud on soundcheck, so I drop back.....then once we are in full flow he's beating the sh*t out of the skins I can't hear myself so well.

Getting the mids right up behind your head helps (again, always wear plugs).

One show I fired up the carvin B1500 and the sound guy quite nicely said "err...the PA can't keep up with that!" :D --- 'but its only on 3?!' (owners of that amp who use the drive control will know what I mean!)

A couple of 10/8/6s can provide
    plenty of mids providing they are crossed over... its the low end takes the surface area and power.

For sound check, what I do with the drummer is he pedals his
    hi-hat while I play...if we can't hear that I'm too loud. Seems to work ok.

We are not playing shows where its all FOH and we have a sensitive sound guy.

18. mrokern

mrokern TB's resident Rush freak

Jul 20, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    I call bull. Rock music isn't approaching 150dB, I don't give a rip what band you are.

Most of the rest I'll go along with, but that stat is so far off as to be laughable. I've been on-stage in monitor world for some of the loudest acts out there, and I worked the club scene for a lot of years with seriously loud metal bands. Yes, I wore / wear plugs, I like my hearing...but I've never seen an on-stage measurement above mid 120s. And yes, I agree that is STUPID loud.

As for me, I had the realization that I like my bass seriously loud behind me on-stage (venue allowing). I do have the courtesy to listen to the sound man (I'd be a serious hypocrite if I didn't), but I'll push it as far as they'll let me go. It helps to play venues that are of a little larger capacity.

Lately I've been trying out IEMs, and I think that may be a nice way to go for smaller clubs where I can't push it without overpowering everything. On larger stages, I'll let my pants flap.

-Mark

19. joegeezer

joegeezer

Mar 9, 2005
    Northern Wisconsin
    Avatar Club#12 Eden Club Lucky# 13--USA Peavey Club#37 Carvin Club#5
    Give Erik a nice Valium.

20. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    DFW, Texas
    Three fifty-something rockers were walking on a city sidewalk.
    The first one said to the second one, "It's windy today isn't it?".
    The second one said, "No, it's Thursday."
    The third one said, "I'm thirsty too; let's find something to drink."