1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bassists who enjoy playing LOUD!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by FunkyLemz, Oct 5, 2008.

1. FunkyLemz

FunkyLemz

Oct 17, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Love it buying another today - selling the eden now. Gets much lower and has great highs too.

2. FunkyLemz

FunkyLemz

Oct 17, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    I have totally empathy for singers. My other band has 2 guitarist and I never need more than my ea 2x10. I could actually use my epifani 1x12 alone. These cats are twice my age and very professional. The aggressive funk band is mostly instrumental or the occasional rapper/lyricist - No permanent vocalist at the moment.

I keep my singer happy and she gets us gigs :D

3. FunkyLemz

FunkyLemz

Oct 17, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    AMEN

4. Willy2911

Willy2911

Sep 11, 2008
    OC California
    I like loud, but my landlord doesn't, so I asked him if I could sound proof my room and We now get along great!

5. ryco

ryco

Apr 24, 2005
    It's fun to just plain rock out and play loud. :bassist: It is a rush and it sounds way cool.
    That's why I keep my Sunns around! :smug:

But it is dangerous. I've been lucky. In my *cough40+cough* years of playing I've been in some very loud situations and never worn earplugs. So far my hearing is fine (I think - unless my girl is talking, it seems :meh:). Some of my friends, mostly guitarists, have done serious ear damage to their ears. Then I also wonder about ppl playing their car stereos at mach 100 where I can hear 'em coming a block away. :eek:

I think it's weird to choose to play loud and then use earplugs. What's the point? It's like flooring a Porsche up on blocks, or using a Mac with dial-up. You play loud 'cause you like the sound and then you dampen it? :atoz:

Now I'm old and play in a jazz trio and dynamics are crucial. There's also a big rush in playing softer and doing well at playing with subtlety and using nuance. :cool:

SIDETRACK: Has anyone noticed that when you turn around and ask the drummer to play faster, he just plays louder? Or is it just me? :D

6. beta_442

beta_442

Apr 7, 2008
    Hillsboro, OR
    +1

7. Sparkdog

Sparkdog Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2006
    Burbank, CA
    I like playing loud enough to feel it and really get under the groove, but no louder. Then the overall sound of the band becomes a mess.

Unfortunately, many of the clubs we play will bitch LONG before we get to the volume we would like to be at. Definitely takes some of the fun out of it for me, but it's their business and let's face it, selling alcohol is far more important to them than the music, so you have to work with it.

I'm still waiting for the opportunity to run my full stack and see what it can really do. Probably can't do it anywhere except a large outdoor venue...it's a Carvin B1500 running into a 2x10 and 4x10 neo cabs. That's 1900 watts through 6 tens...YEAH BABY!

8. FunkyLemz

FunkyLemz

Oct 17, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    You should come jam at my lockout. You down with da funk?

9. FunkyLemz

FunkyLemz

Oct 17, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    I think it's weird to choose to play loud and then use earplugs. What's the point? It's like flooring a Porsche up on blocks, or using a Mac with dial-up. You play loud 'cause you like the sound and then you dampen it? :atoz:

It's about feeling my bass and I wear good earplugs.

SIDETRACK: Has anyone noticed that when you turn around and ask the drummer to play faster, he just plays louder? Or is it just me? :D[/QUOTE]

Some drummers can't help there dynamics when playing too fast - same with bassists.

10. When you reach my age and only have about 1/2 of your hearing left. Take the time to look back on these posts so you can say how dumb I was back in those days.

11. Sparkdog

Sparkdog Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2006
    Burbank, CA
    Oh, I'm down with da funk! But based on your handle I'm not sure I'm in your league as far as slapping.

Don't do much of it, being in a blues band. I can sing the hell out of it though!

:hyper:

12. JimB52

JimB52 User Supporting Member

May 24, 2007
    East Coast
    I like loud, but practice/rehearsals at lower volume helps reveal problems with songs.
    Ahh, eff it. TURN it UP.

13. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    DFW, Texas
    I like to be able to feel the bass waves coming off my cabinet, but my band's stage volume about 50% of the time is too low to really get that loud.
    Even when we do get that loud, it's not ear-splitting volume by any means.

I tend to set my EA CX-310 on a milk crate and stand pretty close to it.
    As long as I can hear myself clearly that's my main concern, but I do like a good thumping volume -- seems like it helps to get the groove on.

14. markkoelsch

markkoelsch

Sep 6, 2008
    I have to say that loud is fun, but loud is also stupid. If you have these symptoms you have already damaged your hearing. I recommend earplugs, and turning down. It is my feeling that the test of a good drummer is if they can do just about everything relatively quiet, and let's face it- the main culprits in most band volume situations are drumer and guitarists. The rest of the band just goes along...usually.

I still think the best solution is in ear monitors, and just run a direct from your preamp to the PA. It cuts down on things you need to take to a gig, and allows for better monitor mixes at moderate volumes.

Mark

15. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    Loud is good.

Earplugs are for Wusses!:p:D:bassist:

16. markkoelsch

markkoelsch

Sep 6, 2008
    Enjoy your impending deafness.

Seriously, do a little reading about SPL and hearing damage. After doing a little reading about it find someone has an SPL meter (known correctly as a dosimeter), or buy an SPL meter. Take said meter to practice, and measure the volume. After you do this I think you will be surprised and shocked. Then, I recommend either the in ear monitors, seriously turning down, or ear plugs.

These work well, and are cheap:
    http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er20.aspx

I wnt to try these...a friend is in a metal band and swears by them. He was referred by an audiologist who tested his hearing ...the 15db types are good for most things, and the 25 db for seriously loud situations.

http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/erme.aspx

Mark- not a wuss, I just like to hear, and want all of you too be able to as well.

17. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    Been Playing Loud for 35 years.

Wusses. :p:D

18. LowBSix

LowBSix Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 25, 2008
    818 ~ 805 ~ L.A.
    Endorsing Artist: GHS Strings
    LOVE playing loud
    LOVE my HEARING MORE!!!
    600 watts per side at 8 ohms is a love thing!

19. xk49w

xk49w

Apr 13, 2008
    I agree! Boy am I glad I could read that because if you had spoken it to me your words would have been obliterated by the chorus of circular saws that I hear constantly.

20. What is loud? Give me a db level, then I'll tell you if I like being loud or not.:bag: