1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bassists who enjoy playing LOUD!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by FunkyLemz, Oct 5, 2008.

1. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Make that thirty-something and I'll buy it ; }

2. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    DFW, Texas
    I didn't want to appear to be prejudiced against an age group outside of my own.

;)

[Heck, I know some teenagers who are going to blow their eardrums out with iPods before they make it to 20.]

3. godspeed68

godspeed68 i'm here for the sound Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    I wonder where LOUD bands like Bongzilla, Weedeater, High on Fire etc end up in db.

4. DeepBass9

DeepBass9

Mar 3, 2007
    Philly, PA
    All I can say, is there's no way I was taking my plugs out when I saw High on Fire.

In my late 30's now...when I hit my 20's and was drumming (at the time) regularly, I spent the $80 or whatever it was back then, on custom fitted musician earplugs. Best money I ever spent on a piece of music equipment.

Don't want to wear 'em...don't.. I don't care about your hearing (and obviously you don't either). Say something derogatory about those who do wear them....well, you're just showing a side of yourself...more specifically, the rear side of yourself.:rolleyes:

Go shout something at Pete Townsend & the boys....maybe he'll be able to read your lips...

Ah, the wind wafting through your pant legs is something special indeed. Turning up for the venue size, to get girth or push, or just for the hell of it's fine, as long as you understand the ramifications. After I started getting dizzy and getting headaches from my SVT-410-HLF with earplugs in I kinda realized the power I was playing with...

5. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    I could understand using some sort of protection playing at gigs with 100,000 people. Those kind of volumes would be insane. As far as a couple of SVT 8X10's cranked dont see any use in it. Been doing it for 35 years with no problems.

Though maybe some of us have a higher tolerance than others. Maybe that would explain the wide difference of opinions on this. I have my hearing tested once a year for my DOT Card and I do not have any loss. So go figure. :bassist:

6. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    OlyWA...
    Hi
    [​IMG]

7. Wicked_Bassist7

Wicked_Bassist7

Oct 31, 2008
    yeah. i love that feeling when you have got your house to yourself, you turn it up loud and lay down a fat slap line

8. markkoelsch

markkoelsch

Sep 6, 2008
    That is really amazing...most folks would have significant loss.

9. rbonner

rbonner

Sep 25, 2008
    My Dad made me take some earplugs to a gig back in 1970. I put them in and couldn't hear anything except a muffled drummer, pulled them out. Haven't since.

Use rubber ones for motorsports, and especially when riding my motorcycles, going to INDY, Drag Races etc.

I will probably go to those ear monitors eventually where I can control it all with a knob and still get full range.

Hearing loss? After 32 years with the same woman, I can no longer hear her at all. I have to be within about 18" of her or forget it. The question is, is this selective hearing loss or a physical ailment? BOB

10. rbonner

rbonner

Sep 25, 2008
    OK I just had the second most bizarre thing happen to me tonight. I brought the 4th power amplifier online last night but I still dont have the 250V 30 amp circuit hooked into the amp yet, so I run the things off 15 amp circuits. SO I was gingerly playing last night, not very loud, just having a little fun. Tonight I cranked it up and played for a while until all the breakers popped and lights went out etc.

Well, here's the wierd thing and a question to all you loud guys. Have you ever had your vision blur from the bass vibrations? Well tonight was the first time ever. I think its time to get a larger space for the amp. Its too small a space. I mean the whole house is buzzing like crazy but I finally reached the threshold of bodily functions starting to be effected.

Any Opthamologists on the board? BOB

11. Willy2911

Willy2911

Sep 11, 2008
    OC California
    I love to Play Loud, Gotta have the Bass pounding in my chest and pushing enough air to part my hair.

12. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    What?

13. Craig_S

Craig_S Banned

Oct 15, 2008
    Metro Detroit
    I have tinnitus. There is a constant ringing in my ears. It has been there for so long, I usually don't notice it. If I'm in a public place with a lot of background noise, I have trouble hearing someone talking to me.

I never thought I was playing very loud. As a matter of fact, I always made an effort to NOT play loud. Stage noise from cymbals, snare, guitars, and keys did my hearing in. So, play LOUD all you want, but don't ever say you haven't been warned.

14. markkoelsch

markkoelsch

Sep 6, 2008
    At least you do not need a proctologist:) Brown not anyone?

15. sweet jebus, i love to play loud, i can't wait to get my new rig so i can upload some pictures. when we practice, we all use ear plugs, now when we go to shows, we bring ear plugs.

:hyper:

16. rbonner

rbonner

Sep 25, 2008
    Well I figure by the time I get it all up and running it will cause the big dump. HAHAHAHA

17. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    Played six hours last night, two 15 minute breaks, had two Marshalls Cranked plus my Bass rig pumping as much as it would give, had the Drums Kicking and the Vocals Blaring, 3400 watts on the Mains, 100 watts on the Monitors. When we got through my ears were not even ringing the least little bit.

Me thinks some of us are tougher than others.

18. Gearhead43

Gearhead43

Nov 25, 2007
    NorCal
    I have always used earplugs when playing live, since the age of 16 with my first "band" up till now at the age of 33 and I still have perfect hearing.

I am musician and I am not about to screw around with my hearing. I am still able to pick out nuances in music many other musicians I know simply can't hear. I am the one who can pick out the bass lines on very old records with poorly recorded bass, when learning a cover.

Our ears are the most important part of our bodies as musicians, not our hands.

19. godspeed68

godspeed68 i'm here for the sound Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2004
    Chicago, IL

The only time my vision has blurred is when I put my head directly next to my rig and cranked it (just once :bag:) just to experience the power of it.

Other than that, I consistently have a "body buzz" from our practices when I show up to work. Normally, we practice until about 20-30 minutes before I go in to bartend, and I can still feel the effects of the frequencies in my entire body when I get there.

'62 RI Jazz > Mesa 400 > Berg 610 > Bunch of pedals...

20. I love playing loud. :bassist: I absolutely hate the idea that a PA system should do all the work while a band is left barely able to hear them selves. On top of that I hate the idea of some dude I don't know having control over my sound. Some of the best sounding bands I've ever heard where bands that cranked everything on stage and the PA just filled in the rest. So anyways...here's my rig. :D

l_4ea3418e150849068e9e20067a7ff74f.

2x15, 4x12, 1x18, 4x10, 2 200W amps from the 70's

My band is nothing but drums and bass. We played our first show a couple weekends ago in a crowded small basement. We where just as loud, if not louder than the other bands with 2 guitars, vocals, bass and drums. I got a lot of compliments about the sound/tone, and the volume of my wall. :hyper: