Battling neck dive on an Epiphone EB-3

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by karl_em_all, Jul 2, 2016.

1. karl_em_all

karl_em_all

Jul 11, 2013
    Dimension X
    image.jpeg image.jpeg
    So this happened and it works. I think I might have a one of a kind modification here (lol).

2. RED J

RED J Lol

Jan 23, 2000
    Believe it or not, there have been a few threads in the deep dark past that dealt with creative solutions for "hornless" neck divers that were otherwise desirable axes. Some were actually pretty clever.

karl_em_all likes this.
  3. I drilled a new hole to move the peg on my '73 EB-0. It's not enough to fix the neck dive on it's own, but combined with a wide strap, it's fine. So how is the wrench anchored, epoxy?

4. mojomike001

mojomike001

Mar 28, 2013
    South Florida
    Really??? Time to get a Fender.

Seriously, how did you get that wrench in there?

AaronVonRock likes this.
  5. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music. Supporting Member

Did you really have to do that?

You should have done this.
    This works from the OTHER end.Take an old belt.(I prefer an old dress belt)Shorten it so that it can wrap around your upper thigh.Mine is about 25 inches long.(First picture) 3037812-1b772373fd174f595ec5e467bf63c483.jpg Drill some new holes so you can buckle it.
    Notice that I have relocated the end strap peg to the back of my bass.Here!All three of my basses have this done.(second picture) 3037813-ecdc69f5629f6164686506dd32251817.jpg

Now,with your bass strapped on feed the belt from the outside of the back of your upper thigh in between your legs.
    Then between your bass and the strap.Wrap the belt around your upper thigh of your right leg to complete a loop and buckle it!(third picture) 3037815-4e70c41b611772667ab7f5f27babb85c.jpg
    Tighten it so that it is snug enough.There!Your bass neck is fixed at a good playing angle.(Last picture) 3037816-da978c4e510e5bbd4285d3424f5ed8ce.jpg

Now the neck doesn't dive!You can walk around with it.Your left arm doesn't have to support the weight of the neck.And your right arm doesn't have to push down on the body's upper edge.You can fret and play your bass with less forearm muscle tension.

This works by using a lever and fulcrum basis.Your bass is a lever.The strap around your neck and shoulders together are a fulcrum.You can either decrease weight on one end of the "Lever"(the neck) to raise the neck.Or you could increase the weight or"counterbalance"and/or anchor the other end.The belt "dead ends"or anchors the shortest end of the "lever" without adding weight.Try it out!

6. mojomike001

mojomike001

Mar 28, 2013
    South Florida
    What I don't get is why anyone would want or need to mess with a bass that doesn't balance. There are so many great basses that do balance perfectly.

Stefan Verbeeck and AaronVonRock like this.
  7. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

Feb 22, 2013
    Bangkok
    Exactly. I love the look of Gibson EB basses, but the neckdive is a deal breaker.

I do enjoy photos of the creative and ridiculous DIY solutions to combat neckdive, though. Strapping a belt to your thigh is up there of one as the most ridiculous I've seen.

8. Why? Because there are also a lot of other basses out there that sound/look great that aren't shaped like and don't sound like a Fender etc. A lot of us want that different vibe, and considering there are plenty of good ways to deal with the dive, why not? @gebass6 offered one good method, here is how I deal with it. Immediately fixed the issue, simple inexpensive fix. And not nearly as fugly as the OP's method (no offense to the OP).

Attached Files:

gebass6, Aqualung60 and karl_em_all like this.
  9. karl_em_all

karl_em_all

Jul 11, 2013
    Dimension X
    I found that bass at a pawn shop for $200 and didn't want to pass it up. This model bass has severe neck dive. Brutal actually. So The guitar player in my band is a luthier and runs a custom shop. The drummer is a welder. Between them they came up with this. I was thinking of something to attach at the base of the neck and extending up to the 12th fret. There's a few examples of that kicking around on TB. Their take on it was to not bother trying to be discreet about it and to just embrace it and and go full on over the top. I think it came out great. Very rock-n-roll! And you can pick the bass up by the wrench no problem. It's wacky and ridiculous over the top looking but done right.

AaronVonRock likes this.
  10. mojomike001

mojomike001

Mar 28, 2013
    South Florida
    To each, their own. Personally, I don't like having to jury rig a device to get it feel right when there are so many attractive alternatives that feel right because they were designed to do so from the get-go.

11. I don't disagree with that. You'd think the manufacturers would want to deal with that issue up front, which would remove one negative connotation towards that particular instrument. Since they don't we're left to our own devices. To me my T-Birds are worth the (minimal) effort to fix the issue. As you said, to each their own.

karl_em_all and mojomike001 like this.
  12. karl_em_all

karl_em_all

Jul 11, 2013
    Dimension X
    To my eyes Fender is the most unattractive brand of instrument ever made. I will never own one.

There's more to that wrench than meets the eye. It definitely makes a statement though. I laughed for a solid 10 min when I picked it up but it kind of blends right in when it's in action.

SG wrench cropped.jpg SG wrench 2 cropped.jpg

13. mojomike001

mojomike001

Mar 28, 2013
    South Florida
    Like I said, to each their own.

karl_em_all likes this.
  14. karl_em_all

karl_em_all

Jul 11, 2013
    Dimension X
    The look is definitely what drew me in and the price was right $200). The fact that Epiphone sells these basses with such a vicious neckdive kind of boggles my mind really. There's no way I'd dish out the cash for a new one. But playing in a band with fellas who can pull off this kind of mod just made it a no brainer to grab it up. The tones from it are pretty sweet too.

15. hopsbb

hopsbb

Nov 8, 2014
    I don't have an Epiphone but my two Gibson SG basses balance perfectly. I use a 2 1/2 in padded strap and they don't go anywhere.
    I don't care much for Fender styles either.

gebass6 and karl_em_all like this.
  16. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

Feb 22, 2013
    Bangkok
    I must admit, it does look badass when you play it live.

karl_em_all and EdO. like this.
  17. Super cool mod, it totally works visually.

karl_em_all likes this.
  18. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    Excellent idea for a beautiful instrument.

karl_em_all likes this.
  19. JIO

JIO Connery... Sean Connery Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    The Mission SF/CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    another version that solves the same problem

IMG_8652_zpslrru3ztq.jpg

20. JIO

JIO Connery... Sean Connery Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    The Mission SF/CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    + 1 - successful design = the balance of aesthetics and function (or a fix that covers both as close as possible) ;)

mojomike001 likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 16, 2021