BC Rich Widow

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ivyman, Jul 7, 2008.

1. ivyman

ivyman

Apr 15, 2008
    Sydney Australia
    does anyone own one i love their shape but i want to hear how they play

heres a pic from the bc rich site

ps. please show pics

Attached Files:

2. nrssab

nrssab

Jun 28, 2006
    Germany
    It's quite new, I havn't seen it yet in any shop. I believe it plays like other BC Riches, but I bet somebody else can tell you more.

3. ivyman

ivyman

Apr 15, 2008
    Sydney Australia
    i havent actually played any bc rich before so can you tell me how they feel, play, sound

my friend has a bc rich bronze series but i havent played that either

4. Arachnophobia anyone? :D

5. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    Widows have been around for more than 20 years.

I've played a few of the new Mockingbirds and Warlocks and even a Beast and wasn't at all thrilled with any of them soundwise and ergonomically. As a matter of fact, the 'new' Richs aren't comparable to the vintage models in quality and sound, but that's just MO. It's better to play before you pay.

6. BC Rich is a company that makes killer guitars, but the designs don't translate well to bass. They shouldn't sound too odd as they're wood just like everything else, but most people who order them focus more on the look than the guts of the electronics.

One thing about pointy instruments is that the edges are fragile as hell and can chip if you look at them wrong.

My 2 cents....go for comfort. It's practically impossible to have proficient speed when you play with something that's loaded with neck dive.

7. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    I can't argue with anything you've said, except for the sound quality. The new Richs that are being sold at your local Sam Ash or GC are loaded with crap electronics. Having owned a couple of early 80's Richs, I can attest to the sound quality of those instruments compared to the standard Rich fare of today.

8. agreed.

I own 3 mockingbirds. Won't even look at any Richs post 85.

9. adam clinton

adam clinton Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Columbus, Ohio
    +1

Just got an early 80's Eagle and have played the newer ones...they are much different in playability and sound

10. nrssab

nrssab

Jun 28, 2006
    Germany
    Oh sorry, I really thought they where new!
    As for the poor quality I have to agree. If you want a bass with a stunning BC Rich like look and want it to sound great, you should better contact Moser.

11. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    +1 on Moser. If you want the look and the quality, go Moser.

BTW, vintage Widow body.

bcwidowmain.jpg

12. Ripper

Ripper

Aug 16, 2005
    NY/NC
    i really like the new BCR's... especially the NJ (NT) basses... they're nothing like the POS ones at GC... unless you find a mockingbird NT... then they're good.

definitely have to find one to know how they feel

13. Is it different than the new ones?

14. ivyman

ivyman

Apr 15, 2008
    Sydney Australia
    on the site they only come in five string with red around the edges

15. nrssab

nrssab

Jun 28, 2006
    Germany
    Those basses are amazing!
    Spector Ray, do you know how much a costum Moser bass like that costs?

16. peaveyuser

peaveyuser Inactive

Oct 18, 2006
    Montreal,Canada
    DD Verni from one of my favorite thrash bands Overkill uses one with J pickups, I actually like his tone, perfect for the style. Saw them live last month, great performance and a CRAZY pit. Oh I also met Verni in the crowd before Maiden :D

untitled66.jpg

17. Kennethfaria

Kennethfaria Inactive

Mar 12, 2008
    started of great...then went down from there. I'm not sure about now, but back when i was bass searching, these used nato wood. nato = cheap asian mahagony = no good.
    I think they changed the woods recently but makes sure you dont get ones from the nineties to the mid 2000's.

Though if i could get a bass from there, it would have to be Paolo's Warlock 5 string of course. That white looks stunning.

18. Ripper

Ripper

Aug 16, 2005
    NY/NC
    my beast is a 2004 and its better IMO than the MIM Jazz that i play in school... both have the same strings and were setup by the same person, and the j has a badass on it... only problem i have is that when i play my own in the schools amps i have to turn them way down because the pups are so much hotter.

but if i had the option looking back, i'd've rather gotten a mockingbird... even though i have yet to find it to be a big deal, the body is a little more accepted in different types of music, even though the tone can be matched to whatever

19. jcaffone

jcaffone

Aug 3, 2012
    That Widow pictured with the hour glass inlays I own. That was the first cut of the Widow shape referred to as the MK1 (Mark1) cut. MK1 cuts I believe were from around '88 or '89 when Blackie from WASP designed it up until '97 I believe. After that the shape got retooled and made into what is referred to as the MK2 cut. That is a slightly more elongated version where is I think the MK1 is more compact. The WMD widows I have never played. All my MK1 Widows (I own 3...not sure how many were built but I was told around 50 or so) and they are shaging killer. The MK2 I owned played awesome too. As for the one your were asking about I cannot say. I only play vintage BC Richs these days so I don't know how any of the newer ones are.

Attached Files:

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Oct 27, 2021