Be a man, dammit!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Woodchuck, Jan 25, 2005.

1. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I was in a music srore this morning, and this guy was testing a Cirrus 5. He sounded damn good too! Anyhoo, his friend, whom I surmised was a band member, maybe the guitfiddlist, said, "Damn, that bass sounds good! Too bad it's a Peavey!" The bassist played a little more and looked at me and said, "Man, I love this thing! I hate that it has Peavey on it. If I took this around the band, they'd kill me." The other guy came back with a MM5 and gave it to him. "Here's what you should get. It's more a of 'real bass' These are the basses we like.". :rolleyes:
    Then he left. The bassist then said to me, "Man, I hate these damn things! I can't get my sound out of them." So I told him, "Bro, if that bass does it for you, then get it. They ain't paying for it, and they ain't gonna be playing it. YOU have to make the final decision. Besides, the Cirrus is a very good bass." Later on, as I was leaving the store, and he and his "advisor" were talking to the salesweasel about the MM5. :rollno:
  2. cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    What a horrible story.... :rollno: :( :scowl:

Man! NOONE and I mean NOONE has or will ever tell me what to play....!!

Well, not unless they want their teeth rearranged...! ;) :D :p
  3. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    :Makes whip-cracking noise usually reserved for my hen-pecked p-whipped brother:

That sucks man. I lost out on what could have been a pretty good gig because I brought a modestly exotic-topped Roscoe 6 to the audition. The guy who beat me out wasn't necessarily better but he played a Fender. :scowl: :spit:
  4. Well if he got the MM5 it would be his loss. I can't praise the Cirrus 5 enough. It's overlooked, but if you just take time with it you'll find a gem of a bass!
  5. andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    That's my idea of something degrading! I HATE FENDERS!

6. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    I have nothing against Fenders except that their QC stinks.

I came with a six-string that sounded great. I don't slap. I don't tap. I didn't try to bedazzle them with my Wooten-esque (YEAH RIGHT!) chops. I played in the pocket. Oh well... :meh:
  7. Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    That is truely pathetic. That's even worse then the guys who have girlfriends that boss them around. At least those guys are getting something out of it :bag:
  8. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I hate stories like that! I was in a band who told me to get rid of my Modulus to buy a Fender once.

I got rid of the band before I got rid of my Modulus.;)
  9. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Just two weeks ago, I ran into some local players here who looked a Cirrus four and said "I ain't payin' $1,200 for no Peavey!" I know Peavey has made budget instruments, but anybody who knows anything about basses ought to be able to look at a Cirrus and play it and tell that it is no budget bass! As a Peavey owner, it really irks me that Peavey value is always seen as cheapness. The bass player that Woodchuck described needs to get a backbone.
  10. hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    hey man, what's up with Katoi,or Blue Cantrell. :D Yo Wood" If you were to look at the Fender body from the pickguard plate on down and then look at Katoi from the waist on down,they're similar in some ways.I'm sure though, Katoi has a little bit more going for her in the feel" aspect if you will.Btw is that you pictured in the Bass section in the 20005 Fender Brochure ?
  11. SimonMerrick

Jan 25, 2005
    Hey all, im new here!

I used to work in a music store and used to get the same thing. It's just a fact of life now that image plays a big part in music! Anyways, thought i'd introduce myself on this thread as I know Woodchuck form another forum (, good to see a familar face here man - thanks for the story ;-)
  12. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I've seen that happen a few times when I have been in GC. I am grateful to have found this forum before I went shopping for gear.

13. The Hammer

The Hammer

Jul 13, 2004
    What if someone offered to give you a watch for free and you had your choice of a $2000 rolex or a $3000 timex. Which would you choose. Let's say the Rolex was just one of their standard models and the Timex was basically identical to the Rolex except it was a Timex. I agree with you on if you like it then play it but I also have to consider resale value when I buy something.
  14. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Resales on both are about the same. Starting prices may favor the MM a little more, but not by much depending on where you get it.

Peavey used to have a negative connotation, but the Cirrus and Firebass have done wonders for them. Will they ever get the clue to offer wide spacing? Who knows.

I did not get an audition once cause my Cirrus was not 'metal' enough. But after thinking about it, the guitarist was an idiot, so I am sure working with him would not have been a joy.
  15. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Things can get ugly when a band shares a brain.
  16. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    Oh come on Brad, we all know that most bands don't have a brain between them... EDIT: ESPECIALLY if they are looking for a bass player. :cool:
  17. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I've never been crazy about Peavy either but a good bass is a good bass. If it works for you then don't let anybody tell how to spend your money. Why would even think about buying an instrument that according to your own words you "hate". Buy whatever feels and plays best for you not your guitar player.
  18. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I had a similar incident happen to me when I told one of my band mates that I bought a mesa/boogie amp head. He looked at me with a really weird look and said, "Mesa/Boogie? Ah man great, now we're going to sound just like everybody else."

Ultimately I told him that if he had a problem with my bass tone, there were much more "grown-up" ways of dealing with the problem, and if he wanted to be a child *points* there's the door.

Regarding the issue stated by Woodchuck, my personal preference would actally go to the MM5 rather than the Cirrus, but that's because its MY preference. Having someone else decide what gear you should purchase next is just ridiculous.
  19. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    These stories kill me .......

What kind of bands do you guys play with :confused: I have never had any band member ever question a bass I was playing. As long as the groove is there, no one cares about the instrument :cool:

On the other hand, this is Jersey .... we don't get all caught up in appearances .... :D
  20. Man! NOONE and I mean NOONE has or will ever tell me what to play....!! that NOONE as in Peter Noone? Cos he's not speaking to me, either.