1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

before and after mike dirnt sig pics

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by iDylan, Apr 30, 2010.

1. iDylan

iDylan

Jun 27, 2008
    dallas texas
    Endorsing Artist: Fender Basses
    recently acquired this bass for 200 bucks, dropped quarter pounders in it and switched the pickguard out. thoughts?

before
    2yyc976.

after
    5wia7b.

any other thoughts on how to improve this bass visually? i like the idea of a new neck with the standard headstock...

2. Buchada Azeda

Buchada Azeda

Mar 25, 2009
    Brazil
    Maybe a maple-boarded P neck?

And a Nordstrand Big Single on the bridge position?

:bag:

3. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    i like it as it is. I would leave it alone

4. dannster

dannster

Aug 20, 2000
    Seattle,WA
    I'll +1 that. I think it looks great!

5. lowendblues

lowendblues Supporting Member

Oct 8, 2004
    Ohio
    Looks like a hell of a player...

6. iDylan

iDylan

Jun 27, 2008
    dallas texas
    thanks for the feedback. i dunno if i'd like a maple board on it. my other bass is/was a reggie hamilton sig (recently stolen) if i never find it i might just get another one of these and go black on black!

7. Gord_oh

Gord_oh Midtown Guitars Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    $200. score.

ps- leave it be.

8. Gord_oh

Gord_oh Midtown Guitars Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    pps- i like the band myspace.

9. iDylan

iDylan

Jun 27, 2008
    dallas texas
    i think i will leave it alone now, i like it much better now that it doesn't look like a banana.

ps - thanks!

10. GrapeApe

GrapeApe Banned

Nov 9, 2009
    Richmond, Va
    Standard headstock P-Bass neck (still rosewood), I'd have kept the white pickguard and put Muddy Water-style amp knobs on it FTW

11. Jluckie3

Jluckie3

Mar 14, 2008
    endorsing artist Lakland basses
    don't those come with quarter pounders?

12. Simo98

Simo98

Jun 18, 2009
    QLD, Australia
    I had one of these. My plan was to rout out the body and laminate something on top, then cut and F hole and make it into a Tele Thinline bass :D

Unfortunatly I ran out of time.. I also sold it to buy something else :meh:

13. shaolinwhat

shaolinwhat

Jun 5, 2005
    Ohio
    looks awesome how you have it

14. ubnomnar

ubnomnar Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2009
    So Cal
    I recently picked up a black Dirnt Signature bass which I really like...great feel and sound...but it is a hefty beast @ 10 lbs. 10 ozs. According to the Fender website it is spec'd with a "Custom Vintage ‘59 Split Single-Coil Pickup."

15. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I grow organic carrots and they are not for sale
    Thumbs up on the black pickguard.

16. Yeah the pups are one of the best things on this bass. I believe it's 59 custom shop pup. The quarter pounders boom big but without the finesse of the custom shop. I would not call that an upgrade. But nice score anyway, enjoy.

17. ShirazBop

ShirazBop

Sep 29, 2006
    Greensboro, NC
    Looks good...I wonder how an ashtray would look over the pups...???

18. iDylan

iDylan

Jun 27, 2008
    dallas texas
    i didn't get the luxury of trying out the 59 custom shop pickups it comes stock with, i dunno what the guy before me did to them but they were ruined. that's why he was selling it for so cheap, perhaps he doesn't know you can replace pickups?

but i bought it to be a backup bass and planned on getting the 59 pickups to put in it, but then my main bass was stolen at a show and i had to get it working right away. i called a friend who works at GC and one of the few bass pickups they had in stock were the quarter pounders, so i went with those. if i feel like switching it out later on i might, but for now it sounds pretty great!

19. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    I was really dissapointed in the duncan quarter pounders. I like growl of a p bass and they just dont do that no matter what. Maybe throw a nordstrand np4 in it. I love the nordstrand np4 possibably the best vintage reissue p bass pickup out there

20. I Love The Dirnt.. I also Have 1/4 Pounders in mine and I love them but I play Pop-Punk so I like a very out front Tone. Here is Mine in Action..

P4030084.

here is the Sound that I get out of them Bass Mix is a Little hi but it's punk