1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

beginner basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sheep, Sep 19, 2008.

1. sheep

sheep

Sep 15, 2008
    The 865
    hello i am sheep and i just started bass 1 week ago
    i wont be able to get my bass due to money issues because my job slows down this time of year(construction for an independant contractor) and i have to use my teachers bass til then
    he has an ibanez gsr100 and just started 1 year ago and is teaching me for free he is pretty good and i like the feel of the bass but i want to know are there any other basses i should try out when i go to get one i will not be able to spend more than 200 on the bass but thats ok cause im not gigging
    thank you

2. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    New - Squier, SX
    Used (eBay, craigslist) - Lots of options

Welcome to the deep end, and welcome to Talk Bass! :)

3. EclecticElectrk

EclecticElectrk

Aug 26, 2008
    Brooklyn
    i suggest an ibanez soundgear bass probably a little more then 200, but its a very good bass for beginnners

4. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

Used is a good option. You can pick up something that's good really cheap if you know what your looking at.

I'd suggest SX. They are good beginner basses and will cost you $150 or less, depending on what model you pick.

5. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 God of Thunder and Rock and Roll Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    I think SX is a excellent choice for a first bass. I have had five or so over the past few years and every one has been excellent. Right now I have a '75 J from them and it really is a beautiful piece of work. Nice hard woods, ash body, maple neck with block inlay, beautiful fit and finish I have a lot of basses mostly vintage Gibsons, Fenders, Rics etc. Back when I was starting out for 100 bucks you got something that could pass for a bow the action was so high. These basses play and sound very good. Lots of guys grip about the pickups etc but they are just fine right out of the box. Good luck and keep us posted.

6. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

Got the same bass. And it's a beauty.

SXSJB75LTD-1.

7. StyleOverShow

StyleOverShow Still Playing After All These Years Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2008
    Hillsdale, Portland
    Welcome. You started on the path. The 865 is eastern Tennessee presumably. You might look around in the bigger cities near you (Nashville for instance) for a used bass when you get ready, and ask your teacher for help. Playing bass is a way of looking at things. Once you get the hang of it, turns out to be a lot of fun.

What's up with the user name: sheep?

8. bassfrenzie

bassfrenzie

May 26, 2008
    Can't go wrong with a Squier P, P/J or J...$350.00 ish new.

9. KOOSEE

KOOSEE

Jul 15, 2008
    southern CA
    WHAT!!!

Sorry, but you're way off standard series are 250 and down while the affinity series are 150 and down. I could find an MIM or maybe even a MIJ for that price.

10. Ibanez GSR / SR are fantastic basses for beginners or pro's. They have narrower/thinner necks, and sound great - a really good value.

11. magickbass

magickbass Guest

May 24, 2008
    As so many have already said, SX makes great beginner basses. I have a Squier Black and Chrome that I got for less than $200 used, and it is well worth the money.

Finally, welcome to the world of bass!

12. Rock-o-Rock

Rock-o-Rock

Sep 19, 2008
    If you ask me you should get the IbanezGSR200 it's $200 and it's active it produces an excellent sound. i wish i would have bought it when i first started, but im getting another member of the ibanez family. The ATK300!!!

definetly get the GSR200 though...

13. sheep

sheep

Sep 15, 2008
    The 865
    im going to knoxville to look for them
    and im having fun with bass like my brother used to before he lost his fingers
    and the name sheep was what one of my frinds just started calling me one day a few years ago

14. Grizzly700

Grizzly700

Mar 18, 2008
    Maryville, TN
    Wasup and welcome to the world of bass. :D I'm from the 865 too.:ninja: I was looking in the Knoxvillle CL and I saw an OLP for $120, thats a pretty good deal and probably a good beginner bass, it is a 5 string though.

15. bassfrenzie

bassfrenzie

May 26, 2008
    Dats about what dey cost up 'ere in da nort dare, eh?

16. REAPER52

REAPER52

Aug 17, 2008
    FL-Central
    I just started a couple weeks ago. and i got an Ibenex srx 390 . i really have not played anything else so i cant compare it to any other - but it seems like a nice bass to me. a little more then 200 but i think it was worth it.

17. ProfGumby

ProfGumby

Jan 15, 2007
    Michigan's U.P.
    Welcome to the world of Bass! Just be prepared for being the guy who holds down the low end and gets no attention or respect from self absorbed, ego - maniacal gui****ists.
    :p

And for the money SX is an awesome choice, ( www.rondomusic.com )
    as are Jay Turser and a few other basses, Galveston, Johnson and Indiana come to mind as do S 101. With entry level bases and the like a good setup goes a long way!

Used is a great option too.

However an ebay site I found is a real great option as they have a Fender qualified Tech that does a pro level setup on every bass they sell...for no extra charge!
    http://stores.ebay.com/musicians-heaven_Electric-Bass_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZ1QQfsubZ5244391QQftidZ2QQtZkm
    Sadly, right now all he has in a 4 string is a clear lucite bass, and a bubblegum pink or Taxicab yellow basses in 4 strings. He does have a Black P bass style in lefty though. However I can vouch for them and the Trans Red 5 string as this is the 5'er I have from them.

Oh, another option for a good well priced bass with any kinks worked out etc is from a fellow TB'er Lowtide -
    http://www.buzzardsbass.com/

Lot's of choices and of course there is the talk Bass classified section!

:bassist:

18. sheep

sheep

Sep 15, 2008
    The 865
    i have a question how much is shipping if i HAVE to order over internet
    i dont want to if i dont have to but how much is it usually
    and hey grizzly700 where from the 865 are you

19. derelicte

derelicte

Dec 25, 2007
    NJ/NYC
    MTDMTDMTDMTDMTD!!!

20. just look on every site.order one and go checkout. u will see , but more sites have free shipping USA. i guess i will be the one to tell you: get the best bass u can afford. better, faster u'll learn. that's only because a great sound gives u more desire to play it over and over.

i guess it will be more easy for us to give u examples if u can tell ur (more or less ) budget.

i sugest a peavey. grind or maybe cirrus BXP. they are great basses, and solid made.and Neck-through

bless u