1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Behringer BSY600 love thread

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by audiomitch, Jan 25, 2012.

1. I hate Behringer. I've owned a few of their products out of necessity, but always felt dirty afterwards. Couldn't wait to get rid of them.

But then I caved and bought a BSY600 Synth Bass pedal... and love it. It may be a rip off of the Boss unit, but it works and sounds better. It's actually useful!

I'm still learning the ins and outs of it, but the first time I ever turned it on was at a jam session, and it was useable right out of the gate. We'll see if it holds up, but this may be one of the best $50 I've spent on gear in a while.

2. I tried it out as a flyer one day, and A/B'd it against my SYB-5. I thought it tracked better, sounded better, and then I was very pleasantly surprised when I turned the decay knob all the way up, and heard the filter sweep turn off completely.

I use it in both my covers band (for poppy electronic stuff) and also in my originals band.

My favorite modes are 3 w/ exp pedal, 5 and 9

3. hell,anyone can go/do something wrong.so can behringer company,you know,they ****ed up and made something that's actually usefull.... 't happens )))
    oh,and I was pretty impressed with the 'reverb machine' (think it's r600 or similar),
    too bad it's a piece of plastic-but if rehoused....who knows...meantime,i'm putting foot down hard on boss rv5.
    haven't had the pleasure to try out the synthbass,but i trust it's good

4. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2011
    West Bend, Wisconsin
    You know, I listened to a lot of youtube demos and seriously considered buying that sucker just for kicks. It was either that, the SYB-5 or the Bass Synth Wah. I ended up getting the latter, but I still would like to give the Behringer a try.

5. I tried out the BSW, the SYB/Behringer and the Ibanez one (SB7 I think?), and ended up with the Behringer. But they each have different enough tones to them, that I could see someone choosing any of them. To me, the SYB/Behr is strictly a techno/trance-y deal, the Ibanez is more of a fuzz/filter thing for funk. The BSW is kinda a middle ground between the two.

6. scottfeldstein

Jun 20, 2011
    West Bend, Wisconsin
    Interesting observation.

Maybe I'll use it as an excuse to get one of the other ones :)

7. sillyfabe

sillyfabe keeping the low-end silly since '06 Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2009
    San Bernardino,CA
    Another BIG fan of the BSY-600, sounds FAT-ter compared to the SYB-05 and love the fact you can turn off the filter sweep. I'm currently gonna do my first real re-house of a UV-300 Ultra Vibtrao and if that goes well then this little beast is next!

I love using mode 1 with a Boss OC-2 (OCT -1 full, everything else dimmed) > Boss FZ-2 (set as a clean boost REALLY helps tracking practically flawless with proper technique).

Have tons of other settings (I have a folder for all my settings of all my pedals and this one has its own section under SYNTH along with the EHX BMS)

So....LOVE IT!

8. scottfeldstein

Jun 20, 2011
    West Bend, Wisconsin
    Heck for $50 I'm gonna have to pick me up one of these.

9. Razzmatazz

Razzmatazz

Oct 23, 2011
    I don't use it much but enjoy playing with it from time to time. Does not work so well with an expression pedal but for $50 brand new, I can deal with that.

10. Only commenting because the Entwistle profile picture.

11. arginator

arginator

Feb 28, 2009
    Upstate NY
    If you rehouse the bsy600 let us know how it goes, as I've need thinking of doing the same to mine. It has a bad switch which doesn't like to turn off, so I'll have to replace that too. I know, would be easier to just buy another one since they're cheap. But that one may break too! LOVE how this pedal sounds, and that you can turn the filter off. Just needs to be more durable.

12. scottfeldstein

Jun 20, 2011
    West Bend, Wisconsin
    Well, I've had my bass synth wah for a day and I've already used it in a recording. Not sure bout the result, but it was fun to do.

13. I just recorded with the Behringer unit. I'm not so sure about the results either, but the synth pedal sounds surprisingly good for what it is. It's been processed - compressed slightly, and I had to EQ in a little more mids.

Anyhow, this isn't the best piece I've ever done, maybe that's why I chose it as the Guinea Pig ;) The synth bass starts at about 25 seconds in, and yes the level is a little hot.

You have to wait a few seconds for the little player to pop up at the link (I know it sucks). Happy Happy song

14. At a third of the price of the boss syb-5 I was pleasently surprised last night at how well the bsy600 does its job. Now time to experiment some more.

15. sillyfabe

sillyfabe keeping the low-end silly since '06 Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2009
    San Bernardino,CA
    well I'm not gonna attempt a re-house of this as my UV-300 was a complete disaster! For some reason i cannot unsolder jacks from a PCB board. I actually yeled out when I put it down "I can put breathing tubes in 23 week babies but cant do this @#$#@!" Oh well regardless the BSY-600 is a beast and I see it as the 80-90's synth to my EHX BMS 70's funky prog synth....FUN TIMES!

Jonny_Orange likes this.
  16. yeah sillyfabe I would really like to rehouse mine because the plastic isn't the best. Good luck and if you have any tips pass, them on.

Need to compare it to the Snyth modes in my Line6 M9 as well when I get the time.

17. rnilson

rnilson

Mar 8, 2008
    Kansas City, MO
    I get behringer is cheap stuff and that is taboo on this forum, but they really they have a few pedals that sound darn good!

The UV-300 vibrato and UT-100 tremolo both sound really good. You would be hard pressed to pick them out in a blind test with the boss they are a copy of. I was going to have them rehoused, but after having them on my board a while I have no issues with the plastic/construction at the moment.

Mostly I think guys just don't want them because the name on the box...the plastic box at that.

18. I use the bass synth to provide a taurus like swell for one song. It does the job, but I still miss my EHX bass micro synth. However, for the price you can't go wrong. I also use an ultra vibrato, and I'm very impressed with it. I watched a video with Juan Alderete and he said that Behringer made a boss clone. Took his word and bought it. Great sounding pedal.

If anyone has any good settings for the BSY600, I think this would be a good thread to put them in.

19. I'm with fabe on this one. The plastic housing doesn't bother me to the point where I would attempt to transplant the guts into a new housing. Both of my Behringer pedals are on the interior of my board and I've never been one to stomp on a pedal to activate it. I'll cross the "rehousing bridge" when they break.

20. scottfeldstein

Jun 20, 2011
    West Bend, Wisconsin
    I'm probably not going to get one of these now. Not only do I have the Bass Synth Wah (which is pretty cool for under a bill), but I just ordered me a Soundblox Pro Multiwave Bass Distortion unit. I paid $220 for it, but dang. Have you heard this thing? I thought people who spent this kind of money on a distortion pedal were nuts (Darkglass, anyone?) but I was wrong. I'm in love with the MWBD and it hasn't even arrived yet.