1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Being harrased by other bands

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by riotorgun, May 16, 2011.

1. riotorgun

riotorgun

Apr 2, 2009
    my band got through the 2nd round of a local battle of the bands.it was based on the audience and bands buying a drink 1 drink=1 vote,so we had a good crowd drinking and we were drinking ourselves.1st band had no crowd,but did quite well from just regular people voting,2nd band were all young and most of their fans underage so this caused some problems.now their friends have been spamming our Fb page allday because their friends band lost.

2. BillJarrett

BillJarrett

Jul 25, 2010
    Jensen Beach, Florida
    Manager, Jam Music
    Delete their posts.

3. riotorgun

riotorgun

Apr 2, 2009
    oh we have been doing,and blocking them must be a whole school of kids tho lol

4. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    Turn it into a positive! All that traffic on your FB page is a good thing. Welcome all your new fans, and give your condolences to the band that came in 2nd place after you.... If they aren't winners 2nd place is pretty good.......

I eat this kind of crap up! Work it.

5. Venom of God

Venom of God

Oct 8, 2007
    Australia
    Who cares? At least it has people talking about you. One drink = one vote sounds pretty flawed to me anyway.

6. BananaKing

BananaKing Supporting Member

May 15, 2008
    Vancouver, B.C.
    +1.

It seems odd that that would be the voting system at an all-ages competition. Pretty unfair. And stupid.

On the plus side, moar traffik!

7. My thought also. If this competition was open to under age bands then whoever came up with this system is an idiot!

It is rather childish of those who are spamming your FB page to do so since it was not your band's fault. They really need to put their efforts in to going after who ever set up the competition and made that voting system!

8. riotorgun

riotorgun

Apr 2, 2009
    yeah i feel the voting system was stupid aswell,even tho we did win the round.the final is voted by judges so maybe if they arent as stupid as the voting system theyll be ok.we did have abit of fun with the stupid comments but having your sexuality questioned is only funny for so long,ive nothing against anyone who wants to do what they like but its a crap insult.funny thing i actually had some of their fans at my work harassing me,their lucky im a controlled person.

9. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Is your band called Riotgun? I think I remember seeing you guys before with my friend Wes.

10. Febs

Febs Supporting Member

May 7, 2007
    Philadelphia, PA
    Maybe if the purpose of the system was to actually decide which was the best band, but if the purpose of the system was to sell drinks, it's pretty ingenius.

11. riotorgun

riotorgun

Apr 2, 2009
    nope were called Osmium guillotine because we like when people go huh what?

12. JulienJeff

JulienJeff

Mar 1, 2009
    Belgium
    We had the same thing happening two months ago, also during the finale of a battle of the bands.

We were fair play and all, but the other band reacted very badly when they lost. The voting system was: each person there had one voice and people could also vote through internet during the night. We won on both sides (people attending and votes on internet). But anyway, the other band was really unhappy they lost and became mad. On the guys started a fight etc. They were quite young and they are sure they are the best band in the world :) which they are not (neither we are).
    The days after, friend of them started to post comments on our facebook page saying we were not fair play and so on. Crazy.
    We were nice with them ; we said it was just a game and we invited them to play with us on other nights... I think they are still pissed, but well, we tried to calm them down.

13. MegaSwing

MegaSwing Your Obedient Bassist® Gold Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2002
    Baltimore, MD USA
    Thank them for the traffic, if not the support. Be a very polite, sneering jerk.

No such thing as bad publicity, if you play it right.

14. riotorgun

riotorgun

Apr 2, 2009
    well lots of local promoters have been asking us about it and have said they wont be booking that band.The first band weve asked to come do a gig with us not my taste but a good band.

15. Change your bands FB status to "Second is the first loser", welcome all the new friends, and sent out multiple friend requests to their friends and friend of friends and turn that 'bad' PR into your best friend :)

16. You might discreetly get the word to the other band about what the promoters are saying. It does not look like they are the ones doing the harassment (tho' they might be directing it), from what I have read from the OP (I could be wrong). There is some other good advice about turning the negative to positive, and exploiting the traffic, but, IMHO, if the other band is serious about getting out there and doing well, they will need to not burn bridges. That includes their fan base, as well.

17. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    Just more reasons to avoid battle of the band shows. Voting methods are usually flawed and somebody who lost thinks they should have won or bands who win are not necessarily the best band.

18. brenner182

brenner182

Apr 24, 2010
    Maryland
    i second this.

19. My band played a BotB back a few years ago that was voted on by judges.... as everyone knows these things are rigged like an oil tanker... but we got to the finals... and they were doing the results... so its now down to us and the other band.... the crowd is just screaming our names and we ended up winning.... get contract at the place singer quits.... looking for new singer the sound guy from the club tries out for us... and tells us "they actually had the other band supposed to win... from the start of the BotB... but when they went to do results and they were just screaming for you we didn't want to get beat up"..... fast forward to the next year (we re-entered with our new singer seeing as we lost our contract) they put us with that same band from the previous year in the 1st round...
    The band starts their 45 minute set... bass player (who looks like Jesus or the bass player from Guitar Hero... and is smoking.... Smoking Jesus!) is playing a completely different song than "Everlong" like the rest of the band was playing and in a completely different key... OK its a warm up maybe he didn't know and it doesn't "really" count towards judging.... 2nd song HORRIBLE yet again.... and by the 3rd they found where they were.... now its our turn... they introduce us as the winners the crowd all remembers us and came to see our 2 contract shows we played before the old singer quit... they are goin nuts... we played without missing a note.... results come in WITHOUT calling the bands to the stage, I was actually on the dance floor talking to a bunch of our "supporters" as I hear "And the winners of round 1 are **$&$&#^".... the crowd about beat them down lol.... sound guy comes to me and tells us that even in the judges point system we laid the smack down on them... but to make it look correct changed the other bands score because they were "supposed" to win... *** is that?

Even though we knew what was gonna run down it was still aggravating... but we will still enter it this year lol.....

20. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Similar situation happened with my current band, however, before I joined up with them. The band I was in at the time, as well as my fiancee's band, were supposed to be a part of that Battle of the Bands, but both our bands dropped out once we were told we had to sell tickets. Anyway, the band Im now, Starveya, they decided to play anyway. Turns out they won! I guess another band on the bill was very friendly with the owner & bartendress... she quickly took a disliking to my friends band, and they decided to leave as people started talking smack.