Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bergantino

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Leco reis, Feb 16, 2005.

1. Leco reis

Leco reis

Sep 2, 2004
    Astoria, NY
    I just got a Focus I and I am looking for a small cabin.
    Anyone have tried Bergantino?

2. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Don't know about a cabin, but There's a Small Hotel. :)

I have the Ampeg PB112 and really like it.

3. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Thanks a lot, Ray, glad I was only drinking water just now...easy to clean off the PC, after blowing it out my nose.

Now I'm gonna be hearing that tune when I wake up.

4. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I owned a Bergantino HT112 for a couple of years. It ws a nice little cabinet. It colored the sound a little, but in a very pleasing way. It also handled power well and was compact and easy to carry. HTH.

5. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I like the Ampeg Porta bass cabinets as well, particularly the 1x10". They are so light! I am thinking about getting one to use with my iAMP head.

6. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    A sincere apology -- but, who could resist a straight-line like that?

7. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Ray, you wasn't too down with the 1 10 as I recall. Or did you just like the 1 12 better?

Oh, There's a Mall Ho, Dale!

8. Brian K

Brian K Supporting Member

May 21, 2004
    Toronto, ON
  9. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    I have the 12" (Baaaby).

No -- it's not hi-fi -- but out front it sounds great. Over the years I've had zero luck with hi-fi equipment. It always seems to get muddled or electric sounding at a distance.

10. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    I have two Bergantino HT-112s that I use for BG, DB, and EUB. I power them with either a GK 400RB or Eden WT-400. They have a sound that is clear and full without being boomy, but they do seem to have a bit of a dip in the upper mids.

Before hearing Bergantinos I had never heard a bass cab that had what I would consider a good-sounding tweeter. The Foster horns many manufacturers use sound simply awful to me, and I suspect that many of them use cheap crossover components that mess up the high/low phase relationships. The Berg tweeters sound great, even turned up all the way.

I think they're great for doubling, though I do like them a bit better for BG than DB. To me they sound like a big cabinet squeezed into a small box, whereas most small cabs I've heard just sound little.

11. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I have played the Bergantino 1x12's, both the EX112 and HT112, and both are excellent. Not as ultimately transparent as some cabs, but much more balanced than others. Full low mids, chewy upper mids, and smooth high end (talking about the HT112, here). I am fortunate enough to have used a number of really nice cabs, and in the small cab arena, here are some that I can recommend from first hand use.

In the "uncolored", "accurate" camp, I really like (in no particular order):

EA VL-series cabs (VL-108, VL-110, VL-208)
    EA CxL-110, CxL-112
    EA Wizzy
    Accugroove Tri 208
    Accugroove Tri 110
    Hevos Midget

The Hevos I actually bought off of Ray, and while I am head over heels in love with it, apparently it did not work out as well for Ray. So, this certainly highlights that different gear combinations, in different settings, with different players = different results (duh!). Plus, personal preference is quite variable, as well. Of the group of cabs, above, I should point out that the Wizzy offers tremendous tone/volume for its size/weight. Like Sam, I absolutely love the VL-208, but it is not a lightweight.

In the "slightly colored" camp, or "cabs that have their own sound, but still let the instruments shine through", I can recommend the following:

Bergantino HT-112
    Epifani T-112
    Epifani T-110UL
    Raezer's Edge Bass 10
    Ashdown Mini 10T

Both the Ashdown and the Bass 10 are somewhat limited in the lowest register, and as such, I don't recommend them for 5-string electric, but on a 4-string doghouse, they sound quite nice.

Another brand of cabs that I do not own (yet!), but which are very promising, IMHO, include the 2x8's and 3x8's made by Low Down Sound. Don Oats is quite an innovator, and really makes some great cabs.

I have tried the PortaBass cabs, but they just didn't float my boat. Again, that may be just me, my fingers, my gear, and my preferences. I have also tried the GS112, and I liked its full low-mids and its clear high end, but I found it to be somewhat scooped in the upper mids, and the lows and highs sounded kind of disjointed to me. But, see above for disclaimer. ;)

Another cab to consider is the ACME Low B-1. I have a Low B-2, and it is a great cab. The ACME's do love power, but your Focus should be able to deliver, especially if you get a 4 ohm Low B-1. The Accugroove Tri 112 is another killer cab.

Hope this helps, Tom.

12. I've been thinking about the PB112 myself as an extension for my GK200MB - a local store has one used for about $150, which seem like a deal. I'm looking to add some boom and bottom for my bluegrass/acoustic rock gig. How does the Ampeg do in that department?

13. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Pushing it with that amp I'd want to try it out first. Also make sure that you're ohm-age is ok with the combination...

14. Possible good news for DBers regarding Bergantino .
    Jim is working on a 2x8 proto-type cabinet for DBers and is trying to get more of a "acoustic" quality to the cab. Last conversation was to check back with him in about a month from now. I am keeping my fingers crossed,hoping he nails it.

Mark :bassist:

15. Leco reis

Leco reis

Sep 2, 2004
    Astoria, NY
    I am glad to make you laugh with my typing abilitys Ray
    Cabinet not cabin
    thanks

16. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Oh, lighten up! :) It's all meant in a good-natured way -- and you got your info on the 'cabin', to boot.

17. Leco reis

Leco reis

Sep 2, 2004
    Astoria, NY
    see? abilities no abilitys

18. Leco reis

Leco reis

Sep 2, 2004
    Astoria, NY
    I know!

19. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Hot damn! Please let us know when you hear more about this - I would be first in line to get one, especially if it's light and compact like his HT112 was. Also, if he ever makes a 1x8, I want to be first on the sign-up list. I loves me my VL108, and have been trying without success to find another for over a year now.

20. Randy Ward

Randy Ward Formally Known As Univac Jr. Supporting Member

I have a friend that got two of the bergantino 12's. he loves 'em. and he got rid of a slew of EA stuff because of them. his feeling is that hey are less colored than the EA ....
    so there is another opinion

Very interesting about the bergantino 2x8.
    it sounds like what I am waiting for.

Since so many of you mentioned ampeg stuff;does anyone know anything about this ampeg PBC 228 that is in Ampeg's new flyer but not their web site?
    specs say:
    200 watts into 4 ohms
    2x8 speakers
    2 independent input channels.
    (Does that mean separate eq as well?)
    size 16x16x10
    35 pounds

could be cool for DB
    what do you guys think?