1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bergentino vs. Epifani

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bradjonesbass, May 12, 2006.

1. Who has played both? Which did you prefer? I'm talking apples to apples comparisons. 1x12 vs 1x12, 2x10 vs 2x10, etc... I'm getting ready to buy my cabinets and I'm looking for some opinions. I'm playing a G&L L2500 90% of the time, an SWR Grand Prix pre amp and a QSC USA850 power amp. I've pretty much narrowed my search to those two companies and am fairly well settled on getting a 1x12 now and adding a 2x10 later.

Give me reasons for your preferences as well - depth perception, volume, reliability, etc...

2. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    ferrari vs. lamborghini
    elite modeling vs. ford modeling
    bulgari vs. cartier
    lombardi's vs. grimaldi's

seriously, tons of threads to either maker that should shed tons of light.

3. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Tone is a matter of preference.

Bergantinos have a smaller footprint.
    Epifani UL series are less weight

Both sound superb.

4. If you're using a 1x12 alone for a while, you'll want to go with the Epifani.

5. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

Maybe, maybe not. IMHO, the Bergantino 112 is the best 112 I've ever heard.

It's worth a drive to check them out if you're going to drop that kind of cash. It's doubtful you'll see too many of either one available on the used market.

6. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    It depends on what you're going for.

If you want lightweight, then the Epifani UL112 for sure.
    If you want a deep sounding cab in a small package Epifani UL112
    If you want a punchy, articulate, compact cab then Bergantino HT112
    If you want a 12 with low-end depth that rivals a 15, the Berg HT122S

Epifani UL112s cost a little more than the HT112s, if that's a factor.

Also, Epifani has the Performance series that will be out this month. They are a little heavier, but still have the great Epifani tone. Plus they are more affordable than the ULs.

7. 64jazzbass

64jazzbass

Sep 5, 2002
    Chicago, Il
    ferrari vs. lamborghini
    elite modeling vs. ford modeling
    bulgari vs. cartier
    lombardi's vs. grimaldi's

I'm not sure about the speaker question, but Grimaldi's is definitely better pizza than Lombardi's..:)

S.O.T.G. Rich likes this.
  8. What is the difference between the Performance series and the UL series.

9. Don't get me wrong. I own two Bergie 112's. :)

The Epifani is a better stand alone cab though. More volume and low end.

P.S. I'm assuming this cab will be played in a live situation with a drummer.

10. Yes, it will be used with my alt. country jam band. Two guitars, electric banjo, electric viola, drums, etc...

11. Are you going for the "flats with a dubby tone" thing?

12. Fretless5verfan

Fretless5verfan

Jan 17, 2002
    NorCal
    I'll try to fill in here till Jive answers you properly:p

From what i know, the PS series is heavier, uses a different wood in the cab construction, and is voiced lower than the UL series. They are also less efficient. The tone is described as inbetween the old NYC models and the ULs. Some of the PS cabs are also bigger than thier UL counterparts (like the PS410)

I was all set to order a PS115 to start my all Epi rig, but sadly they aren't out till the end of may. When they do come out, i'll be the first in line to grab one! :D

13. No, I prefer a punchy type tone. At times the music delves into jam/funk/fusion territory. I'm a big fan of Oteil and love his tone live - I know he's using Epifani 2x10's and 1x15's on the current tour. In store I prefer the tone of the Bergantino, but on stage, I'm not sure.

14. svtb15

svtb15

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig
    Which has more low end.. Not on paper but in real life.. The Berg HT122S or the Aggy GS112.
    I have the GS112's and they are great for their size..

15. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    The PS is voiced a little deeper than the ULs. The cabinet materials, drivers, and cabinet dimensions are different than the ULs. They are also heavier.

They are more like the old NYC cabs in terms of tone, but they look different cosmetically. From what I've heard, Nick did some tweaks on the cabs since NAMM. I'm curious to see what they are.

16. Fretless5verfan

Fretless5verfan

Jan 17, 2002
    NorCal
    I'm interested in this one myself :smug:

I'd think that the Berg's low end would be just as deep, but odds are it'd be much tighter sounding than the GS112. But that's just a wild guess :D

17. paulraphael

paulraphael

Apr 13, 2006
    Brooklyn
    If you heard me play, you'd stop reading what I write.
    +1!!

18. I think Bergantino would be great for what you're describing (as would Epifani). If you like the Bergie tone in the store, then that's an important data point.

Personally, I'm sold on Bergantino. It's the cabinet brand for me.

But I still don't think that a single 112 is a good stand alone. Now the HT-112 and EX-112 together...that's a different story! :bassist:

I should also note that I have doubts about single 12's in general for stand alone use. I think a 2x10 is a MUCH better standalone. Have you considered starting with that?

19. MacGroove

MacGroove Brother of the Groove with a 'Pocket Full of Funk'

Oct 5, 2005
    Calif.
    The Epi PS112's are 38 lbs., 300 watts @ 8 ohms and list for $399.00. They are the same size (at the NAMM show) as the UL112. The other PS cabs are larger then their UL counter parts. It does have an extended lower end then the UL but tight like the T and NYC series.

20. Smallequestrian

Smallequestrian Rock and/or Roll

Jul 6, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Beta Tester: Source Audio
    When I bouught My Berg HT210s, I directly compared it to the Epifani UL2x10. Both were great but I prefered the evenness of the Berg over the somewhat scooped sound of the Epi. The Epi sure was nice though, and easily liftable with one hand. Hard to go wrong, just depends on what you like.