1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Best Bass Strap for Weight Distribution?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by faulknersj, Jun 6, 2011.

1. My Sling strap came today. Helps quite a bit for my sprained AC joint, which is slowly healing.

Last night I tried to play a light weight (8.5lbs) bass with a 4" strap. Made it for only 5 minutes before an onslaught of severe pain. Couldn't get the bass off fast enough, almost dropped it in the process.

Anyway today, with the Sling over my left shoulder, and a 9lb bass, I managed 15 minutes mostly pain-free. Even so, the Sling's 2" wide strap was digging into my shoulder a bit.

So I ordered a Planet Waves gel-filled shoulder pad from Sweetwater. Should make the Sling even more effective.

Planet Waves PW GSP Gel Shoulder Pad for Fabric Straps | eBay

Will report back...

2. I'm hoping not to have to go to the Hip/Waist strap. Not loving the idea of drilling holes in my basses to accommodate that strap.

3. Steve Dallman

Steve Dallman Supporting Member

And that's the rub. I used flushmount straplocks. I do have basses I'm reluctant to drill.

The acoustic hip strap uses the existing strap button on the end, and uses velcro on the upper body. That might be an alternative to drilling.

4. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music.

May 3, 2009
    N.E Illinois
    Just bought a Comfort Strapp.Far better than the Dare strap. Snapshot_2015326 (4). It really helps distribute the weight of this 13lb bass!
    Do you notice that my bass has no neck dive when I let go?.That's because of my Anchor Belt. Snapshot_2015326 (3).
    Third picture shows relocated strap peg on the back. Snapshot_2015326 (6).

Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
  5. monsterthompson

monsterthompson The Eighth Note Wonder Of The World Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    I'll vouch for the Slinger waist/hip. I'm friends with the maker and got to give him feedback and input. It does have limits on positioning, but it beats crippling shoulder and neck pain.

6. addicted

addicted

May 23, 2012
    How does wide and narrow bass strap differ? Does the wide bass strap offer better weight distribution? And does leather material help making the strap more comfortable on shoulder (not to mention it does sport a finer look) ?

I am often experiencing neck and shoulder blade issue even before I started playing bass thus I want to invent on better strap to help reducing the shoulder load when playing bass.

7. I use a Ritter "Tempur Strap" and find it very comfortable. I think Sadowsky makes identical Straps.

8. Neotech

Neotech

Mar 3, 2008
    Belgrade, Montana
    Manufacturer of Neotech Straps and Accessories
    There is actually quite a bit of science going on here. A wide strap can help disperse weight, but depending on its materials etc. it can end up simply moving all the weight to the two outer edges. This can result is a less-uncomfortable strap more than a comfortable strap.

Hope this helps. I'm always happy to answer any questions you may have.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2015
  9. T2k5

T2k5

Feb 16, 2011
    Kerava, Finland
    Another option is to attach a 5mm layer of neoprene under the expensive ultra-wide and hard-edged leather strap you bought for an extremely heavy bass, so you don't have to let that strap go to waste when you eventually start to notice how painful a leather strap can be. :D Huge improvement for just a couple of dollars.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2015
    christle likes this.
  10. Mktrat

Mktrat Seriously, are we not doing phrasing anymore? Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2013
    The Mitten
  11. ferdinandstrat

ferdinandstrat

Oct 7, 2014
    This actually looks very useful for heavy bass guitars. It may make you look like a tool but it looks like a products that may genuinely do the trick!

12. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    here's my review I submitted to the Slinger website. Let's see if they publish it, it seems they only publish 5 star reviews. This is a 2 star

Review: I was excited to buy this strap (excited enough to drill a hole in my vintage bass to accommodate the extra strap) but when I tried it on I was disappointed. The top of the bass falls forward, forcing me to use my right arm to hold it against my body, not exactly conducive to long term comfort or proper technique. Since I was already in it for the cost of the strap (plus shipping) the extra set of strap locks I bought, and had already drilled a hole in my bass, I decided to attach an extra strap to add the one that goes over the shoulder to control the flopping. It works fine, but I wish I had just purchased that model to begin with. Also, when wearing my bass, I can't bend at the waist at all, even to the point of not being able to pick up a cable off the ground without taking off the bass (more complicated than it sounds, especially if you have to put it right back on) or getting help from someone else

13. GregT

GregT

Jan 29, 2012
    Southwest Missouri
    Ordered one of these in white today to match my Olympic White Precision from Jason at BassStringsOnline.

JimmyM likes this.
  14. adivin

adivin Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    I like the Mono Betty too, but I must disclose that the black dye bled and has stained at least three expensive white dress shirts on the collar. Customer service would do nothing for me after sending pics, etc.

15. Jake Castle

Jake Castle Supporting Member

Jun 11, 2018
    The One Strap from scotts bass lessons is the best strap I've ever used. I have two.

SBL One Strap - Handmade Leather Bass Guitar Strap

It's up for sale now, but it won't be for long. They only offer it every couple of months. Well worth the wait and cost.

16. Ironbar

Ironbar

Aug 24, 2013
    Portland, Oregon
    Personally, I found that the Levy's padded 4" wide strap was TOO wide. The damned thing cut into my neck. I found that a plain 3" wide Levy's suede strap does the best for me.