1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Best Bass Strap for Weight Distribution?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by faulknersj, Jun 6, 2011.

1. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    I was going back and forth between the Levys 3" and 4" wide (agree completely on the padding and the suede - really helps). I went with 3" because for how I wear the bass I'm thinking 4" might be too wide and push against my neck. I suppose that begs the question - how wide is too wide?

But I also make sure all my basses are under 9lbs so that helps as well.

2. nocontrols

nocontrols

Apr 2, 2011
    Regardless of what you think about appearance, which is objectively better for weight distribution:

A wide, padded single strap?

OR

One of those double straps that goes over both shoulders?

Is the only thing stopping people from using the latter the way it looks? Or is there another issue? Because I'm not shallow so I think it might be best to choose whichever one helps my back the most.

3. I use an identical strap, I bought it because I was getting shoulder pain after about the three hour mark with my main bass which is getting towards the heavy side . Not had an issue since and now have two more for other basses.

4. Evil Undead

Evil Undead

Oct 31, 2009
  5. MrSandman

MrSandman

Jul 27, 2009
    Croatia, Zagreb
    for me Fender neoprene bass strap works very well... also price is ok. I just dont like leather as much. But Leather would be must on vintage style bass..

6. Toptube

Toptube

Feb 9, 2009
    double strap. Try to find a nice one, though. Those cheap ones with the button won't hold a bass.

7. gruvgear

gruvgear

Jan 10, 2011
    Keep an eye out guys... Damian Erskine is introducing his signature double-shoulder strap real soon I heard ;)

8. pringlw

pringlw

Nov 22, 2008
    Seattle Area
    +100 on this. I also have a 4" Moody. Last strap you will ever buy. Yes it is pricy, but relative to your overall setup cost it's nothing.

9. nocontrols

nocontrols

Apr 2, 2011
    Thanks. :) Any specific recommendations? Link me if possible.

10. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
  11. MarTONEbass

MarTONEbass Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2009
    Norton, MA
    +1 Great strap for heavier instruments.

12. nocontrols

nocontrols

Apr 2, 2011
    Swanky. :) I'd feel like Hugh Hefner wearing crushed velvet.

13. faulknersj

faulknersj Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2008
    Scottsdale Az
    Thanks for all the input fellas! I am really leaning toward a nice Moodys strap...or...if I am feeling thrifty maybe a Levy's strap. I am not really that into the neoprene straps because of the way they bounce around...however, come to think of it...I guess I don't jump around the stage all the time like I used to when the elasticity of those straps bothered me :) The truth is anything will be better than my 2" stock Fender strap i use now!

14. Octavian

Octavian

Sep 25, 2009
    I've been using a Levy's 4-1/2" strap. Very comfy, but I'm finding it a tad too wide. If the dog chews this one or I need to replace it, I'll probably try out the 3".

15. If you get a Levy's, just be sure to get the kind that has the .25 inch padding between two layers of wide leather. That makes a big difference. They look the same as some of the other Levy's. Good looking and comfortable for hours. I've got two and they do the trick.

16. Funkfaker

Funkfaker

Jan 4, 2008
    Brooklyn, NY
    Endorsing Artist: CallowHill Guitars; Aguilar Amplification; MonoCases
    Happily on the MONO bandwagon.

The Betty strap makes playing less fatiguing on the back and shoulders.

Totally worth it.

17. SallyGrowler

SallyGrowler

May 17, 2010

Love my neotech!

18. bassclef04

bassclef04 Bass and Beyond!

Mar 24, 2006
    Bronx, NY
    Sadowsky straps are great, think it's the same as neotech.

19. Biga173rd

Biga173rd

Apr 18, 2004
    New York, NY
    Hey faulknersj So far the best two straps in my IMHO the comfortstrapp I own 2 and lately i been using the Levi's Model PM48NP3 for my Lakland 55-01. This strap is super comfy for this bass witch is a little heavy. The Levi's strap is a little expensive but worth the money you can get it online eles where for half the price.

20. bryprezcern

bryprezcern Supporting Member

Jun 5, 2007
    jd56hawk likes this.