1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Best Bass Strap for Weight Distribution?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by faulknersj, Jun 6, 2011.

1. faulknersj

faulknersj Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2008
    Scottsdale Az
    Can anyone recommend a wide strap that distrubutes the weight of a bass accross the shoulder evenly? I play with my bass a little higher up than some...between the top of my chest and my stomach. I need a strap that will make 4 hour sets 5 nights a week a little easier on my body! Thanks for the recomendations!

2. The Diaper Geni

The Diaper Geni Submissive. And loving it. Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2005
    Central Ohio
    I'm interested in this as well as I've got a bad lower back.

To the OP: My go-to strap :)eyebrow:) is your basic 4" wide, good quality leather strap. I'm able to do 2-3 4 hour shows/week without too much discomfort.

I did try a weird lookin' strap that I saw in the classifieds of Bass Player mag some yeas back. But it just wasn't for me.

Slightly off-point, but I think worth mentioning is some upper body/core excercises if you're lacking. Even a moderate amount of effort will yield positive results, IMO/IME.

smeet likes this.
  3. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
  4. JDJen

JDJen

Mar 18, 2010
  5. MN_Bass

MN_Bass Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2008
    Minnesota
  6. Hifiguy

Hifiguy

Jul 9, 2008
    Moody straps are expensive, but have a great rep for comfort and gorgeous leatherworking.

7. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Levy's MSS2-4. I've tried 5 or 6 expensive straps, and the MSS2-4 is the only one that works for me on heavy basses. Ultimately, though, you'll find that a heavy bass is a heavy bass, and you might consider lightening your load for the ultimate solution.

bass nitro and GregT like this.
  8. faulknersj

Apr 4, 2008
    Scottsdale Az
    Thanks for all the help! Some good suggestions here!

9. StrangerDanger

StrangerDanger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
  10. I've got a couple of 11+ pound basses that just sound too good to be let at home. After finding the Comfort Strapp to not quite fit based on how I wear me basses (my shoulder always ended up just at the outer edge of the padding) I got turned on to these Neotech straps. Buy Neotech Mega Bass Strap | Bass Specialty Straps | Musician's Friend

Best. Strap. Ever. At least that I've used. I use nothing else and do not suffer any ill effects from 4+ hours with one(and I'm no spring chicken...).

Flo Mc Bass likes this.
  11. StrangerDanger

StrangerDanger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Just goes to show, different strokes for different folks. I had one of those and I felt like the bass was on a bungee cord. Very distracting. The OP needs to try out a bunch but I cant recommend Moody's more strongly. I got mine here off the classifieds for $55!!!

12. JxBass

JxBass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2008
    Mono GS1 Betty strap is pretty comfortable.

13. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    I have Comfort, Neo, Sadowsky, and most recently Levy. I have to say that I vastly prefer the Levy for everything except maybe my MB-2 (which is 6.1 lbs). I have a pair of these for the Fenders:

M4GF - Levy's Leathers

Highly recommended. I use my Sadowsky on the Deep5 and that works. The Comfort and Neo (stock one) flex too much for my taste. ymmv

14. The Diaper Geni

The Diaper Geni Submissive. And loving it. Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2005
    Central Ohio
  15. bThumper38

bThumper38 brian ebert

16. deb

deb

Mar 10, 2009
    Toronto, Canada
    +1 to JimmyM's recommendation.

I've tried the Comfort Strap (Comfort Strapp - Guitar, Computer and Utility Shoulder Strap Comfort), Sadowsky's NeoStrap (https://secure.sadowsky.com/store/p...id=75&osCsid=4bfab2e36e1a40860135eed5c494bf54), Eyeland Enterprises Bass Xtra Clef Strap (Custom Guitar Straps and Bass Guitar Straps Page 1), and Levy's M29 Ergonomic Strap (M29 - Levy's Leathers). All are good straps.

The strap that worked the best was Levy's MSS2-4. It's 4" wide. Does a heck of a good job taking stress away from my back and shoulders.

17. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I have one of these and it's pretty good, but it ain't cheap anymore. Back when I got mine I think I paid $50 or $60. A year ago I asked if I could just get a new tail for it since mine got lost, and he wanted $25 for it. $25? I'll get a piece of raw leather and stick velcro on it myself!

18. faulknersj

Apr 4, 2008
    Scottsdale Az
    Lots of good options! I really appreciate all the links and suggestions!