1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Best Bass Strap for Weight Distribution?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by faulknersj, Jun 6, 2011.

1. jeronimoski

jeronimoski

Sep 27, 2011
    MSS90 Levys. Can you still use strap locks with this one? Or does the strap stay on without locks?

2. Steve Dallman

Steve Dallman Supporting Member

I used a wide, padded Levy leather strap when I first developed shoulder pain (caused by severe arthritis chewing up my neck.) Nice at first. Then a Neotech Comfort strap, which was marginally better. Finally a Slinger Waist Strap which I dearly love which ended my neck/shoulder pain. Unfortunately it is not for high waisters or the more portly among us bass players (of which I used to be as well.)

3. pierce200

pierce200

Feb 28, 2009
    I'm thinking the Mono GS1 looks like a very comfortable way to go. Two versions, long and short.

Anybody tried one?

4. KOakley

KOakley

Sep 26, 2002
    Hampton Va
    I have used Dare straps for years. Never had any problems holding any of my basses. Very comfortable. Wear a black shirt and the strap disappears.

5. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    I still think the Pro Comfort Strapp is the most comfortable I've ever used. However, I've pretty much switched over to the Mono "Betty" because the "Long" Comfort Strapp isn't quite long enough for my taste. And the "Extra Long" Comfort Strapp, while long enough, doesn't sit on my shoulder in the "sweet spot" of the strap. The Mono Betty is a perfect length for me, and almost as comfortable as the Comfort Strapp.

The Levys MSS90 is a comfortable strap, but not long enough for me.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2015
  6. Another vote for Neotech here. Mine doesn't feel very "bouncy", it just feels comfortable!

7. I use the planet waves nylon. Is cheap and comfy. I have scoliosis in my spine and it works fine!

8. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    I have the Neotech, but I've mostly been using Levy's padded wide lately. The neotech is down in the "band room", time to go get it. :D

9. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    I have a "both shoulders" strap that's a bit like that without the hip attach, but I never got it to fit comfortably. I'm on the portly side at the moment, but think I'll try the slinger anyway, looks interesting.

10. Mark 63

Mark 63

Apr 3, 2012
    Connecticut
    Yes, the MONO Betty is very well made and very comfortable. It has good distribution of weight.

11. Steve Dallman

I forgot my Waist Strap last weekend, and the standard strap (Neotech) and my heavy Line 6 5 string killed my shoulder (arthritis.)\

That will NEVER happen again.

One note, I've mentioned before that the Slinger might not work well on the more portly among us (and I used to be one.) They do now sell a pad that slips over the strap to increase comfort. I'm planning on buying a second Slinger to reduce my chances of forgetting mine.

bholder...I'll make you a deal. If you buy a Slinger and don't like it, or can't use it, I'll buy it from you for $5 under what you pay for the strap and shipping. Is it worth $5 to try?

I have nothing to do with the company. I love the strap because without it, I would no longer be gigging.

I have arthritis chewing through the soft tissue at my joints. My trapezius muscles and the associated tendons are starting to go. All the discs in my neck are gone. I had one cervical fusion, but going further is pointless.

Even the Neotech only slows down the onset of pain. 20 minutes and the pain starts. 4 hours and I can barely move my arm.

No problems since the waist strap.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2015
  12. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Cool! I already ordered one, the both shoulders version (just looks like it has an extra shoulder strap) and both waist and shoulder pads, we'll see.

13. Interesting. I can kinda relate a little. I'm one month into a sprained AC joint (shoulder-collar bone connection) injury, and had to abandon my music projects entirely. I'm just now getting to the point where I can play an 8lb bass with a 4" strap, but only for about ten minutes. Oddly, playing seated is no better.

This Slinger strap could be a solution for me. I looked on the Slinger website, they're not showing a "Waist" strap, per se.

Are you referring to the "Sling" strap, or the "Harness" strap, perhaps?

Also, has shifting the load down to your hips caused any issues? My damn hips are going bad, too!

GUITAR & BASS STRAPS

14. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    The "waist" strap is: Guitar Strap | Slinger Hip Strap The others have that piece, but this one is just the belt contraption, no shoulder strap.

15. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    I wouldn't trade my Comfort Strapp for the next 3 best straps.

16. Gotcha, thanks. I think I'll try the "Sling" model. The shoulder portion of the strap can go to either shoulder. Also, no need to drill holes in the lower horn like the Hip Strap shows. $40 shipped from Slinger, not too much to experiment with, and a bargain if it solves my issue.

17. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Yeah, I do most of my playing sitting down at the moment, still use a strap for security, but I do recall why I have an assortment of nice straps downstairs. A lot of the basses I like are heavy, and if I ever start going to jam sessions, let alone gigging, I'd be looking again.

18. Okay, so I got a "Sling" model off reverb.com for $32 shipped.

Will report back when it arrives....

19. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music.

May 3, 2009
    N.E Illinois
    I bought a Dare strap three days ago.
    I'm returning it.
    The snap keeps coming undone and the thing constricts my neck when I wear it high enough for where I play.
    Something with a weight constricting your neck is not good.

20. Steve Dallman

I use the Waist Strap...not anything that goes over my shoulders. I've tried all manner of shoulder straps (padded, wide, double, etc) and they all hurt me and hurt me bad. Arthritis spurs are chewing up the soft tissue all over my body and my shoulders got bad a couple years ago.

If it were not for the Slinger Waist Strap, I would not be gigging anymore.

I just looked at the Slinger site again. They call the "waist" strap the "hip" strap. I'll call it such from now on. I could swear it used to be called a waist strap. Maybe memories of the Fender waist strap I used in the mid-late 60's.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2015