1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best basses on a budget

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by progrmr, Sep 6, 2008.

1. progrmr

progrmr

Sep 3, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    So I see lots of threads setting a limit of $1000...how about, say $300??

What are the best bases (both in initial quality and ability to upgrade) for less than $300??

Or does everyone but me spend at least $1000 on their basses??

2. slybass3000

slybass3000 Banned

Nov 5, 2004
    Montréal,Qc,Canada
    I have found an EXCELLENT Fender Jazz MIM brand new for less then $500.00. It is worth the double at least.

Sylvain

3. Funkdrawer4

Funkdrawer4 Registered Abuser

SX..essex
    Ibanez sr basses

4. meowmeow

meowmeow

Nov 11, 2007
    Either an SX LTD or a squier vintage modified is what your looking for. The squier is around 279 and the sx is 179. Having played both, Id say that theyre about equal. Both are constructed very well and sound great. I however chose an SX bexause I think it looks better, it was cheaper, and I like the neck more.

5. shatterd

shatterd

Feb 24, 2008
    Try to find a used G&L Tribute series bass on ebay or craigslist.

Also...Cort makes some nice basses. Look for the Artisan basses by Cort.

6. mrkreuzschlitz

mrkreuzschlitz

Jun 30, 2008
    Dacula, GA
    If you can opt for it,

+1 for a used G&L.

7. theophilus762

theophilus762 Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2006
    Durham, NC
    +2 for a G&L tribute!

8. 9mmMike

9mmMike Would you happen to have a cookie for me? Supporting Member

My Squier Standard Jazz cost 249.99 from Music123.

It is easy to upgrade. I am waiting on new pots from bayou cable now and I will be changing the pickups in the future as well. Easy to upgrade in stages and real nice initial quality IMHO.

9. superfunk47

superfunk47

Sep 9, 2007
    Yep. Sorry. You're the only one :D:p

VM Squiers, used G&L (sometimes even US models, I've seen it) used Fender, used Carvin...take your pick :)

10. DanielleMuscato

DanielleMuscato

Jun 19, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri, USA
    Endorsing Artist, Schroeder Cabinets
    There are plenty of decent basses under 300 clams. SX comes to mind, Squier VM, etc if you are buying new; MANY to choose from if you go used.

11. Captain_Arrrg

Captain_Arrrg

Jan 23, 2008
    Mountains of Colorado
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses
    I always love it when the OP sets a limit and the first response goes over. "My bass is great, but it's over the limit... Oh, well.."

Get a Spector USA Bolt-On- They're well worth double whatever you'll pay.

...Or go down to your local music store and check out their selection of Squires and Ibanezes.

12. pendergasta

pendergasta .- .- .-. --- -. / .--. . -. -.. . .-. --. .- ...

Jan 7, 2008
    North Carolina
    Ibanez Soundgear or Squier Vintage Modified.

I have a used 1993 Ibanez SR890 that I picked up for under $250, near-mint condition, and I LOVE it.
    I've also played the Squier vintage modified, and it's a pretty sweet bass for the price. And I usually hate Squiers.

13. gkbass13

gkbass13 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2006
    Chicago
    used g&l's
    used mim fender's
    squire vintage modified
    sx
    used mtd kingston's
    used spectors

14. SubXero

SubXero

Apr 27, 2008
    Philadelphia
    definitely ibanez. my first bass was an sr300dx and it was just under $300.

and yeah used you can find a buncha decent stuff for $300

15. slybass3000

slybass3000 Banned

Nov 5, 2004
    Montréal,Qc,Canada
    I figured that between less then $500 and a price of $300 for a bass we are pretty much in the same water!
    Don't get me wrong,my main axe is worth $5000.00 and I love playing the MIM anyway.

Sylvain

16. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    Lots of used USA Peaveys, like the Foundation (Jazz bass style), Fury (P-Bass clone) or T40. If you search out used basses, a nice MIM Fender may show up.

New there's SX, Squier, Yamaha, Ibanez, or Jay Turser. It just depends on what you are looking for and what feels good in your hands.

17. Revvv

Revvv

Oct 31, 2007
    Georgia
    The list of good basses around the $300 and less mark is quite extensive.

There are none that I would place on top of the list in particular at the moment, but there are many that will get the job done, and do it at a pro level.

As for what has been suggested so far, the Squire Vintage Modified is an excelent choice, as is a used G&L tribute. Especially if you can find a used L-2000 (good luck though).

You can get a new:
    Epiphone Thunderbird for $300
    Squire Deluxe with active pickups $300
    Peavey Millenium AC (active) BPX 4 string $300

You can also find Trabens and a few good Schecter basses in your price range. I'm not an Ibanez fan, but you can also find many that will do you a good job.

I would gladly own any of the basses I listed. In fact, I own a Peavey Millenium AC BPX 5string and have gigged with it. In fact, I have tossed a couple recordings down with it, and it does great.

18. Used MIM fender Jazz or P bass, Schecter

New Squier VM

19. Stevem627

Stevem627

Nov 30, 2005
    Corinth, TX
    Many different USA Peavey basses are all good choices used...you can find a Millennium for a little over $300.

20. Captain_Arrrg

Captain_Arrrg

Jan 23, 2008
    Mountains of Colorado
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses
    I can understand how you could think that, but when $300 is your max, an extra $200 is not really the same water.

There are threads of this kind that you suggestion would have fit- My observation is, that even in those threads, someone always goes over.

Let's hope this only happens with fantasy budgeting. :D