1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best Buy selling musical instruments

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Funkdrawer4, Mar 1, 2008.

1. Funkdrawer4

Funkdrawer4 Registered Abuser

Some of you may know that Best Buy has gotten in to the musical instument market.I went to the new store in Roseville ,MN,which is right across the parking lot from G.C.:eek::crying::D.I talked with the guy there ,who used to work at GC,as many there did.He said this is the first store that is not considered a test market,they had 5 open before this one and 30 more to come across the USA.The prices were lower too.Stuff at GC that always went for 399 was at BB for 339.Fender,Gibson ,line6,Granted not as much selection but that will come as people let them know what they would like to see.I picked up a Line6 lowdown 110 for 219.00.

2. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Intriguing. How much lower are we talking here? :D

3. Jjango

Jjango

Nov 16, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
  4. Funkdrawer4

There was a few items bass combo amps that are 399 at GC ,339 at BB,If you search the BB website they are slowly putting stuff on there but you have to poke around a bit.

5. they have had cheap guitars there for the past 2 years
    mostly Starcasters and the cheap equivelant of Gibson
    the one strat I played was horrible
    BTW they sell Starcaster much cheaper at Sams Club

6. Funkdrawer4

This BB store has full line of fender basses etc .not just the cheapo crap from before

7. Funkdrawer4

My guess is the website is not completed yet.But hey its coming to your town,maybe:hyper:

8. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Starcaster?? :spit:

9. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    No no no.........it isn't stuff on their site. Best Buy is going to start implementing full music gear to compete with GC.

Trust me on this.

10. Funkdrawer4

Sorry I brought it up.They really had all this name brand stuff! it wasnt a dream :crying:

11. koobie

koobie

Jul 11, 2007
    Portland OR
    But the Best Buy "sales associates" might not be as knowledgeable as the ones at GC.;)

12. Funkdrawer4

I never thought of that!:eyebrow:
    GC=Commission
    BB=Hourly
    Good = Bad?????????

13. Warpeg

Warpeg Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    You know, there comes a point where price is not the primary factor in deciding what music store to shop in. I go to music stores for a variety of reasons. Sure, there are a ton of basses, amps, etc. that I like to buy and play with at music stores. But, there's also the fact that it's MY hobby and lifestyle. I go into music stores to associate with my fellow musicians, talk to knowledgeable sales people for advice, and just have an overall feeling of being in my element. Having a department store like BB come in and destroy that...well...it just makes me mad. There's something wrong with buying a new Jazz Bass and then walking 20 feet to buy a washer and dryer! And how are we going to feel when the TV salesman comes over to us, accompanied by his snotty customers, and tells us to turn down the "guitar amp"? Meanwhile, the other customers in the store are shooting you dirty looks for making "noise."

Sure, I have the right to just not shop there, but how many music stores are going to suffer once BB is in full swing with this idea? And how many of us are going to lose the sanctuary of the music store when most of them are gone?

14. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    So can I take my bass to the Geek Squad counter to tweak the neck under my service plan?

15. Funkdrawer4

Yeah ,maybe they can scan your fretboard for virus' (from last nights gig )

16. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Tis true, the Best Buy here in Murrieta has instruments.

The music section is isolated from the rest of the store (kinda like the home theater section) It is mostly entry to pro grade guitars, keys and drums from the big companies (Gibson, Fenfer, Epi, etc). The bass selection is very limited.

17. haha I have a Starcaster as my "living room beater" guitar. What a piece of ----. But it serves it's purpose well enough, I suppose.

18. Funkdrawer4

What? Not an official member of the starcaster club?