1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best cab for Upright?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Telsonater, Nov 16, 2014.

1. Glockenklang Space Art
    35384E3F-49C0-4E5F-A158-3F168DC0299E_zpsnx4w0zlh.

eric.damstra likes this.
  2. Can you get away with 1 cab only, or do you need to take two for a 'full sound'. I'm looking to upgrade my combo to the SL112 & possibly TH head.

3. pnchad

pnchad

Nov 3, 2005
    looks a lot like my rig - I also have a Schroeder 212/10 I think it is for louder gigs

but, if you're just looking for a reasonable cab for low to mid volume situations, I second the Bag End idea. I have a 1-10" from 20 years ago that looks like crap (cat got the rug) that makes a joyous sound for small $$

4. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    A good sounding bass needs a good cab. Walk into a store with a good FOH department with your Bass and head and try out some PA cabs. You'll be surprised on how good transparent cabs sound for DB. There's a lot of choices.

5. DukeLeJeune

DukeLeJeune rational romantic mystic cynical idealist Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 24, 2008
    Princeton, Texas
    Owner & designer, AudioKinesis; Auth. mfg, Big E (Home Audio only)
    I agree with the transparent cabs part, assuming the sound you seek is "your instrument only louder".

The weakness of PA cabs is, they're usually designed with the expectation that a subwoofer will handle the bottom octave (or more). So they tend to be optimized more for efficiency than for low-end extension and fartout resistance. If you EQ in the low-end extension you need, and you need it pretty loud, you may well run up against their fartout threshold (unless it's a really big PA top). There are high performance bass cabs on the market with PA-worthy transparency, and even though their efficiency is lower than that of a similar size/weight/price PA cab, their fartout-limited SPL ends up being higher.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2014
    Chris Fitzgerald likes this.
  6. Mr Ralph

Mr Ralph

Jul 12, 2014
    Hinckley Ohio
    I have a question for the amp/speaker gurus. As previously stated I can get an Acme low B2 for $225 it is in excellent condition and sounds good. I know you guys explained to me the inefficiency of this cabinet and its thirst for power. I have a Crown DC300A, bridged in mono at 8 ohms it should put out around 600 watts. I would run my Fdeck into the Crown or into a ART 215 Pro Channel Preamp ( these are not bad preamps). Or I would run my Fdeck into a Fishman dual parametric and then into the Crown. Just as a side note this will be a permanent setup at the church where I play (just the amp and cabinet) I plan down the road to get a MAS 26 but finances do not presently allow a $800 investment and I need something before Christmas as I play with a brass ensemble that comes to our church. I do not derive any income from my playing like a lot of you guys so it is hard to justify spending the $ sometimes. Do you guys think that setup will work and will it be safe with that cabinet.

Thanks, Ralph

7. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    KC Strings
    That's a good deal on the Acme so jump on that; it's a no-brainer. You'll just have to experiment to see what preamp will work best.

8. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri

Mr. Ralph.

The FDeck was not designed, to function as a separate pre amp on it's own. You don't have any EQ using the FDeck exclusively as your only tone shaping device. So you'll need something like the ART to function as a pre amp into
    the Crown DC300A. If you can find one the Fishman Dual Parametric DI would be perfect for your needs.

Ric

9. robgrow

robgrow Supporting Member

May 1, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    As Greg said, an Acme Low B2 for $225 is a good deal. Actually it sounds like a steal for a very high quality cab.

10. dkimbrobass

dkimbrobass

Jul 16, 2011
    Knoxville, TN
    Hey Groove Doctor. Sorry I'm only just now responding. I use one can often. It's great. What I meant was adding a second cab really ups the ante as far as volume/headroom. Full sound from just one cab.

Groove Doctor likes this.
  11. Mr Ignoto

Mr Ignoto

Dec 23, 2004
    Maryland
    I'm on the verge of springing for an Acme Low B1 based the rave reviews and posts all over this site, and the two week trial period that Acme offers for new purchases is pretty cool, too. I'm all about reducing footprint while maintaining killer sound. But I'm wondering whether I'll also feel the need to drop more dough for an AI or other high end clean head before I'm really satisfied.

I've been getting by in low volume (mainly jazz) settings with my GK 150 MBS and 112 MBX, and occasionally doubling by running the electric through the 150 MBS and the URB through a Phil Jones D-200 and the 112 MBX. This is a great set-up for musical theater, for example. For higher volume, usually electric gigs, I've been using an Aguilar AG500 and one or two GS 112s. Nothing to complain about, really, but I'm just thinking its time to take advantage of the micro movement. . . .

So I recently picked up a GK MB 500 head, and while I love the size, weight, price, and power -- and the EQ settings sound great through the Aggie GS 112 for electric -- I haven't yet been able to dial in a really good tone on the upright. The AG 500 sounds better to me for this application, actually.

So now I'm wondering how far the Acme B1 will go to solving my problem, or whether I am likely going to want to flip the new GK head and/or off-load some of the Aguilar gear to pay for an AI or something comparable? $$$$$!

Views or suggestions would be most welcome, including in particular any experience pairing the Acme B1 with either a GK MB 500, an Aggie GS 112, or both, or whether there is a better cab than the Low B1 at a comparable price point that would be a better match with the GK MB 500 for upright.

(BTW, this is my first post, though I've lurked around for quite some time.)

12. robgrow

robgrow Supporting Member

May 1, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Mr. Ignoto,

Welcome to TBDB. None of us can tell you what your sound should be or what you will like. Also I'd take rave reviews with a healthy dose of skepticism. I've bought more than my share of gear, especially speaker cabs, based on rave reviews and most of it, including an Acme Low B1, is gone now. Also I've heard way more great players use, and sound great, with a GK MB150 than with an Acme Low B1 with any amp, which should have been my first clue.

Also, if you're now using a MB150S with a 112MBX, it's an unreasonable expectation that you are going to get as much volume out of a single Low B1 no matter how much power you have to drive it. You will need at least two Low B1's, which weigh more than 60 lbs. combined. Plus you will need at least twice as much amp power (probably more) than the 150 watts you have now with the GK rig.

A good alternative to the Low B1 is the Epifani UL2-110. More balanced sound (not as bottom heavy), weighs less for a cab about the same general size, and much higher sensitivity (does not require as much amp power as the Low B1 for a comparable SPL). The UL2-110 is no longer in production, but they do turn up used occasionally.

Good luck.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2014
  13. Don Sibley

Don Sibley

Jun 27, 2005
    Fort Worth, TX
  14. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    KC Strings
    Different strokes. The thing the Acme does better than anything else I've tried is the tight low end which I value pretty highly. I want to hear and FEEL the notes. It's a darker sound for sure compared to the GK combo but I like it. A single B1 will not cut through nearly as well as the GK and MBX extension but it will have the foundation, lacking the midrange clarity.

james condino likes this.
  15. Mike Arnopol

Mike Arnopol Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 4, 2005
    Chicago
    Owner of MAS Soundworks
    Thanks for the mention, Don. Yes---the MAS45 was designed specifically with upright in mind.

I agree with Greg but choose to use different wording.

The most important element for me is the ENVELOPE . That's how the notes start and stop. For a jazz player---this is everything. You can manipulate tone through eq but not the envelope of the note. Some cabs do a pretty good job of starting the note---it's the stop of the note that's the hard part. Especially for upright. When you hit a note and stop it, if it runs into the next note---your function becomes a bunch of moosh. You pull harder to try to cut through and your right hand is killing you at the end of the night. I've played jazz upright for a living for most of my life.

Andy's cabs (Acme) are nicely designed cabs. For that price--run, don't walk.At that price you could buy three of them for the price of one of my cabs!

16. Anyone tried a Phil Jones Briefcase?? I have a chance to buy one locally for a great price. I'm worried it'll be too quiet for anything but acoustic gigs.

17. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Yes, people have tried them. Not to be snarky, but do a search. It will yield more real word information than will hoping that those same people happen upon this thread.

18. Thanks Troy. Yes I have searched already. Pretty exhaustively in fact. Lean pickings, many mixed opinions.

19. Tom Lane

Tom Lane Gold Supporting Member

What?!?!? *Mixed opinions* on TalkBass?!? Say it's NOT so! ;)

20. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Don't own a briefcase, but own three other PJB amps (CUB, Super Flightcase, and PB-300) and will likely add a regular Flightcase at some point. If you're worried about limitations of one of the PJB amps for gigs, then I would opt for the next bigger amp in the series. They sound terrific within their volume range, but those little amps with two small drivers (like the CUB I have) definitely have a ceiling. Keep your eyes peeled for a Flightcase if you like the PJB sound and want a more versatile amp - it's nearly as compact, 14 lbs lighter, a little more power and moves more air.

Groove Doctor and tombowlus like this.