1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Best effects for a bright sound

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by TechDeath, Aug 24, 2012.

1. TechDeath

TechDeath

May 16, 2012
    I have only been playing bass for about 5 months and have been really interested in steel strings and bright basses, I like how it cuts through the rest of the mix instead of being an undertone that with some musicians/artists/bands you can't hear at all.
    After listening to a song by Abiotic (http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YUJDnbGIyZk) I have wondered how I could get my bass to sound like his.
    I recently bought some DR Hi-Beams and wasn't at all impressed. I'm now going to buy some Roto 66's despite paying $40 dollars for the DR's.

What are some effects that would go Nicely with bright basses?

Btw I play on some ancient equipment. I have a 92 squier precision bass and have a Yamaha hundred 115B amp with only a distortion pedal

2. 4StringsEnough

4StringsEnough

Mar 9, 2008
    Try the Electro Harmonix Steel Leather. Great little pedal.

3. Well first of all you should check out the DR Fat Beams, I realllllly found those better than the Hi-Beams in many different areas, Marcus Miller designed them I think.. and I dont know what you think of as 'bright' but the Tech 21 VT bass does get a lot of love around these forums, I think it will have the ability the "brighten" up your tone like you want, check it out.

4. Nimu

Nimu

Jul 20, 2011
    try the mxr bass di or the sansamp bass driver.

5. TechDeath

TechDeath

May 16, 2012
    Thanks! That post really helped a lot. The problem with plucking near the neck is where do you rest your thumb?

6. On the edge of the neck like Geezer

7. I think (I don't really notice) I usually rest it on the end of the fretboard when playing the E and A strings and on the E string when playing the others. You could also try the floating thumb technique, I think there's a sticky about it in the Technique forum.
    John Entwistle for example has his hand in a slightly awkward position but it obviously worked for him, so I'd say spend a couple of minutes figuring out where and how the best tone comes from, and then find the most comfortable place for your thumb..

8. Bassmike62

Bassmike62 GAS resistance is utterly futile... Supporting Member

In terms of effect pedasl, if you're into chorus, the MXR Stereo Chorus is a relatively bright chorus and quite tweakable.

9. moles

moles

Jan 24, 2007
    Winnipeg, MB
    Just a thought, but an old solid state, single 15" combo might not be the best amp to coax a bright sound out of. Something a little more hi-fi might be in order...
    Having said that, something like a SansAmp Bass driver would probably work well for you to add brightness and some grind.

10. TechDeath

TechDeath

May 16, 2012
    Yes I have found its not good at playing higher strings no matter how I adjust it. Even playing in Drop A It doesn't sound too great, but that could just be the bass itself

11. Listened a couple times... Honestly sounds like he's playing through a guitar amp with the presence cranked lol. Cool stuff... Might have to try that sound with my 5 string for fun.

12. Just watched a couple videos.. Hard to tell but it looks like no pedals... He has a rack with what looks like an rbi and maybe a power amp or two?

13. TechDeath

TechDeath

May 16, 2012
    Yea dude its definitely a unique sound. But doesn't it break your guitar amp? My friend had a really nice 700 dollar amp and my buddy tried to play bass through it and it destroyed his amp.

14. TechDeath

TechDeath

May 16, 2012
    Yea it's definitely a unique sound. But doesn't playing bass through a guitar amp practically destroy it? My friend had a nice 700 dollar amp and my buddy tried to play bass on it and ruined his amp.

15. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    Get a 410 cab and a decent amp head. Better yet an 810 and an SVT or 1200 watt power amp and a SansAmp.

If you're looking for brutal dirt, Malenko Bassmaster or TAFM.

16. mark roberts

mark roberts Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2004
    Lawrence, KS
    I read the rest of the posts (to-date)...here's an answer...at the risk of starting something... A PICK. Use a pick for "brighter, cut-through the mix sound". Heavy pick like a 1.0mm. Start with a Dunlop "black" (not so "clicky"sounding"). Least expensive "effect" going! :)

17. TechDeath

TechDeath

May 16, 2012
    I do use a pick lol, I've learned that my .50 mm sounds much better than my Big Stubby 2.0 mm

18. well a lot of great albums have had bass running through a guitar amp. A sansamp or thumpinator would be a must IMO for subsonic filtering to protect the amp at high levels. Should be fine.

if it was me... I'd crank a sansamp with highs and some gain and if that isn't enough get a steel leather. Amp and cabs really dont matter much at that point.

19. Microtubes B3K

or

Tronographic Rusty Box.

Those two pedals are two of the brightest, grindiest I have ever heard. Longtime "bright growl" searcher here.

(add a Ric for extra bite:cool:)