1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Best Fender PJ value?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by chinjazz, Jan 1, 2012.

1. Hey Folks!

I have my complete fill on Jazz basses, and was starting to explore the idea of a 4 string PJ.
    I'm thinking either a new Fender or used, and while I've never been a P kind of guy, now that I'm swaying back to some of my rock roots a P makes sense. I'd really rather have a J neck with vintage size frets, so that brings to mind a Reggie Hamilton.

Anywhere from Squire to Fender would work budget wise. Im seeing quite a few PJ's on the fender site....Rosewood on the fretboard preferable.

I would rather go PJ because I'd rather not loose that bridge J... Although there are some great P pickups out there.

Any suggestions?

Thanks and Happy 2012!

2. Precision Deluxe Special, older passive model MIM

3. Fender jazz bass specials and fender lytes are the best values

4. NightTripper

NightTripper

Oct 20, 2011
    Squier VM Jaguar. Duncan-designed pickups and stacked volume/tone knobs, rosewood fretboard with block inlays. Looks pretty killer and from the reviews I've seen, is as good as a CV. I'm going to buy one myself in a couple days.

5. +1 on the Fender Jazz Bass Specials.

6. SwagAttack

SwagAttack

Sep 14, 2011
    Bay Area, CA
    The new Precision Deluxe's look legit. Awesome eq, active/passive switch, and N3 pus. The only thing is I am pretty sure it has a p-neck.

7. TC2112

TC2112 Supporting Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Parke County, Indiana
    there are always used Aerodynes in the classifieds. Mine gets a lot of use, and plays like a champ. Nice CIJ quality and not a ton of money

8. This all sounds good! I could probably do a P neck in a 4. I just don't like to chunky on the neck.

9. lowendblues

lowendblues Supporting Member

Oct 8, 2004
    Ohio
    Not a Fender, but the Schecter Model-T bass is killer.

10. Wow, I hadn't heard about Schecter in a while.
    I'll check it out. Is it a new or older model?

11. lowendblues

lowendblues Supporting Member

Oct 8, 2004
    Ohio
  12. I'm a died in the wool Fender guy; 3 jazz, 1 p. But my most recent fav is not a Fender but a ESP/LTD Vintage 204.

I was gassing for an ESP Vintage 4, but found this LTD modded to my liking ('Fender '62 p pickup, Seymour Duncan Vintage J, brass saddles, electrosocket jack, bridge cover with foam mutes, black with tort guard, all maple neck) and fell in love with it. It's currently my go to.

The vintage 4 is nice, but you can find the LTDS dirt cheap used. Haven't actually played a stock one, but mine is awesome with an amazing setup already. I was going to put flats on, but with the fresh rounds and great set-up, leaving as is for now. If the light relic thing doesn't bother you, give one a spin, you won't be disappointed.

13. has a P neck, but fwiw I love my MIA hot rodded P. See them used for good $$ from time to time.

14. matti777

matti777

Dec 13, 2007
    Edmonton, Canada
    I just traded in my newish MIM Fender Deluxe (passive P/J) which really was a decent bass. The guy said it would retail for just over $400. Its a pretty good bang for the buck IMHO and my new '57 isn't 3 times better by any stretch.

15. I'll take the MIM P Bass Special Dlx, active. Lotsa bass for the buck.

16. I forgot about ESP's also. Hmm... Some good stuff going on here :) Thanks guys!