Best flatwound strings for the G&L L2000

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Sands, Aug 8, 2017.

1. Sands

Sands

Dec 11, 2016
    What flatwound strings have you tried on the L2000 and what ere your results? I've tried TI flats and found them to be too much - too responsive. I didn't try adjusting PU or string height.

Not interested in roundwounds- they tear up the frets too fast.

2. Wow, talk about a gross misconception!

By the way, you should have this moved to "Strings" section.

Suncat and Aqualung60 like this.
  3. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Well what sort of sound are you looking for? Bright or thuddy?

4. Sands

Sands

Dec 11, 2016
    It's moved.

Gross misconception? Smooth on smooth vs serrated on smooth? You lost me.

physics likes this.
  5. Sands

Sands

Dec 11, 2016
    Looking for a well articulated note that is warm and growls.

6. Instead of being stuck with the idea of needing flats for the sake of protecting the frets, you should consider the GHS Pressurewounds. Easy on the frets, easy on your fingers, but they will still give you the tone you're looking for - "articulate, warm and growly".

dagrev and Sands like this.
  7. "Rounds tear up the frets too fast" = misconception.

dagrev, DaveAceofBass and Aqualung60 like this.
  8. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    Looking for instant gratification without the work to idealize the setup? :laugh:

Did you even bother adjusting the neck relief for the new and different strings compared to what was on there, originally? ;)

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  9. Sands

Sands

Dec 11, 2016
    Well sir I have done a lot of work in the area of coffee over the years. I recommend a cold brew, less acidic, easier on the gut and it just makes the day much more pleasant in all ways.

I simply figured the TIs were probably overkill on the L2000. Sure. Maybe that was too easy. It also saved a nice set of strings for another bass. It takes me a lot of trial and error to dial in relief to spec. The strings were not a good match with the tube amp I'm using. Very sensitive, slight variations in touch led to major changes in output. with a L2ooo I suspect sensitive strings are of no beneficial help.

Maybe someone can share their experiences here. Kind of the point of this forum, isn't it??. . .

Son of Wobble and Owen Bacon like this.
  10. I switched from rounds to D'Addario flatwound chromes over two years ago and have not had any issues with fret damage or blisters on my fingers at all. I love the chromes as they are sooooooo smooth and comfortable on my fingers plus they sound great. :thumbsup:

11. BassWaffle

BassWaffle

Apr 10, 2011
    DC/Maryland
    I really want to emphasize that roundwounds are not going to ruin your frets. Your tone goals might be satisfied by flats, but you shouldn't limit yourself to them. You might want to check out nickel roundwounds, they're pretty good at getting a growly warmth.

Sands, Aqualung60 and InhumanResource like this.
  12. lowfreqgeek

lowfreqgeek

Mar 15, 2010
    Tijeras, NM
    I find the TI's to be a GREAT match with my L2500 precisely because they are so responsive. The last thing I want is an unresponsive string or instrument. It's takes some effort over time to reign things in and learn how to play expressively and all that, but the end result is that you have far more control. I rarely use a compressor for the same reason.

If all you ever do is thrash around live, then I guess "responsive" and dynamic isn't for you. Personally, I play a lot of different styles and sounds, and I do a fair bit of studio work, so having excellent dynamic control is critical. The less time is spent compensating for my lack of dynamic control, the more studio work I get called for.

I haven't used a lot of flats on my G&L, but I'd say you want something very taught, rather than the looser feel of the TI's. Also, if you think the L2k is overly dynamic, get a compressor.

Sands likes this.
  13. Owen Bacon

Owen Bacon

Jul 27, 2015
    Oregon
    Sadowsky black labels are IMO the perfect flat. Not too dead, not too responsive. Tapewounds are always an option too if you want more articulate.

rodl2005, JES and Sands like this.
  14. InhumanResource

InhumanResource

Dec 28, 2012
    I've been playing rounds on a fretted bass since 2002 and everything still works fine. Probably looking at refret down the road, but not just yet.

Sands likes this.
  15. AcridSaint

AcridSaint ベーシスト Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2012
    Raleigh
    I don't play well.
    I was happy with D'Addario half-rounds on both of my L2Ks. Take it for whatever it's worth.

edencab and Sands like this.
  16. bass40hz

bass40hz Cigar smoker, scotch drinker, American Patriot

Aug 13, 2014
    Sussex County, NJ
    no endorsements yet...Are you listening Spector, DR, GK, Line6?
    Flats on an L2K...wow, ok to each his own, but I have to say that L2K is one of the greatest ROCK basses out there, I own a custom order and its my main gigging bass...I got flats on my P, but never on my L2K...the flats i do use are the Rotosound Steve Harris Signatures, they are awesome, if you have to put flats on an L2K, they would be a good choice, IMHO.

Sands and Pbassmanca like this.
  17. I, too, had chromes on my L2k for a year and thought they were fantastic.

But I switched to TI Powerbass because I wanted my L2k to sound like this:
    Pilot-ejects-from-F-18-jet-right-before-crash.gif

18. pbass2

pbass2

Jan 25, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Had Chromes on a L2500 and it was a killer combo FWIW. Only added to the versatility of that beast.
    Otherwise, I prefer Labellas, but at the the time my L2.5k was intended to be my "do it all" bass....

armybass and Sands like this.
  19. Pbassmanca

Pbassmanca In the pocket n' thumpy. So woody, so greasy...

I had a set of Rotosound Jazz 77 Monel flats ( .105 - .45) on my L2000 for atleast a couple years, and frankly they sounded incredibly good, especially with the neck pickup.

Sands likes this.
  20. Pbassmanca

Pbassmanca In the pocket n' thumpy. So woody, so greasy...

If I still had that bass, those strings would be right back on there!

Sands likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021