1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best Flatwound Strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by cv115505, Mar 1, 2013.

1. cv115505

cv115505 Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2012
    Pittsburgh
    MJC Ironworks
    I'm not typically a big fan of flatwounds, but I am wanting to try something different with my Precision. I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations for flats. I typically use DR High Beams which are also made in flats, but I am also curious about trying out Sadowsky Strings or any other bright sounding flats you guys can recommend.

Kombo likes this.
  2. MoeTown1986

MoeTown1986 Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2010
    SoMD (Mechanicsville)
    I have D'addario Chromes on both if my P's. they're SS strings so they still sound very bright for flats.

3. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Chromes- tried a few but they work for me.

4. bassdude51

bassdude51 "You never even called me by my name." Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2008
    Central Ohio
    There is no such thing as The Best Flat Wound Strings. You'll have to find what you like. Looking for bright? GHS Bright Flats.

5. Duckwater

Duckwater

May 10, 2010
    USA, Washington
    Chromes, Fenders, Sadowsky's, TIs, Roto 77s, Ernie Balls. All bright sounding flats.

6. Laurent

Laurent Supporting Member

May 21, 2008
    Napa, California
    Ernie Ball Flatwound Group II have been my favorite for a long time.
    Thomastick are very good too but their price is outreageous.

7. TI Flats are those who did it for me. Never get tired of recommending them :)

interp likes this.
  8. Chromes were the first and only flat I've tried. I like them so much that I haven't felt the need to try anything else.....yet.

Bassist4 likes this.
  9. 4-string

4-string

Jul 23, 2006
    Norway
    +1. :)

10. billgwx

billgwx

Apr 10, 2009
    Centereach NY
    Over the past year I experimented with a few different types of flats: D'Addario Chromes, LaBella Deep Talkin' 760FL's, D'Addario Nylon Tapewounds, and RotoSound Jazz Bass 77's.

On my Jazz bass, I liked the sound of Chromes best. They let the typical J sound stand out best of the bunch--the tapes and Rotos took away too much of that, and I found the La Bellas to be too muddy for a J.

On my P-bass, I liked the D'Addario tapes best, once again because they really seemed to bring out the best of the P sound combined with a nice woodiness, followed by the La Bella 760FL's, which were thumpmasters. I really disliked the overbearing midrange of the Chromes, especially when brand new, and even when broken in. The Rotos were interesting--almost as bright-sounding as rounds for slapping, but that was not the sound I was shooting for on the P.

The above is what worked for me--YMMV as they say.

punchdrunk and Danpirvine like this.
  11. Shane Carter

Shane Carter

May 21, 2007
    Detroit
    Taking the Rotos off and trying TI's on the Fender Deluxe 5. I hope all the TI hype here on TB is right.

12. f.c.geil

f.c.geil

May 12, 2011
    For the tone you're describing, I'd try Sadowsky Black Label flats in light gauge. They are an amazing string.

13. bassfootballguy

bassfootballguy Spectacularly Average Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    A small, small town
    The best ones are the ones that you feel have the best combination of tone, playability and value for your given circumstance.
    If you can swing the $ I would start with TI jazz flats and if they don't tickle your tone bone, you can recover some of the $ and try others.
    Enjoy yourself.

14. f.c.geil

f.c.geil

May 12, 2011
    That's true of any string, though. Funny thing about TIs, I love them on other people's basses, but they always sound like Sh!t on mine.

Matt R likes this.
  15. sigmafloyd

sigmafloyd

May 1, 2011
    You will probably need a truss rod adjustment after that, those are on opposite ends of the tension spectrum.

16. coldwar1977

coldwar1977

Aug 1, 2012
    Belgium
    D'Addario Chromes for sure ! ! !
    They're pretty bright for flatwounds, but they have good thump and lack the harsh metallic overtones of rounds.
    And they feel fantastic. No more unwanted finger noise!

By the way, flatwound strings and P-basses are a match made in heaven :)

physics likes this.
  17. I like La Bella 760FM's for the thump and I like the TI's for the mid range punch. Only other flats I have tried were Ernie Balls not bad, but didn't really have much character. After trying the two I'm sticking with, I'm happy enough to not have to experiment anymore on other strings :)

18. Sni77

Sni77

Aug 23, 2012
    Vienna, Austria
    I just tried TI flats and I am really happy with them. Price seems okay to me, but then again I bought them in Vienna, where they are made. I guess they get expensive in the US.

19. precisioner

precisioner

Apr 5, 2013
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6R2LOXMqyg8

This comparison video gives a very good idea, I personally prefer the Rotosound for tighter and aggressive music, sounds so great while doing palm mute. Laballa gives very warm fat sound! love them both

Mike_1978 and chuck norriss like this.
  20. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

Dec 21, 2012
    +1