1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Best over drive pedal under $200?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by lolmont, Mar 8, 2013.

1. lolmont

lolmont

Jan 2, 2013
    Brooklyn, NY
    I was looking at at MP Blueberry, but thought I'd ask for other opinions. Maybe get some links to other pedals thanks. :help:

2. My wife got me a Black Cat OD/Fuzz combo for Christmas. 180 shipped, never been happier with a drive ever!

3. I really like my Fuzzrocious Oh See Demon. Really really like it.

4. lolmont

lolmont

Jan 2, 2013
    Brooklyn, NY
    Just visited the site the test clips on there sounded pretty nice.

5. +1 to the OSD. If you need something more transparent then my recommendation is the Fairfield Barbershop.

6. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Don't overlook the Hardwire Tube Overdrive CM-2, which is a PHENOMENAL overdrive pedal for $100 new. Usually around $50 used.

7. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger Commercial User

Sep 22, 2005
    Not Mars
    The Overlord of Nordstrand Pickups
    Dredge-Tone Angler if you seek biting OD.

Best deal around now that they are back.

8. BrandonBass

BrandonBass

May 29, 2006
    if you like warm tubey overdrive the MP blueberry is awesome. It can go into heavy distortion territory but it really shines at the low gain settings.

9. The JHS Low Drive is pretty versatile. You can occasionally find them new for less than $200. I've heard good things about the VFE Pale Horse. I did just see a barbershop in the classified section going for $120.

10. Swift713

Swift713

Dec 4, 2006
    Florence, Ma
    Overdrive is a pretty broad category. Are you looking for subtle tube amp-esque break up or more high gain drive? Do you want something that colors your sound or something more transparent?

11. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Since you asked I'm going to butt in, apologies, as I too am looking for that perfect OD. I'm looking a really warm tubey sounding OD that colors my tone, not make it disappear when I engage it. I just picked up a sansamp VT bass pedal and it is quite awesome. I'd like to know what others are setting theirs at. I also have the BDDI and I'm sorta diggin the sound of the VT more right now. I'm still keeping the BDDI on my board at the end of the chain though. Just in case I may need a DI. Or in fact want to use it in unison with the VT.

12. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    I also use the fulltone OCD btw

13. arthur31686

arthur31686 Supporting Member

Mar 7, 2011
    A clone of the fulltone OCD is working wonders for me.

14. erigod23

erigod23

Mar 19, 2007
    Fredericton, NB
    No doubt it is the SS/BS Mini.

15. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    I can't say that the OCD is my dream dist, but I can say this, of all the dist/OD I've ever tried this is the one that has come closest to the way I'd like my distorted sound to come through in the mix in a live setting. And it actually does shine through a bit. Most pedals I've tried can't be heard through the band. My bottom end is still there but the dist is lost as well as my high ends and higher notes.

16. The Mouse

The Mouse

Jun 2, 2009
    Ireland
    If it's cheap n cheerful you're looking for, I recommend the Ibanez PD7 Phat Hed. Inexpensive and easy to get a tone to your liking. Tons of top and bottom end. I've had mine for years.

17. gidbass

gidbass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    I like the aggie agro. Can do mild to tear your face off.

Good Luck!

18. lolmont

lolmont

Jan 2, 2013
    Brooklyn, NY
    Thanks for all the input guys, listened to demos of all of the recommended pedals. Torn between the blueberry or OSD. I really like the blueberries lows but the OSD highs I prefer gonna be a few days of thinking.

19. The MXR M80 preamp has a pretty good overdrive/distortion. At first I wasn't too keen on it but once you get used to how it should be set for your sound it's great. Cuts right through the mix perfectly.

20. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    The incoming brand spanking new EBS Billy Sheehan signature drive pedal at a smidgen under 200 notes might be worth checking out. Some neat innovative features, but not a lot of demos out there just yet.