1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

best pick to use on a bass

Discussion in 'Accessories [BG]' started by skinzz, Aug 12, 2008.

1. skinzz

skinzz

Aug 7, 2008
    London uk
    hi can someone tell me whats the best type of pick to use on a bass guitar, i have a hofner violin bass which i just recently bought to learn to play, just can get the hang of the finger thing!!! the bloke in the guitar shop gave me a few 2mm plastic ones, are these any good, i heard that felt 1's are good for basses

2. I use the Green Tortex. You are going to opinions here. Picks are cheap, buy a bunch.

ppiluk likes this.
  3. paganjack

paganjack

Dec 25, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    dunlop big stubbys: i use a 1mm or 2mm sometimes- i think the 2mm is better for bass. they have a nice little groove for your fingers

staurosjohn likes this.
  4. skinzz

skinzz

Aug 7, 2008
    London uk
    and also what grade, thanks

5. lowtide

lowtide Commercial User

Oct 14, 2006
    Bradenton, Florida
    Owner: Buzzard's Bass Shop
    I have some polished stones that come in handy

6. Rocinante_x1

Rocinante_x1 Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose Gold Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
    Washington State
    .88mm

7. BassBob185

BassBob185

Oct 25, 2007
    Rocking Chair
    When I use a pick........I've tried all thicknesses and always go back to the plain ole Fender heavy.

I also like the grey Jim Dunlop .88mm and the Tortex yellow.

For reference:
    Fender picks seem to vary but generally here are the thicknesses
    Thin .45- .48
    Med .55 - .78
    Heavy .85 - 1.06
    Extra Heavy 1.15 - 1.25

8. Doodaddy

Doodaddy

Jan 11, 2005
    West Monroe, LA
    Green Tortex for me too.

9. ErebusBass

ErebusBass

Feb 20, 2008
    Madison, WI
    I use 1mm Dunlop nylons. Thinking about going back to the 1.5 gator grips though. There is no single best pick for the bass, or any instrument.

10. Pet Politics

Pet Politics My real name is Michael, but how exciting is that?

Nov 14, 2007
    Burbank, CA
    +1 to Dunlop Tortex. If I use a pick it's the Yellow tortex.

Any of those hard plastic picks are too brittle for me and usually end up broken. I probably have 20 of the tortex picks but it seems like I've been using the same one for years.

11. zbasstringer

zbasstringer

Jun 24, 2008
    St. Louis
    I use a 3mm big stubby pick. I guess thats a bit big?:bag:

12. I use dunlop delrin ones, the 2mm and .76mm for different things.

13. Ampeg SVT

Ampeg SVT Son, I am disappoint.

Sep 9, 2006
    I use .73 and .88 nylond dunlops

I also use Herco Medium thumbpicks.

Generally a lighter (thinner) pick will give a really trebly sound while a heavier (thicker) pick is not as bright and a little more deep sounding

14. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    +1

15. CPplaysBASS

CPplaysBASS

Mar 17, 2007
    Ontario
    Green Tortex .88mm as well .... thick enough for nice attack without the "click" noise and just enough give to dig in when required.

16. scuz

scuz You can't be angry ALL the time!

Mar 24, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    The .88MM version of these. They will change your LIFE. Not kidding. They NEVER break, and they actually sound different. Don't ask me how, it's some space-age thing that we pick players just won't ever understand :smug:

17. Qvist

Qvist

Jul 20, 2007
    Denmark
    I think the .73 mm nylon dunlops are pretty good for rock bass. You can play pretty fast without too much resistance!

18. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    I use Fender Medium triangular picks. They have a nice big gripping surface and you have multiple points in case you break one.

Deak and lowplaces like this.
  19. Connor

Connor

Jun 21, 2007
    Jawjuh
    green is good(the blue is thicker than the green, and the purple is thicker than the blue (i think))any of those would be fine. the better you get with a pick, the pick wont really matter as long as it's not too thin. plastic picks have a sharp twangy kind of tone though.

felt picks are warmer with more thump, better for reggae. try out both.

20. CopperState

CopperState

May 18, 2008
    I like a large pick with a lot of give, so I usually grab these in a .63 guage:

[​IMG]

Edit: Plus, they always come from the factory with a light convex bend to them, which is useful for an angled pick attack. And they're really easy to find on a dark stage floor after I toss them in god-knows-what direction.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 6, 2021