1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

best pickguard for a black p bass...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by omoxrawr, Sep 12, 2008.

1. omoxrawr

omoxrawr

Mar 23, 2008
    what do you guys think? I currently have black on black.. .if you guys have any pics post them!

2. Kingskippy2001

Kingskippy2001

Aug 12, 2008
    Ohio
    Depends on what your into, but I saw a black Fender with a polished diamond plate pickgaurd. Black and Chrome!! Just like a awsome muscle car or a bada** semi truck.

3. nemo

nemo

Mar 19, 2004
    Czech
  4. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    you could go the Phil Lynott route and get the mirror pg. hotness.

5. A tortoise shell pickguard with strong red highlights is a classic on a black bass, of course; but I've actually always preferred the tortoise shell with strong yellow and brown highlights. Gold anodized is cool as well.

Having said that, I must also admit that nemo's pic with the black abalone is pretty spectacular! (I wonder how hard it would be to get matching fretboard dots?)

Bluesy Soul :cool:

6. Thump Jr.

Thump Jr.

Jun 8, 2008
    SW FL
    Black on black's hard to beat IMO, especially with a black/white/black pickguard so you just get the white outline. Very classy. Were it my bass, I don't think I'd mess with it.

7. Anonymous Guy

Anonymous Guy

Jul 28, 2008
    I currently have pearloid on black, which looks pretty spiffy.

8. black

blackfender.

Most people will say tort, but I don't like tort, it's too flashy for my taste.

9. gibsonbassist45

gibsonbassist45

Jul 13, 2008
    id stay with black on black. but if you get a while hair just paint it some crazy color like orange or something

10. cripula

cripula

Dec 20, 2006
    Canada
    I like mint, especially with rosewood:
    2494191742_cb692a71b2_b.

or W/B/W with maple:
    2494191384_edfbed2582_b.

b/w/b is classic too.

11. lowtide

lowtide Commercial User

Oct 14, 2006
    Bradenton, Florida
    Owner: Buzzard's Bass Shop
    That black abalone is killer. I wonder what the shipping is from Australia to the US.

12. bassicsax

bassicsax

Jul 29, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    I like the red tort on a black bass...

13. BillMason

BillMason Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2007
    I like tort if it is a rosewood neck, black/white/black if it is a maple guard. The white on black looks too plain. I tried tort on mine (maple neck) and ended up taking it off in favour of the black one.

14. BillMason

Mar 6, 2007
    Here's an older bass with rosewood that I no longer have.

15. Energy

Energy

Jun 20, 2006
    Germany
    3-ply black is what I like best. And not only me - my room mate likes it also:

2849819567_422cc16070_o.

16. jetofuj

jetofuj

Jun 16, 2008
    PL
    GOLD, GOLD, GOLD ;)

17. DanielleMuscato

DanielleMuscato

Jun 19, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri, USA
    Endorsing Artist, Schroeder Cabinets
    I'm with Bill; red tort on black with a rosewood board. I don't like maple boards, so I don't really have an opinion there :bassist:

18. Hoover

Hoover Banned

Nov 2, 2007
    New York City

Yeah, that's a pretty good looking combination.

For all the guys who said "black on black", have you ever seen a clear lucite pickguard on a black bass? That's pretty keen too.

19. BillMason

Mar 6, 2007
    Meh - in that case (with no open body cavities under the lucite) I'd likely prefer no pickguard at all.

20. Hoover

Hoover Banned

Nov 2, 2007
    New York City
    Yeah, now that I think about it, I've only every seen the lucite pickguards on basses w/ a metal control plate covering the guts (eg. Jazz Bass). Okay, nevermind.