1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Best universal fit IEMs???

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by JCRob, Aug 3, 2012.

1. JCRob

JCRob

Sep 14, 2010
    OK guys, I couldn't find an updated thread about universal fit IEMs, so mods feel free to point me out in the right direction if I'm wrong...

Which are the best?? I've come across a couple of websites that talk about EarSonics SM3 V2, Westone W4 and UM3X / UM3X RC, some Monster Cable, etc...

As a bassist I'm looking for the best sound money can buy in that realm, without getting into the custom fits.

Any inputs will be appreciated.

Thanks

2. Keithwah

Keithwah

Jan 7, 2011
    Milwaukee WI
    Ultimate Ears Triple Fi 10's. Get them on Amazon or eBay for under $200. They are three way buds and are the only non custom bud I've used that really reproduce the 5 string and the kick with manliness. I bought mine as open box deal on eBay. Then I bought my back up pair on Amazon. Both were open box deals, no issues. They are not petite buds, they are big, but they so do the job.

There are many UE Triple Fi fans here on TB!

3. JCRob

JCRob

Sep 14, 2010
    Great to know! I just searched them up in amazon, and looks like a great deal. The only thing is that I bumped into the PROs, and now I wanna know if there's a huge difference!!!! At least there's in price...
    Thanks for chimming in!

4. JCRob

JCRob

Sep 14, 2010
    Also, how do they sound compared to the Westones UM3X or other alike?? These are the only ones I've tried.

5. Keithwah

Keithwah

Jan 7, 2011
    Milwaukee WI
    No clue between the Westones and the UE's, but the UE's were recommended by a pro monitor engineer buddy who got them from the guys in Nickelback (when he was working on the road running their wireless rig) who uses them. The one thing I found was that they reproduce low end so well, they have inexpensive replacement cables and that when used with Comply foam inserts, seal the planet off. Being that a large number of touring pros are using them, let's just say that they could have been using Westones but weren't.

As most Triple Fi users will attest, the next move from a Triple Fi is to go with custom molds. But honestly, my guitarist had Alien Ear triple driver customs and now uses the UE Triple Fi's because they sound that much better.

6. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    my westone UM3Xs smoked the older UE super fi5s i had, in terms of balance, natural high end (and staying in my damn ears). haven't heard the newer UE stuff.

my bass player really likes the new triple-driver shure 535s.

7. 1954bassman

1954bassman

Jun 7, 2004
    Hickory, NC
    I use Future Sonics with Comply foams. They are a single driver design, and they work great for me. Plenty of bottom end for me, in fact the kick drum vibrates my chest cavity. Never tried three-ways, but a lot of guys on TB say single drivers work just as well.

8. SubNoizeRat3691

SubNoizeRat3691 Lovin' the lows Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2010
    Davenport, IA
    I have a pair of M-Audio IE-30's that do an amazing job with the 5 string and kick tones. they are only dual driver buds though...

9. SubNoizeRat3691

SubNoizeRat3691 Lovin' the lows Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2010
    Davenport, IA
    Comply foams are the way to go with whatever you choose to get, they make good universal buds sound and fit better, imho

10. JCRob

JCRob

Sep 14, 2010
    Yeah, maybe the TF10 are the best buy in price/quality ratio. Do they come with the comply foams, or you have to purchase separately?

11. Keithwah

Keithwah

Jan 7, 2011
    Milwaukee WI
    They do come with one pair. I think it's either the medium or large foam tips. I ordered some smalls from comply or amazon, about $16 or so for a set of three. The ones that came with we're very snug on me but really sealed out the stage almost completely. I liked the smalls better as they were snug enough. But weird how those dopey foam tips just waste the double and triple flange ear tips. I have some Audio Technica EP-3's which were the single drivers that came with my AT IEM system and as bummed as I was using them for bass use, they actually sound great with comply's and my MP3 player. So I still think a good set of single drivers is fine for general purpose, I just don't think you'll find a set that handles the bottom end off the shelf like the UE's.

12. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    i wish i hadn't bothered buying single-driver IEMs first, they were OK but not even close to the double drivers that quickly replaced them. buying too cheap is false economy.

13. JCRob

JCRob

Sep 14, 2010
    Yeah... I guess a universal triple driver is the way to go.

14. JCRob

JCRob

Sep 14, 2010
    I tried the UM3X with foam, and must say they sounded very good. Although, is a safer bet to go with a pair that is at least a hundred less, and that has great reviews like the Triplefis.

15. rashbeep

rashbeep Supporting Member

Jul 15, 2005
    Toronto, ON
    i have the triple.fi's and they are very good. there are better options out there from westone, etc but these can be found for pretty cheap now ($150) and for that price there really isn't much competition. a few things to note op, the ear pieces are very large and if you don't have large canals, you may have a problem. also, do yourself a favour and get some comply foam tips as the tips provided are garbage.

16. JCRob

JCRob

Sep 14, 2010
    Once I get a pair off eBay, I'll get the comply foams immediately!!!

Thanks for your input.

17. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Aug 12, 2005
    Willow Street, PA
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    I'm another Triplefi 10 user. Got mine off Amazon, I think around $175.

18. JCRob

JCRob

Sep 14, 2010
    Great to know!

Also, would someone recommend a specific foam package, kind of similar to the ones that come with the UM3X?

19. JCRob

JCRob

Sep 14, 2010
    GOT mine for 159.99 !! Will get them tomorrow!!

Is it necessary to burn them in?

20. rashbeep

rashbeep Supporting Member

Jul 15, 2005
    Toronto, ON
    you'll find differing opinions on the subject, personally i did not find much change in the sound after using them for a while.