Best warm sounding bass for recording? P vs J

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Simon Nyberg, Apr 8, 2020.

1. Simon Nyberg

Simon Nyberg

Mar 30, 2020
    Sweden
    Hi!

I'm new here on the forum and thought I'd drop a question I've been having for some time.

I have been playing bass for a while and I'm currently looking to get a better bass. At the moment I play a jaguar short scale from squier with EMG pups. I like it a lot but I can't really get the professional feel out of it (compared to my friends' higher end basses.) Also I want to get a long scale.

I will primeraly use it for recording as I'm also studying music production and is recording music with my band. Our music is best described as "slick" pop/rock music with an edge of electronic music on some tracks. Our songs are really "tight" and the bass is really "subby". Now I'm not sure if I should get a jazz bass or a p bass. I enjoy the P sound but sometimes I'm looking for a more hi-fi (still a lot of low end) type of sound. I guess you could say I want my bass to sound a bit like a sub bass preset in a plugin.

What are your thoughts? I know the P bass is known for it's really warm sound. I also know the jazz is considered more "hi-fi"

I understand this might sound a bit complicated but I'm not sure how to explain the sound I'm looking for.

Angus Walker, BLDavis and jamro217 like this.
  2. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    A Jazz would be able to get a more convincing P like sound, so IMO it could be considered more versatile.

BLDavis and Simon Nyberg like this.
  3. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    Neither. I'd go with a G&L Tribute L-2000. Lots of tonal versatility.

4. Simon Nyberg

Simon Nyberg

Mar 30, 2020
    Sweden
    Yeah! I figured. Would you say a p-bass or a jazz have got more low-end? Not like low mids, I mean the real sub.

5. Simon Nyberg

Simon Nyberg

Mar 30, 2020
    Sweden
    Thanks I'll check that out!

6. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    J bass IMO, but it's certainly nothing some EQ can't fix.

MonetBass, GroovyBaby and shojii like this.
  7. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

you can't do any better for "warm" than a black, unlined fretless PJ with a blend pot and TI jazz rounds. burst works too...in a pinch. :D

i know you're not chasing tones, so: good luck! :thumbsup:

Angus Walker likes this.
  8. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Plenty of people will say you can't beat a P bass, and it's a better choice for you than the Jazz, but believe me, don't get hung up on choosing between the two.
    Expand your horizons!
    I'm going to suggest you try out one of these.
    G&L L2000...Leo's best!
    2019-gl-l2000-ruby-red-metallic-Pece8-M0.jpg

Aqualung60, GroovyBaby and nFinnyD like this.
  9. shojii

shojii

Sep 7, 2011
    +1, look at what shows up when you type 'Reggae Bass' into a google image search.

Dave W likes this.
  10. J bass has more deep lows. P is more about mids. J gets the slick sound. P is old school. I prefer P but J might be better for what you're doing.

Angus Walker, Nedmundo and GroovyBaby like this.
  11. 4andnomore

4andnomore Supporting Member

Nov 14, 2008
    Just get a p-bass. :)

Angus Walker and Kukulkan61 like this.
  12. Simon Nyberg

Simon Nyberg

Mar 30, 2020
    Sweden
    I'm not speaking English as my first language so I'm just gonna pretend like I didn't get the sarcasm.
    Of course I'm looking for tones. Specifically I'm looking for a bass with lots of low end, which would fit in modern music. Also I need a tone that is very clean and doesn't give me a lot of growl or whatever you'd call it.
    Feel free to leave to give me your opinions. The only reason I'm asking between jazz and p is because that's really all I know when it comes to gear.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
  13. Simon Nyberg

Simon Nyberg

Mar 30, 2020
    Sweden
    Thanks! Someone else suggested the G&L and I had a look. I like the concept of it. Sadly I will probably not be able to try it out physically as I'm living in a really small town in Sweden, and honestly I haven't even seen a G&L bass in even Stockholm... Guess I'll have to listen to a lot of recordings with it.

Aqualung60 and jd56hawk like this.
  14. Simon Nyberg

Simon Nyberg

Mar 30, 2020
    Sweden
    Thanks! Of course. In the studio I work with lots of EQ. When playing live I feel like it's a bit stressful to go and turn the eq know on my amp however, you think an active bass could be a great idea for more hands on control?

Dave W likes this.
  15. Simon Nyberg

Simon Nyberg

Mar 30, 2020
    Sweden
    This was the answer I was looking for.
    I love the P bass sound too. My current bass has a PJ setup, and I solo the P a lot when playing the more old-school stuff. I like it in rock a lot too. But as you said, a more slick sound is what I'm looking for when working with my current band and the music we make.
    Thanks!

David Jayne likes this.
  16. dramatwist

dramatwist

Sep 27, 2019
    ...best of luck, Simon...

17. onestone

onestone

Jan 18, 2013
    This. I'd say my active Reggie Hamilton P/J would get quite close to what i assume you're looking for. You're welcome to try it out over in Finland when the borders open again :)

18. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    It sounds like you’re after something fairly specific. My guess is there’s more than one way to get there tonally. I’d recommend following your gut/core feeling.....it’s usually correct even when it’s wrong.

onestone likes this.
  19. steveinohio

steveinohio

May 27, 2007
    Your going to have to play/record with a few to find out what works best for you. You can EQ just about anything in the studio. Finding your fundamental sound is going be the hard part. That was the issue I had for a while.

Bassdirty likes this.
  20. Simon Nyberg

Simon Nyberg

Mar 30, 2020
    Sweden
    Thanks. I'll check that bass out! Let me know!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021