Best way to run 2 basses through one amp

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by TheVoiceless, Mar 22, 2011.

1. TheVoiceless

TheVoiceless

Jun 11, 2008
    New Jersey
    Hey TB,

Looking for some direction on the best way to run two basses through one amp. I have a Lakland 5502 with a maple board/neck and an Ibanez ( which I believe is a SR series from the 90's, I will be looking up the serial number from home) with dark woods and a completely different tone. And I would like to seamlessly switch basses between songs using one amp.

From what I can tell there are two ways. I can get an amp with two channels ( or one with multiple EQ settings ) or I can get a AB switch.

What would you suggest?

2. prd004

prd004

Dec 3, 2010
    Radial Bassbone

3. StuartV

StuartV Finally figuring out what I really like Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    Or you can get a wireless rig and an extra transmitter.

4. tdub0199

tdub0199

Mar 4, 2010
    Atlanta, Ga.
    VT Bass Deluxe...

5. I use an AB box and an EQ pedal on one channel to even up EQ and volume.

The bass that gets the EQ is usually fretless or upright, where I am rolling frequencies off compared to fretted.

6. I run an A/B switch to go between my electric and my EUB. My amp (Carvin BX1200) has a footswitch to turn on and off a Graphic EQ in the amp, so it's 2 foot clicks and I'm good to go.

An A/B with pedals in front of it will work as well!

7. +1

I just hit my tuner pedal to mute, unplug transmitter, and flip basses in under 15 seconds...

8. Small mixing board works for me. I often run 2 or 3 basses into one amp input. I use a Behringer that cost around $50 at Guitar Center.

9. I like a small mixing board for this purpose too. My choice is the Allen and Heath ZED 10fx because channels 3 and 4 have hi-z inputs for passive instruments. With a mixer all of your eq and levels are adjusted and your instruments are plugged in and ready to go. My second choice would be an a/b switch with a pedal EQ on one channel for leveling purposes.

10. viper4000

viper4000

Aug 17, 2010
    Charlotte
    I say VT Deluxe or Radial Bassbone. If you don't need the presets or coloring that the VT provides, then go with the Bassbone. The Bassbone has a clean/flat channel and a channel that can be EQ'd. On the VTD, all channels can be EQ'd and colored by the drive and character knobs. The VTD can be powered by the mixer if it has phantom power. Bassbone cannot. I like them both for what they offer.

I have and use both depending on the gig and set list.

11. jiyang71

jiyang71

Sep 1, 2010
    EBS Micro Bass II has two channels.

12. amimbari

amimbari

May 6, 2008
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I also use a rack mixer in my rig so 2 basses into one amp or a combination of anything in between up to 14 channels into a 2 channel amp. ( 2 channels on the mixer are used for effects blending )

13. TheVoiceless

TheVoiceless

Jun 11, 2008
    New Jersey
    WOW!! I knew that there were a few options. I have not considered the mixing board before. And so far no one has said a 2 channel head.

Thanks for the very good information.

14. Planet Waves cable with the kill switch (do they still make those?).

Tuner as master mute.

Otherwise you're just adding more crap to carry, more cables to fail/get twisted up/etc...

15. john_g

john_g Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    I have a Radial Bassbone and I do like it, but I use my Boss LS-2 more. I have my main four string running through one loop, then my fiver through the other. Easy switching and cheap.

16. If you had a 2 channel head, you wouldn't be asking!:p

17. TheVoiceless

TheVoiceless

Jun 11, 2008
    New Jersey
    Well I am looking for some tone shaping options also. So the Bassbone looks like a good option for what I am looking to do.

18. TheVoiceless

TheVoiceless

Jun 11, 2008
    New Jersey
    This is true :)

But so far I don't see anyone going that route.

19. treekiller

treekiller

Mar 4, 2010
    Iowa
    Ok, I use a G-K 550 Fusion head with two separate channels. The footswitch not only changes channels, but has a tuner mute so I change basses silently. I have one channel set up with a bit of dirt for my P-Basses and the other channel is set fairly clean. Since I will soon be using a Jazz as well, this will hopefully make it easy to have the best of both worlds. :bassist:

20. TheVoiceless

TheVoiceless

Jun 11, 2008
    New Jersey
    Nice, that is the head I was looking at. Plus I would like the tube pre sound also. But this is the expensive solution. Which is my first choice of course, but there are some really good suggestions coming through.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 30, 2021