Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Big Rant: Racist Attack

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Vince S., Jan 12, 2004.

1. Vince S.

Vince S. Resident Former Bassist

Jan 24, 2003
    Wow, I cannot even begin to describe how angry I am right now.

So it all started on the bus ride home from school. Today was midterms day, schedules all messed up, and I got less than six hours of sleep last night, so obviously Im already not in the best of moods.

I'm sitting in the back of the bus, which is new because I usually am towards the middle. Anyway, these four kids, two of whom were already there before, kind of "grouped up" around where I was sitting. They started talking about some girl and her boyfriend, who they were making fun of by calling him "chester the molester." Then one of the kids said "I wonder who that is" to "set up" the attack. Then, one of the kids pointed at me, and thats when it all started.

Another one of the kids said "oh you should punch him for doing that", but really, he was using that so if I did hit the kid, it would give the rest of them an excuse to physically attack me. Then the rest of the kids let loose with the racist BS, saying things like "all chinese kids were molested as children" (I dont even know how he came up with that) or "why are all you f***ing ch**ks so f***ing weak?" And those were the mildest insults. The others I am not even going to repeat here.

The most unbelievable part is that one of the kids is in my police explorers post. He was not really a friend, but he was decent, until today. The other kids were a random kid on the bus, my "punk rawker" neighbor, and a loud-mouthed freshman girl, whom I've had the impression hated me for some reason for a while because she's always glaring at me.

What surprised me the most is that I have heard the freshman girl yelling at another kid on a different day because he used the word "fag" and "gay" in a derogatory sense. So according to her, its wrong to bash gays, but right to be racist. She was really the ringleader in all this, and what angers me the most is I cannot do anything about this. If she were a guy, I would've most likely hit her, or at least said something. I just sat there and tried to ignore it.

I can't believe the way some people are, so shallow and ignorant. Even though I did not do anything about it, and just sat there and took it, I feel like I regret not doing anything. Some people are just ***holes.

Then afterwards, my neighbor, one of the kids involved, had the nerve after getting off the bus to ask me if I had a lighter so he could smoke his weed. I wanted to floor him.

It's been a rough day.

Thanks for listening.

Vince

2. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I'm sorry you went through that. I know EXACTLY how you feel, being a black guy. It's amazing that people swear that humans have evolved, but yet, as a whole, we're still as dumb as a bag of hammers.

3. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Hey, evolution works in reverse. These yokels prove it.

Know what's funny? I got Taliban/Osama/Terrorist crap right after 9/11, because of my beard. Funny thing?

I'm white.

People are just that dumb.

4. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    lol
    knowing both of you personally......

i'd whoop some ass for ya!
    lol

5. School is such a negative enviorment for children...

I hate bullys...I want to kill them all.

6. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i get crap for being Mexican-Italian American and i live in San Antonio - you can't escape from stupid people.

sorry this had to happen to you, but you know what - it builds character - the fact that you didn't start crap goes to show that you are, by far, the better person.

best wishes
    :(

7. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Your day will come, Vince. Keep your grades up and your goals high. And after college you will be deciding whether neanderthals, as you have described, will/won't have a job any longer. You will be in "the driver's seat."

Believe me, I know - muscles and size don't count for anything after high school.

8. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Hey, Jon, would ya do me a favor? Capitalize your wife and daughter's names. If yer gonna partially mis-quote me, do it properly, eh?

:)

9. Giving in and starting a fight would only pass some of the blame onto you. I know it's easier said than done, but the best way to go is to go to some authority and report this. Even the bus driver should have done something. there's no way a group of kids can surround another and bash him openly without the driver noticing. he'd have to be blind, and then he (probably) wouldn't have a licence.

sometimes i'm ashamed to be a white guy.

10. Couldn't have said it better......

11. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    "muscles and size don't count for anything after high school."

wrong.....muscle and size paid for my college education......got me a good job for as well.

-Mike

12. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    So true. :(

13. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Yep, that use of the English language will keep you employed on the loading dock at the factory for years. :rolleyes:

Thanks for proving my point.

14. Sorry to hear that. If I saw a group being racist and I know that person did nothing wrong, I would speek up. It is downright wrong to make fun of anyone because of race. I'm glad you were able to keep your cool.

Some guy kept touching me and my friend today with his feet, then tapped my crotch. I actually had the sense to tell the teacher instead of punching him in the %$^&%#*% face. I could have made fun of him for being Egyptian (I'd call him a Egypto if I was gonna say something) but instead I replaced his name with "guy". I can't even defend myself in this school. If you are involved in a a fight, even if you DIDN'T HIT BACK AND ONLY DEFENDED, you still get 10 days suspention. My new goal is to learn Ju Jitsu(sp?).

15. ugh

racism is just another form of stupidity that plagues way too many humans. :mad:

16. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Last weekend I played a show in Houston and my younger sister (who's 34) came out to the show along with her husband and some friends. They were so patently rude and obnoxious that I wound up having to apologize to the soundman and members of the other band playing that night.

That doesn't have anything to do with the racist remarks you endured, I know, but it is sad when you can find such utter stupidity so close at hand - even on the closest branch of your own family tree.

I'm sorry that you had to deal with that. Know that for every idiot like this that you encounter, there's a brother or sister or parent or cousin who's ashamed of that person's behavior.

17. this prove that people suck. i kinda whished i was there, i would have walked over and said "hey, i'm jewish you got anythign to say to me" (even though i'm not jewish) and then would ahve either enjoyed seeing thoses morons walk away or putting my steel toed boots into their chests

18. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    LOL! I laughed so hard, that I had tears in my eyes! Thanks!

19. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I neveer have understood racism. Prejudice sure, against people that you have established a reason to dislike, I get that. But just because of their race? Nope, doesn't make sense.

Dennis Miller said it best: "Why hate someone based on the color of their skin, when if you just get to know them as a person, they'll give you much better reasons to hate them."

I hate:

people that decide to sight in their deer rifles without worrying about their backstop while I'm downrange...
    people that set up meth labs in cheap hotel rooms...
    people that decide to commit suicide/grievous harm to themselves in a place that is inherently dangerous to go in after them...
    people that come up to the back of my ambulance while I'm starting an IV and ask me to move the ambulance because they are blocked in...
    and others if I think about it

These are all prejudices. I have earned each of them. But notice that none of them are race-dependent. I never saw the guy(girl?) withthe rifle, but most of the other folks were the same color as me.

20. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    I agree. It just doesn't make sense to me.