1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Binding Tuners?

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by mchildree, Mar 28, 2006.

1. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    My NS Cleveland has an E-string tuner that's binding for some reason. I thought it might be the string wrappings being forced into the pegbox sides, but it happens with no string installed as well. I've tried lubricating the gear with candle wax, as recommended by something I read but it didn't help. None of the others are like this. It's gotten hard enough to turn that I broke 2 string winders installing a new set of strings last weekend...

Anyone have any ideas or recommendations?

2. Jeff Bollbach

Jeff Bollbach Jeff Bollbach Luthier, Inc.

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    Often the problem is not with the juncture of the worm gear and the planetary gear but where the worm is pushed back the way into the key housing by the tension of the strings. Try making sure this spot is well lubricated.

3. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    I'll try that....Thank You Jeff!

4. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I think we are talking about the same place... under the "tabs" that the shaft of the worm gear sits in... get some 3-in-1 oil in there and detune/tune the gear to work the oil in... hth.

5. Brent Norton

Brent Norton

Sep 26, 2003
    Detroit, MI
    Also, double-check the screw right in the center of the cog that holds it in place... These can work their way loose, and if the cog is wanting out of alignment, this can also gum up the works. For best results, check and tighten the screw while the string is detuned.

6. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Proprietor Fifth Avenue Fret Shop. Technical Editor Bass Gear Magazine
    Interesting. I have the exact same issue but never bothered to do anything about it yet.

I did break a pegwinder off because of it. It felt very manly.

7. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    New Mexico. USA
    Another possibility is that there is inadequate clearance behind the plate. If you remove the plate you will see recesses carved into the wood for the worm gear and the tabs. They may need to be deepened.