black beauties? anyone?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Eric Sherlock, Apr 16, 2005.

1. Eric Sherlock

Eric Sherlock

Mar 8, 2005
    I have heard and read some great reviews about DR black beauties. I have Dean Markley's on my jazz right now but they are old and i need some new strings. I have tried fodera and La Bella and they were really expenisve and didn't last very long, although they sounded great. i hear that the DR's last really long and thats what i need right now. SO anyone who has experience with the DR black beauties, opinions please. how do they play/feel/sound....and mostly how long do they last?

2. I don't know if I can answer your questions very well, though. I use Black Beauties on my fretless, figuring the coating is easier on the bare rosewood than stainless, which is what I usually use. I can't discern a difference in tone between these & other SS strings, but I'm not real picky. I like Ken Smith Rock Masters, Dean Markley Cold Steels & DR High Beams strings on my fretted basses- whatever I can find. I just put a set of Thomastik Power Alloys on my 6- I like the tone, but the tension is tighter than what I was after.
    Bottom line:I like Black Beauties, they've done all I've asked of them, & I'm on my second set.
  3. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    I have the blacks on my warwick! they are great. Good looks with the great sound that they have always had. I also have the peacocks on my spector usa. Cant say a band thing about them except the blacks seem to lose some of the color if youre nails hit or you use a pick. I dont use a pick but my nails must barely hit the strings. But its not to the point that anyone would ever see any ways!
  4. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Did you try doing the denatured alcohol thing to your strings? That'll liven them right up. If you're set on getting a new set of strings though, I've played basses with them and thought they sounded fine. Can't comment on longivity though.

5. WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    I love 'em, 1 1/2 months and still going on one of my guitars, which gets played 3 or 4 times a week. I ordered a set for my bass, but haven't recieved them yet. The only place the coating has worn off is where the pick hits the strings, and they still have lots of brightness to them. Another hit from DR.
  6. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    I'm on my first set on my BC. I normally use Black Diamonds on my BC's but I can't buy them locally so I thought I would try the DR's.

First let me say, I really like the tone of these strings. The only word I can use to describe the tone is beautiful. After two weeks of every day play with a pick I am starting to notice wear on the coating in the picking area. Not bad at all by my standards.

I'll have to wait and see how long they keep their tone but if its anything like other DR's it will be awhile. :D

I say give them a shot!
  7. jpo259

Feb 2, 2005
    Corona, CA
    I've been using DR Black Beauties for almost 6 months now. I use them on my Warwick fretless, Fender Aerodyne, and my Pedulla MVP. Just got done rockin' 'em hard tonight on my fretless!! I really like the feel of them when they are new. They feel like a .40-.90 set of strings, even though they are .45-.105!!! Yeah, the finish wears off after a while. Sometimes faster, sometimes after a few weeks. I had a set ( I HAVE a set!) on my Aerodyne Jazz that wore away the first night I played them!! I was picking mighty hard that night, though! Hard enough to cut my finger wide open on the corner of the bridge J pickup!! The set that is on my Warwick fretless has been on there for about 5 weeks now, and NO wear!! They sounded SICK tonight playing Yellow Ledbetter from Pearl Jam with KILLER DISTORTION!!! After that tune, sans the distortion, they still had plenty of snap, pop, and mwah after 5 weeks! And, of course, they look cool, too! On an all-black bass, like my Aerodyne and Pedulla, they really trip people out! I likes DR BB's!! :D
  8. bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    +1. Give them a shot. You'll be pleased.
  9. thisSNsucks

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    DR also has red devil (red coated strings) and blue peacocks (blue coated strings) I just saw the ad for them in bass guitar magazine this month, they look pretty cool
  10. I put a set on my Cirrus last year and they sucked all the life out of the bass. They felt great and looked great but my Cirrus lost all it's punch with them on it. The store I bought them from let me trade them back for a set of stock Cirrus strings.Seems like some strings just don't work on some basses.
  11. cdef

Jul 18, 2003
    DR Lo Riders have been my favorite strings for years, but I recently tried a set of BB's on my P-bass copy. Verdict: not bad at all, but less tension than I prefer; also, the top end is kind of soft (to be expected, since they´re lacquered). Overall, a bit more mid-growly than LR's, with less of that clean zingy punch, and they don't seem to respond quite as dynamically to 'digging in'. For a coated string, way better than Elixirs, though. Many will like the BB's, they lasted well, but felt a little too genteel for me. I'll stay with LR's.
  12. Maxicooper

Mar 17, 2009
    Columbia, MD
    Just got a set on my Aerodyne Jazz. Awesome. :D

Love it.

13. Boostedrex

Feb 24, 2009
    Lincoln, CA
    Replaced the stock Elixers that came on my SR500 with a set of the DR black beauties yesterday. Only have an hour or two with the new strings, but I'm really liking them so far. Very smooth feel, and a really nice bright tone to them. They don't seem as "slick" as the Elixers, but I'm not so sure that's a bad thing. They look great to boot! Here's mine with them installed:

14. Jackal4277

Mar 24, 2009
    I used the Black beauties for some time a long time ago...You would like them if you are going for a warm sound. I wouldnt use them now for Metal/Metalcore style i play because they thud out quick in my opinion. They look awesome but after a month the black will come off and look not so good. Hope that helps.
  15. mullet0909

Oct 24, 2006
    I'd like to second Jackal4277's comment. I love DR strings but i prefer their Hi Beams over their coated strings. Thats only because i prefer a brighter sound, though. Their coated strings look awesome but are very warm and tend to die out pretty quickly. I really find that after the same amount of usage, the hi beams are brighter. If you want coated strings that are brighter and last long, i would pay a little more and go with Elixir strings. However, if you are looking for a warmer tone i would go with the DR coated strings. However, after a while, they start to sound like flatwounds. That probably why people with fretless basses like coated tone. Hope this helps.
  16. I use them on my 6, and I must say they are wonderful strings. After almost two months they are super-bright and have retained a spectacular tone. The coating does wear off, but it's actually kind of neat because it gives you specific indication of where you are attacking the strings - a cool factoid, if nothing else.

Buy them, you'll love them.
  17. lowend219

Sep 17, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    I use them, I like them. As far as longevity goes. I play my main bass every single day and I get about 2 months, sometimes close to 3 out of them before I have to change them. That being said I don't get new strings until I absolutely have to.
  18. tom e smith

tom e smith

Jan 27, 2008
    They are killer. I use them on my Black P Bass (with Black pickguard) with a maple neck. They look almost as good as they sound!
  19. ive got black beauties on my Kawai and i love em, they have a great, bright tone that can really cut through when you need it to, so far one set has lasted me about 2 1/2 years
    hope that helped,
  20. Gopherbassist

Jan 19, 2008
    I've got to say I love the way they look. I've got them on my main bass, and now whenever I pick up one with stainless or nickel strings they look funky. I don't like them as much as Nickel Lo Riders, but I do like them more than and D'Adarios I've used.