Black Metal Bassists

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by DoomandHeavy, Feb 26, 2009.

1. Hey does anyone here like Black Metal? I'm a huge fan of the genre and was wondering if anyone would like to talk about bass players in this dark and evil form of music. Does anyone know of any Black Metal bands with audible bassists? I know of Barathrum(they've got two bassists), Necromantia(no guitarists in this band), the guy from Mortuary Drape, Teratism who's bass player uses a six string fretless, and B-War of Marduk who was on their Panzer Division Marduk album.

2. Gbassman815

Gbassman815

Feb 22, 2009
    i'm with you brother. i love death metal....although i kind of like it when the bass and guitar meld into one dark sound that almost hurts your eardrums to listen to:bassist::D

3. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger

Sep 22, 2005
    The following black metal albums have some pretty amazing basswork:

Mayhem-DeMysteriisDomSathanas.jpg

NOKTURNAL-MORTUM-Goat-Horns.jpg

Ulver-Bergtatt.jpg

drudkhestrangement.jpg

Although really, as big of a black metal fan as I am, it has nothing to do with the bass. :D

4. Damn, how did i forget about Ulver, Nokturnal Mortum, Drudkh,and Mayhem's bass players? Its cool to see theres some other fans of dark, evil, and misanthropic music. What kind of settings and effects do you guys use for playing Black Metal? I personally use lots of mids and highs, and finger pick in the middle of the body. Also have you guys heard the early Hellhammer stuff? The bass in that is freaking nasty!

5. Pedulla?

Pedulla?

Nov 18, 2008
    St. Louis, MO
    You can't ever hear but I have a lurking suspicion that the guy from Dimmu is pretty good . There are tons of good Death Metal bassists but then again you didn't say anything about Death Metal, so probably would just side step your question.

6. Have any of you guys ever try doing a gallop under the tremolo picking? It sounds pretty badass, and gives a song an odd feeling.

7. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Ulver and Drudkh are epic good. :D

8. Your41Plague12

Your41Plague12

Oct 30, 2007
    Vortex is a great bassist. I've seen him live from the front row; he's not one to stick around and play roots.

TS, I'm also a huge black metal fan. Check out early Dimmu Borgir. The two albums to which I'm referring are For All Tid and Stormblast. Specifically check out Stormblast. The bass plays the role of a melody instrument for a lot of the time. Lots of dark, somber bass lines as well as lots of great melodies. Black Metal Landmark, if you ask me :smug:

9. excane

excane Inactive

Aug 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    And one more to the list is Besatt. Very cool tone for a black metal band.

10. excane

excane Inactive

Aug 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Let's also not forget the mighty Emperor.

11. HelloJerk

HelloJerk

Dec 28, 2008
    La Jolla, CA
    Living_Colour-Vivid.jpg

Marihino and bkbirge like this.
  12. chanson

chanson Supporting Member

I love Black Metal. It's generally not about the bass though. As as bass player, it's really never bothered me though.

13. hrgiger

hrgiger

Jan 11, 2009
    Cronos?? jk

14. undeadbass

undeadbass

Jun 27, 2008
    New York, NY
    Check out the last Arcturus album, which he sings on (in fact, check out all the Arcturus albums).
    While not specifically black metal, it is rooted in the scene (Hellhammer from Mayhem, Dimmu Borgir, and just about every band from Norway on drums, Vortex from Dimmu Borgir on vocals, Garm from Ulver on vocals, Ihsahn from Emperor did some guest vocals... you get the picture). Great dark metal.

And a definite +1 to Ulver. While I'm more of a fan of their later stuff (the cool ambient electronic stuff), their first 3 albums are awesome as well!

15. Antietam 1862. Saw them live.

16. ErebusBass

ErebusBass

Feb 20, 2008
    Madison, WI
    I could never forget about Emperor. Have you ever seen them live? They KILL.

Anyone here ever heard of Woods of Ypres? Really groovy stuff and their bassist has a killer tone.

17. Black Metal is one of tose genres that because its often supposed to be stripped down (soundwise) the bass often is heard loud and clear. However its not that often that the bass player really does anything outstanding. Its usually about keeping to the roots. Drudkh is a good example of a band that does make more of the bass than other black metal bands. At least on the latest two releases (which are the only ones I've heard).

18. Dertygen

Dertygen

Dec 21, 2008
    A-Town, Colorado
    Literally.

19. erix

erix

Sep 24, 2005
    Washington DC
    Well Venom possibly invented Black Metal in the UK in the 80's and their bassist, Kronos, was excellent. Also look for NunSlaughter.

20. excane

excane Inactive

Aug 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Yes, I have :)

Summer of 2006 they reunited for a short tour, saw them at B.B. King's Blues Club in Manhattan.

The one thing that sucked was Samoth was not there, problems with his visa or something, blah blah. Ihsahn gave a little speech about being sorry he couldn't make it, but nonetheless they were incredible.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021