Black Metal Bassists

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by DoomandHeavy, Feb 26, 2009.

1. HashbrownCOBM

HashbrownCOBM

May 6, 2008
    You gotta try this pedal then if yer into black metal. AWESOME!

2. excane

excane Inactive

Aug 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    The Valnott has been posted before but I still get a kick out of it :D

I just love the part where he demo's it with bass. Epic.

3. hrgiger

hrgiger

Jan 11, 2009
    That sounds awesome - where can a guy hear some of that?

4. ErebusBass

ErebusBass

Feb 20, 2008
    Madison, WI
    I saw them at the House of Blues in Los Angelos on that same tour.

That was an amazing show, but it paled in comparison to the one I saw in Chicago in 2007. Samoth could make it that time. Best performance I've ever seen.

5. please elaborate. the only "couple of guys who used to be in Dream theater" are kevin moore, derek sherinian and the vocalist from the first album I can't remember the name, so I'm dead curious, and by succesful you mean you released any material?

6. undeadbass

undeadbass

Jun 27, 2008
    New York, NY
    It was their first vocalist (Chris Collins), and a drummer that was in the band before Portnoy (yes, there was a drummer before him when the band was still called Majesty - revisionist history is funny like that).

We released a couple demos, and did some cool shows in NY, but kept screwing up when push came to shove. By that, I mean successful when it came to any of my black metal projects, because all the other ones didn't even get off the ground.

I think there's a myspace page still up - search for Winterspell.

7. He's not mixed the best, but the first bass player for Seattle epic/melodic black metal band Inquinok, Hrothgar, was pretty fantastic.

I know they're not exactly pure BM, but Audrey from Amesoeurs plays some simple but sweet bass lines on the Ruines Humaines EP.

8. I'm loving the basswork on The Somberlain album from Dissection. Has anyone listened to Grand Belial's Key? They have a nice thick compared to most Black Metal

9. steele

steele

Jan 11, 2008
    lol........black metal

10. Relayer71

Relayer71 Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2009
    NYC
    That's funny... yet true (from my limited point of view anyway). Not a huge fan of the genre but have listened to some of it and really, the bass is never that clear in the mix... just an ominous thud or drone.

11. Relayer71

Relayer71 Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2009
    NYC
    Ok, this is probably closer to what I meant to say.

12. paradigm_shift

paradigm_shift

Mar 29, 2007
    Shining

13. WuvMuffin72

WuvMuffin72

Aug 12, 2009
    Ross Sewage of Ludicra is my personal bass hero when it comes to black metal. He does a lot of interesting passing tones for Ludicra's last album, Fex Urbis, Lex Orbis

Although, Ludicra, imo, isn't technically Black Metal, but they're still heavily influenced by Black Metal. I'd say they're somewhere between Melodic Black Metal and Punk.

http://www.myspace.com/ludicra

Anyways, LOVE THEM.

14. Korladis

Korladis Inactive

You can hear Vortex way better during his time with Borknagar. Still pretty hard to hear with the 'wall of sound' production, but his bass playing is pretty sick.

I'm a big fan of black metal, and play in a black metal band myself.
    Notable bassists in the genre include:

Tyr - Borknagar, ex-Emperor (live member)
    ICS Vortex - Dimmu Borgir, ex-Borknagar
    Grutle Kjellsen - Enslaved
    Hugh Mingay - Arcturus, ex-Ulver, ex-Ved Buens Ende
    Kai K. Lie - ex-Borknagar
    Robin "Graves" Eaglestone - December Moon, ex-Cradle of Filth
    Lars Norberg - Ihsahn's solo band, Spiral Architect
    Ihsahn - lead guitarist but played some pretty grooving bass on the last two Emperor records
    Mortiis - ex-Emperor

And of course, me - Hallowed Earth. Not to be conceited or anything. ;)

15. Korladis

Korladis Inactive

I've always seen Ludicra as black metal. It's a very wide genre, IMO. They're one of my favorite bands.

16. Korladis

Korladis Inactive

I saw Emperor in 2006 and 2007. Amazing, simply amazing both times. Happiest shows I've ever been to, in terms of the crowd, too. I looked back and there were so many smiling faces, it was great (I was right up front both times).

17. WuvMuffin72

WuvMuffin72

Aug 12, 2009
    I got around to looking through my Black Metal stuff. I think my view on Black Metal may have been a little jaded when the first Black Metal band introduced to me was Archgoat... my god they were disconnected.

Ludicra, Ulver, Gorgoroth and the other stuff was introduced to me later. I couldn't see them as Black Metal (funny that I mentioned Gorgoroth).

Also, Borknagar is friggin' amazing.

18. MeanBassMachine

MeanBassMachine

Aug 5, 2009
    Emperor
    Morbid Angel
    Ulver
    Enslaved

Hell O from Slovenia EU

19. Korladis

Korladis Inactive

Couldn't see Ulver and Gorgoroth as black metal? Archgoat must have been.... impression making. Gorgoroth and early Ulver are about as black metal as they come.

Borknagar is amazing, yes. I especially love their album Quintessence.

20. volsun

volsun

Nov 10, 2008
    Ireland
    Bergraven - dodsvisioner. As busy and audible as BM bass gets.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 21, 2021